interesting markings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
We just got a new mare yesterday and she has some spots the color of which I have only seen in the dog world... best described as blue merle...what is called in horses? the spots are not haloed (sp?) but a speckled merle color

Here she is all 28,50 inches of her.

DSC03484_2.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03478_2.jpg

I've found those kind of spots to be typical in my tobiano pintos who also carry sabino. Sabino tends to 'roan' the spots. Usually roan an area around the darker spots. I have a few here like that. Very pretty and colorful mare you have there!

Pretty mare! I second Becky-it is tobiano and sabino. I used to have a stallion that is her color/pattern twin.

I can't help you with the cause of the unusual markings, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be sure you test this mare for LWO if you are going to breed her to a stallion who is LWO positive or not tested. I have a daughter of this mare who is LWO + and I suspect she got it from Little Spots. It sure changed up my breeding plans. I bought her intending to breed her to my Rowdy grandson, but glad I had her tested first. She doesn't "look" like a Frame, but the lab says she is.

They are called ink spots. Its black skin showing up thru the hair. At least thats how I can best describe it lol. They say horses like your horse's pattern can be positive for homozyogous.

They say horses like your horse's pattern can be positive for homozygous.
I have heard this as well, but I have had some that are homozygous and some that aren't. The common variable was always sabino.

This mare had ink spots on her other side (can't see in this picture, but you can kind of see how some of her spots on this side look like they're getting there-her rump and shoulder on the other side had the ink spots) but her dam was solid chestnut with a blaze (no tobiano). Her sire was homozygous for tobiano and then both sire and dam were sabino.

PAB-left2.jpg

Here sire had ink spots and produced a lot of foals with the ink spots out of solid mares.

They are ink spots also called pawprints. A lot of tobianos have them. My old stallion had them everywhere. He was homozygous for tobiano.

265013_10150218159242109_687817108_7436218_4860650_n.jpg

268616_10150218159287109_687817108_7436220_7815099_n.jpg

Well now I am VERY curious to see if anyone has a tobiano with paw prints/ink spots that does NOT have sabino (no 'feathered' edges on their spots and no facial white or sabino roaning)? Please post pictures if you have one to ease my wondering mind
default_smile.png
So far I have yet to find paw prints on a horse without it, but then again it seems to be a rarity to find tobiano without some other pattern with it these days.

Thanks for all the good information..love seeing pictures hint hint...now to throw a wrench in the mix..her Dams side is heavy appaloosa breeding...does that change her 'spots'?????

Latest posts

Back