Is 20,000 a little steep

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
I found a stallion I am in love with. He has been to Nationals and won. perfect conformation.

But his price tag is 20,000. I have never heard of the farm that owns him and there is no way I can afford that price tag. Is it just me or does anyone else think this might be a little steep. No flames please, I just would like to know what is considered a practical price for one with a winning show record and great conformation.

Thanks

Well, there are minis that go for way more than that... none of them happen to be in my back yard though :bgrin

Well, does he do dishes and windows also ?? IMO there are a huge number of good horses that can be bought for a much lower price. I have seen some pretty nice animals with backgrounds that say quality that I would look at before thinking of spending that kind of money.

I guess that depends... I know for sure he wouldn't be worth $20,000 to me!

I think a stallions price should reflect what he produces and a good show record is an added bonus.

A superb producer of top quality foals might well be worth a price tag like this, but if he can't produce as good as himself or better then it would not be a sound investment IMO.

That's not a lot of money for some horses in a lot of breeds and I've been around some that cost a whole lot more than that. Some people would consider it pocket change. My brother in law dabbles in thoroughbreds and that is probably a good price for one of his lesser weanlings if you catch him on a day when he's feeling generous.

I didnt think about offspring so I checked th studbook, he doesnt have any babies registered to him.

Yes some folks would consider it pocket change but I,m blue collar and can only buy one or two horses a year(reasonably priced) a purchase like this would wipe me out for the next 5 years. Hey about a loan from your brother n law Marty :lol: :bgrin :lol:

Depends on the breed, but even for the less popular breeds or pony breeds a National Champion stallion (proven as a sire or not) for $20K doesn't seem at all out of line.

In many areas of the horse world $20K won't go very far at all. You can easily tack an extra zero to the price and STILL not buy the top horse.

I found a stallion I am in love with. He has been to Nationals and won. perfect conformation.

But his price tag is 20,000.
First of all is it a Miniature? Because 20k for other breeds that have won at Nationals is cheap. Infact too cheap.

I also think that you are under the misconception that a National Champion has PERFECT conformation. Atleast that is what you said. There is not a horse on the fact of the earth that has perfect conformation. A National Champion just means that he was better than the other horses that were shown against him on that given day. And then you are also only dealing with opinions.

Also, what was he National Champion in? Youth, Hunter, Color? That is also important to know.

If you are buying to to breed, most importantly is his ability to produce. Some National Champions don't produce squat. So finding his babies and looking at the mares they are out of will give you a better idea if that is what you want. Don't just look at babies. Look at older horses as many are cute as babies and mature to be course and low quality.

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
In the gaited Saddlebred world $20,000.00 would of been a steal! It all depends upon the horse, but if he is a mini and dont have any registered foals out of him, and is a age where he should of produced some offspring, I know even IF I could afford it ...I wouldnt! There are alot of horses who are beautiful and doing very well at shows for ALOT less, its a buyers market out there. And then you will always have people who buy a $20,000. horse just to say they own a horse of this caliber, weather they can afford it or not. For me, a few of the zeros would have to come off... :bgrin Corinne

Sometimes people put a high price on a horse that they are no hurry to sell, but would let go if a high price was met......perhaps your stallion falls into that catagory.

MA

i think theres a lot more that goes into a horses price then just a show record.

Farm recognition, pedigree etc all play in here too.

For example I know you cannot purchase a Buckeroo son for under 30,000.000 (or right around there) now im talking weanling colt. No show record etc. but you are buying much more then just the colt. you are buying his breeding and the reputation of Little King etc. Little King puts a ton of money into advertising and promoting their horses so if you buy one from them they are also promoting your horse. So yes they are definately worth the price they command. want to clarify i do not own any Little King horses LOL just using this for an example
default_smile.png

Obviously this seller thinks their horse is worth this amount!! So to take this horse off the farm that is what it will take. And i love seeing minis sell in this price range because that is good for all of us even if we dont all have horses in that price range.

Last edited:
It depends on the horse, your program and your goals. To get a horse to Nationals with a top trainer who campaigns him locally and to win a National Champion in halter or driving well if you figure in the price of that alone it is alot of money and some trainers at 250-350 a month + show fees and such.. it can very well be worth it to get a horse who has done that already and save yourself some money on that part so you can look at it that way as well

There was a lady at my barn in Florida who was trying to sell her quarter horse gelding.

I had him green broke and was trying to finish him off for her. He was coming along, but

quite slowly. So she got ants in her pants and decided to sell him for $800. way below his value, to get a older and well broke horse that she could ride right away. There were

no bites on this horse at all after she advertised him for a month. She then took out

an add in the Florida Horse Newspaper and they ran the add for $8,000 by mistake. Her phone began to ring,

and she got a lot of reponse. She ended up selling him for $3500.

Maybe we should all up the prices on our sales horses and see what happens then.

"Maybe we should all up the prices on our sales horses and see what happens then."

Not a bad idea, really. Many times potential buyers associate a "bargain price" with a "bad deal" and not just in horses, either...
default_yes.gif
: When raising your asking price you can also target a different type of buyer and it leaves you more open to negotiation. An abundance of higher prices may also indicate to potential buyers that the industry is doing well.

I want to see babies on the ground before even considering a large purchase. $20,000 is a lot more than a large purchase for me. :new_shocked:

Maybe we should all up the prices on our sales horses and see what happens then
My grandfather used to raise hogs. When the market was bad he would always up the price and they would sell fast.
default_wacko.png
: Go Figure.

Robin

In the time we have had minis we have seen people that would think that a $20,000.00 stallion is not good enough for them and some that if the same stallion was priced a $500.00 they were getting ripped off and would never pay that kind of money. Thankfully most people are some where in between. Extremely high prices sometimes may turn off a potential mini owner but at the same time if prices advertised are to low it makes the industry look like it is about to crumble. Just look at the ostrich industry or what is left of it.

Only spend what you can afford to and get the best availble for your money you can.

In the mini world that is a pretty high price for the average person, but with a purchase like that I'd want to be able to make sure I had mares worthy of him and that I had an advertising budget to keep his name out there. The purchase price is just the beginning of continuing the breeding program, his foals would need to be shown and regular placement of his "face" in publications to keep his name on peoples minds.

I still remember a stallion quite a few years ago that was just gorgeous and had a huge ad about him and how much he sold for and where he was going, then never saw another word about him. I still wonder about him and what he has sired.

krisp

he doesnt have any babies registered to him.......... Then I would not pay that price. For that amount of money I want to see what he has sired. Perhaps a lease to buy after I get some foals............... Some big time winning stallions didn't do much after they were retired to the breeding shed.

Back