Introducing a Miniature Stallion with a 15.2 H 35 yr old Gelding??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLover2006

Reaction score
I have been thinking about these 2 miniature horses that I am Hopefully getting. One is a stallion and the other is a mare. I would really like for all 3 of them to get along while grazing on grass. I don't want my gelding to get hurt. They would have different pens at night and when they aren't grazing.

I would inrtoduce them threw a chain link fence for about a week or as long as they needed.

Would they all be able to get along with each other?

My gelding personality is: Very sweat, laid back, old, not a mean bone in his body.

The mare's personality is: Very friendly, only 31",

The stallions personality: Very friendly, only 29",

Just thought I might add there height......

I asked the owner if they would get along with my gelding and I told her about him and she wrote back...

"If they would get along with your gelding...I don't know. My big horses are not very good with them but they are all mares!!

I have a weanling Arab colt and he is doing fine with a mini stallion I have here boarding. I guess I would just depend on your gelding. Both are very friendly and doing great with bath,clip, farrier & vet."

Does any one else have any experience with this??????

I don't know whether or not they'd get along, but I wouldn't be putting minis and full-size together regardless of age. Accidents happen... Minis' heads are just too close to full-size hoof height for kicking (whether stomping a fly or doing it on purpose). I'd keep them separate, but able to see and smell each other.

My senior half-Arab gelding loves to talk with my mini stallion, but I have not, nor will I ever put them together on purpose. [Little beggers do escape now and then; both my stallion and one mare have escaped their pens to find themselves loose with full-size, no harm done. Escape routes are now better fenced.]

Well see my mom has had her gelding ever since he was 18 months old. He is not the one to be mean and never ever shows any aggression what so ever. I am thinking that the stallion will be bossing my old gelding around and he would listen too. Monolido never kicks at any thing he is the type to run away. He is a lover not a fighter. He is even carefull not to step on my chihuahua, chickens, and turkeys. I just hope everything works out good and they will be able to graze with each other with out any problems......
default_yes.gif
:

No aggression is needed.

A friendly slap when playing, a kick out at a fly when a small head is in the way- result, dead Mini!!

Do a search on the Forum archives here- you will come up with a number of different opinions but it is not something I would ever entertain doing.

And I have done it in the past.

And I have got away with it.

That is all it ever is...getting away with it.

They can share a fenceline and still be friends but on my place they would never be going in together.

Not to mention the fact that a 35 year old gelding really should NOT have to be putting up with the antics of a young upstart who knows no better!!

My gelding isn't the type to play or to kick out at a fly. I know this horse like the back of my hand. He has been everywhere been with everything and back around again...He is a very experienced old guy. I understand what is being said but only I know my gelding and what he is capable of doing.

If I were to search more about this topic in this Forum what would I type in?

It does not matter if any of them don't have a mean bone in their body. It only takes one stampeed to set them to running and someone can be creamed over. It only takes one playful bite, It only takes one little kick up bucking..........It only takes very little for someone to get dead. Please don't try this. Cross fence and separate.

My big gelding likes the minis too........from the other side of the fenceline.

I would also be very concerend about putting the mare out with the stallion as well if she is not bred, nor do you want her bred. The stallion might run her to exhaustion, or she might kick the snot out of him.

Well see my mom has had her gelding ever since he was 18 months old. He is not the one to be mean and never ever shows any aggression what so ever.

Does not matter one bit. I've had my gelding for 24 years. Put him with minis? Never in a million years.

I am thinking that the stallion will be bossing my old gelding around and he would listen too

You'd be surprised how fast things can change. Your horse may decide to defend his territory. The stallion might fight him for it and to establish dominance not only over him, but for the mare. Either way the outcome could prove serious damage to one or all.

I just hope everything works out good and they will be able to graze with each other with out any problems....

This is wishful thinking and I do hope you do not follow through and experiement like this.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

I understand what you are saying. I guess the only way is to find out how they will act towards each other is on different sides of the fence. I wouldn't want a dead or injured mini.

The mare is already bred to him as I said on a different topic/post on here. She is due in April.

They are kept with each other already and the owner says they get along great.

I have a fenced off pasture too filled with grass that I could putt them in for grazing time, seperate from ym gelding.

I could always put the stallion away from both the mare and my gelding.

I went to the AMHA website and I found that:

Q. Is it okay to turn my Miniature Horse out with large horses?

A. Ideally Miniature Horses should share their own pasture. While Miniature Horses have been known to successfully pasture with large horses, doing so adds a real and increased risk to the Miniature. One friendly or not-so-friendly kick or bite from the large horse could significantly injure the Miniature.

It is possible but a risk.

I agree with Marty.Ya wouldn't catch me turning a mini out with the big horses. Why would ANYONE want to take the chance? JUST STUPID!!

I went to the AMHA website and I found that:

Q. Is it okay to turn my Miniature Horse out with large horses?

A. Ideally Miniature Horses should share their own pasture. While Miniature Horses have been known to successfully pasture with large horses, doing so adds a real and increased risk to the Miniature. One friendly or not-so-friendly kick or bite from the large horse could significantly injure the Miniature.

It is possible but a risk.
Not a risk I'm willing to take.

I've seen what two full-size horses can do to each other, so I'm certainly not going to put a horse 1/3 the size in the mix and see what happens.
default_wacko.png
:

My husband's young AQHA mare kicked my senior half-Arab gelding, a few years ago, and left a hematoma on his belly the size of a grapefruit; if that had been a mini on the receiving end, it wouldn't have survived. As it was, I had to doctor my gelding for over a week to get the size reduced and get him comfortable; it took another couple weeks or more for complete heeling.

From my experience, a breeding age stallion kept with a mare is going to want to "protect" her from any other males, gelded or not. I've had a 29" stallion get through a fence to my 16 hand tall gelding, and the mini beat the gelding up pretty bad, mostly bites, until I could get them separated (my gelding is very gentle and didn't fight back, just tried to get away from the little cuss!)

In my opinion, big horses and minis shouldn't be kept together, for the sake of safety, and especially not mixing stallions of any size into it. It can take only seconds for a horrific injury to happen, or death. I personally wouldn't do it.

Like I said in a couple posts ago......

I understand what you are saying. I guess the only way is to find out how they will act towards each other is on different sides of the fence. I wouldn't want a dead or injured mini.

The mare is already bred to him as I said on a different topic/post on here. She is due in April.

They are kept with each other already and the owner says they get along great.

I have a fenced off pasture too filled with grass that I could putt them in for grazing time, seperate from ym gelding.

I could always put the stallion away from both the mare and my gelding.

Latest posts

Back