Irish Wolfhounds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Does anyone here own an Irish Wolfhound? I'm just curious about the breed. What can you tell me about them?

I worked for a man who bred and hunted (coyotes) with them many years ago. They were very gentle with people but heaven help anything that ran. Cats were in grave danger around them. Not really sure if it is a breed trait or if it was because they were used to bring down coyotes.

I know a Cardigan breeder who also has Wolfhounds...I can talk to her about it if you'd like

~kathryn

LOL!! - just remembering the few that I have known in the past! Great dogs, can be a bit timid, which seems strange given their size. But none of the ones I knew had much intention/idea of 'training'. Had a youngster in the obediences classes I attended with my dog several years ago. The owner gave up after 6 months of trying - the dog simply didn't want to know/intend to know anything about being trained LOL!! Then back in the 1980's I stayed at a well known country estate with my horse for some dressage training and they had three Wolfhounds. Of course they are hunting dogs and everytime these three escaped from the immediate garden/grounds of the estate, they were off hunting (and they often escaped!) Immediate panic as the deer in the surrounding parkland were of course in danger, plus the hounds had no intention of obeying any recall shouts!

So, if you are thinking of getting one, I think it will depend upon your circumstances/your farm size/your perimeter fencing? Also on whether you have other dogs or not - you might find yourself with a 'pack' following the Hound on hunting expeditions!

Anna

They are fantastic dogs however they are VERY large. They can have a high prey drive (like others here have noted) They tend to be short lived (9 is considered old) and are proned to several health issues.

Be VERY careful who you buy from if you do get one. (miller/commercial breeders are now breeding them and selling for high dollar)

The vet clinic I worked at had a few as clients. They were very shy with strangers, kinda scarey because they were so big (fear biters were the worst to deal with very unpredictable) and my boss use to say they were a hard pet to own because they had a lot of heart problems & they had a short life span compared to other dogs.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I don't think that it's the breed for us.

Back