Introducing our first foal of the season! *UPDATE*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, hopefully all is well soon.
default_pray.gif

Ellie and Erica are staying overnight at OSU.. Erica did not bag up like normal, and even once she went into labor/foal nursed, she still have a very small udder (she did have milk, looked and felt like normal colostrum, and Ellie seemed to be latching on, nursing and content). This morning when I went out to do chores, Ellie was laying down (sternal), but I could tell she wasn't alert/bright eyed like yesterday. She was weak and could not stand on her own, and when I got her up I noticed she was favoring a hind leg..

Called OSU and took her and Erica down to the clinic in Marysville. Her IgG levels were extremely low and she was starting to get a septic joint. She is getting antibiotics, plasma transfer and flushing the joint. We're hoping she only needs to be flushed once and will be able to come home tomorrow on antibiotics.

I typically do not to IgG tests on my foals as long as long as everything goes normal, and the mare does not drip/stream milk prior to foaling. I am kicking myself in the rear for not following my gut on having the vets out Saturday after she was born, because Erica did not have much of an udder. I assumed since Erica had the colostrum/milk and Ellie seemed to be nursing normally she was getting enough milk. Thankfully we caught it in time and Dr. Welker is taking good care of her..

I will be buying the IgG at home snap tests so I can test every foal myself from now on.. In the 10 years I have been raising miniature foals, this is the first year I have had this happen.

Congrats on your stunning little girl. I am sending prayers that she gets well soon.
default_pray.gif

I'm so glad you caught this and got her in to be helped! Prayers & cyber hugs - your way for all of you.

Take care.

Poor little girl! I'm so glad you caught it when you did. Good job! We're all hoping and praying for a speedy recovery for your beautiful little filly! Hugs!
default_xreiter.gif

Congratulations!!! I am so glad that she is coming back home. No place like home to get well
default_yes.gif

Back