introduction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstTimeMiniMom

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm new here... trying to gather as much information as possible, I've just put down a deposit on my first mini , a little colt who is 5 weeks old. I have until October to learn all I can about the care of minis. So far, this site has been the most helpful of anything yet!

I look forward to hearing everyones advice and experience.

Here is a pic of my new baby, Im naming him Tic Tac

Tina

tic tac.JPG

thank you ! I'm already in love
default_smile.png

Welcome! Watchout... they are just like chips, can't stop at one!!

Hello there, and welcome from Southern Maryland, my nieces name is Tina, love your new colt he is really cute. Please post where you are located in your profile for future reference.

Terry

Aww...so cute! Your going to have a blast with this little one. Welcome from Oregon.

WELCOME!!!!!!!!
default_smile.png

He's cute!

Please jump right in and ask any questions you think of! And there are great Info pages here too.

And....the best people right here!

Welcome!! I put a deposit on my first mini this time last year and got her in October too!! We built a small barn and everything is going GREAT!! Lots of wonderful folks here to help and answer all your questions!! I learned so much here about minis and was so better prepared for when Misty came home!! Also bought her half sister so she would have a companion, couldn't resist!!!! You will LOVE your baby and have so much fun!! Keep us posted on your getting ready and post some more pictures if you can!!

i will! i plan to visit him often between now and oct, although its a 30 minute drive, its well worth it. will try and take some more photos tomorrow.

congratulations on your two sisters!

My new little one comes with a gelding contract. Can anyone share information about what that is?

I am planning to geld him, and train him for pet therapy. Our local children's hospital has a program for this. Just wasnt sure about this contract and the purpose for it.....

It is my understanding, that is means, that they feel he is "Pet Quality" and shouldn't reproduce and are requiring him to gelded. I've had contracts like that for dogs too.

That is great! For therapy work, they have to be gelded anyway, is my understanding too. They make better pets too. Although, the ones I have been around, are a bit goofy. LOL Where I board my mini mare, there are 3 of them, and they are so sweet, but just silly. Cute to watch them all together.

Can anyone tell me, is chain link an acceptable and safe type of fencing to use to separate my mini' s area from another part of the property that we want to keep him away from?

I hope my questions aren't too silly! I suddenly feel as if I don't know a thing, I've had many full size horses, but this is my first little treasure and I want to make sure he is safe and happy.

Thanks so much for all your input!

If the chain link is already installed you might get by with using it, but its not ideal horse fencing. Chain link often has sharp edges (just asking to cut a face or eyelid); it'll sag quickly if the horse rubs on it and you know that'll happen especially in the spring when they are shedding; and the holes in it are usually just right to get a hoof stuck. If you must use it, then add some electric fence to the horse side of it, to keep the horse from rubbing on it, leaning on it and in general touching it.

No Climb horse fence is usually the best for any size horse. I've had luck with feedlot panels, the 16' long mesh panels: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/feedlot-panel-cattle-16-ft-l-x-50-in-h They are usually put up with T-posts for temporary fencing or set-in wood posts for more permanent settings. I use these for my drylots and then a horse-safe mesh for pasture areas.

Back