Interesting couple of days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
One of the ponies got injured on Sunday (nothing too big, though it could have been - she somehow cut her bottom eyelid, but the eye is fine).

That started the people I live with thinking more about the farm and whether they should keep it. He is 62 and she is 56. He is retired and does all the hard labour on the farm, as well as morning chores. I help by doing stalls, evening chores and whatever else I can to help. She works full time (more than full time, sometimes up to 14 hours a day) and due to that and health issues cannot get out to the barn more than once or twice a month. The only people who use the ponies are a family that comes up to ride and in the summers they show the horses.

We have seven dogs (four of them are breeding stock), nine ponies (ranging from a year old to 28 years old) and two babies coming in the spring, two rabbits, four pigs, three sheep, about 30 or more chickens and some ducks. It's a LOT to handle.

She told me in an email this morning that they had a long talk about selling the farm. She is not able to get out there and take care of the ponies, which are hers for the most part, and she feels insanely guilty about it and it's just so, so much work. They are also in some serious financial trouble and need to protect their retirement before they lose everything.

All of this is understandable, and I think it would be the best thing for them. It unfortunately leaves me in a bit of a lurch. There is no way that I will find a place as great as this for me. These two people are two of the kindest people I've ever met. They have helped and supported me immeasurably since I moved her last February and treat me as family, rather than a tenant and employee. They are flexible when I need them to be, they have let me use their car for the last month while mine has been broken (though I have certainly not abused it, only using it when I have to). They have a farm truck that can be used, but it is still very kind of them to allow me to use it. She lent me $400 for my trip to Ontario without me asking for it. They are just amazing!

They are thinking of putting the farm on the market in March or April. They want to find a place that backs onto a green space in the valley. They will keep the five little dogs and want to try and keep the two older ponies, or place them in a retirement home together. The other animals will be sold or given away. I'm somewhat hoping that they find a place that's small and can keep the two older ponies, and the big dogs as well. The two big dogs are who I'd miss the most out of all the animals.

I would still be able to keep doing agility with one of their dogs, which is great and keep in contact with them, but it will be disappointing moving.

Life is anything but boring, isn't it? I hope things go well with this change in yours.

Thanks crponies! It certainly isn't!
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back