insurance Canceled/Reinstated due to my "Dangerous Dog"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
This is my month for he** I guess. First my dog has problems, then my doctor tries to kill me, now i get a letter from our Homeowner's Insurance that its been cancelled due to their Dangerous Dog policy. German Shepherds are on their Dangerous Dog list. I about fell over. I mean really, nearly fell in my tracks. No big letter just two sentences about it. This is some new insurance company we're with that came out and inspected our house.

I'm sick so I'm really cranky and decided your resident wus needs to step up and fight back for Amy's honor. And guess what? It paid off.

OMG what nerve picking on my dog who wouldn't hurt a fly! And that's what I said and told them that I was offended by that. I further presented my case that Amy was not a danger to anyone and never has been. I told them she had her Good Citizenship Certificate, is non-aggressive, loves everyone she meets, very well socialized, shops all the time at Lowe's, Tractor Supply and was always a welcome face at Home Depot, Petco, Petsmart and has never caused any trouble and makes visits at our favorite nursing home a couple times a year. I provided pictures of all of the above and newspaper clippings she was in.THEN, after all that, they consulted with the inspector that confirmed she suckered him into throwing the ball for her a few thousand times when he was here and was certainly not a threat. GEE WHIZ! So the very next day my insurance was reinstated.

So if this happens to any of you guys, please please please stick up for your good doggy!

This has been a public service announcement!

Heidi if you are reading this you need to call me!

BIG BIG smile here in Texas
default_yes.gif
GOOD for you!!!
default_firstprize.gif

I had a problem once in getting home owners insurance because I owned a doberman. I talked the agent into meeting my dog. He was reviewed by the underwriters. They took copies of my training certificates and after all the kisses and slobbers agreed my dog was not a threat. They did make me install a 5 foot fence though just to be sure..Ps..my giggle was that my dog was well known for his flatulance. He turned the air green. ..my agent laughed and said he wasn't so sure I couldn't get sued for obnoxious odors. Lol .always pays to have obedient dogs and to be ready to negotiate... good tip...thanks for sharing I will always remember that agents face when my dog passed gas in his office..very very funny

Last edited by a moderator:
We have to pay a higher amount because we own a pit/lab mix. My hubby gladly pays for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into a different company, but they wouldn't cover me because I had horses! HELLO??? This is TEXAS. EVERYONE has horses!

I haven't changed insurance companies but every few years they updated and I get asked about dogs and I have shepherds but once I explain about their training, their Canine Good Citizen certificates, it's okay. I have read that there are many insurance companies who won't take on new customers with "dangerous dogs" and if you look at the list, there are some surprising breeds on the list.

Marty, you deserve a break. You've had a rough month.

I had an insurance company tell me they wouldn't cover me because I had "saddle" animals. what???? I have mini horses, no big boys. Tried to tell them but no, rules are rules. Go figure.

"Dangerous" dogs and "attractive nuisance" animals (horses, especially) have been an insurance consideration for many years. There was a time when Shepherds were not on the list but, noticed several yrs back that changed.

While ALL dogs can bite and horses can definately kick, bite, etc., I've often wondered why that 2000# + bull was considered "ok"
default_whistling.gif

It pays to have documents for those dogs!!!! It truly is a liability for the insurance company, we all know that but, consideration for the individuals is good. Actually, they could very well have just said NO...........many do, as they can't determine next animal.

Congrats on having had her in such a great attitude for this reality check.

Good for you Marty!! I have spent a lot of time around dogs of many different breeds and I have been bitten more often by small, timid, poorly trained and socialized dogs than by any of the so called "dangerous breeds" If we don't stand up to those who want to lump all our big dogs under the 'dangerous' category it will be the uneducated who make the rules and those of us who enjoy the companionship and assistance in our day to day lives of big dogs will be out of luck.

Bess, it wouldn't be such a liability for insurance companies if the courts would use some common sense in judging lawsuits IMO

I have had shepherds and dobermans..but by far the most "dangerous" dog I have ever owned was a 6 lb minpin.. I do carry extra insurance for my miniature horses. There was a local case where a biggie horse got out and was running around road in dark. Owner and friends were trying to catch. Horse was wearing blanket with reflectors...people had lights and were warning drivers to beware. Horse was hit by drunk driver that ignored warning. Driver injured sued owner of horse and won a ton of money. More to story just highlights but shocking enough for me to read to call my insurance agent to get a rider put on my policy to cover if my horses got out..

I have had shepherds and dobermans..but by far the most "dangerous" dog I have ever owned was a 6 lb minpin.. I do carry extra insurance for my miniature horses. There was a local case where a biggie horse got out and was running around road in dark. Owner and friends were trying to catch. Horse was wearing blanket with reflectors...people had lights and were warning drivers to beware. Horse was hit by drunk driver that ignored warning. Driver injured sued owner of horse and won a ton of money. More to story just highlights but shocking enough for me to read to call my insurance agent to get a rider put on my policy to cover if my horses got out..
Now that's what I mean when I say no common sense. Really, you were drunk and driving, you failed to respond appropriately to unknown flashes of light and you crashed? What if it had been a family out for a walk, would you have run them down too? Its all backwards to blame others when you show just plain bad judgement.
default_gaah.gif

Marty, This makes me think of BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) where different communities outlaw certain breeds of dogs. I'm glad you didn't allow the insurance company to push you around.

There are some very sad situations going on because of BSL..... including authorities taking a family dog away for no reason except it was not allowed, and then euthanized.

yep,,. locals were stunned that the person won. It was talk of the town as to how STUPID this one was. It made front page of local paper and changed how everybody viewed their risk.

We also recently switched insurance. They approved, then after the inspection, canceled. Three reasons: no railing on the front porch steps (Mark added one in 30 min), the roof dips on the back shed (It has for 20 years. It's filled with wood and Mark told them not to cover it.) and we are a horse breeding farm. WHAT???? When the inspector came out he asked about that, we explained that the stallion was sold years ago and we only have the five--and none wil be added. When Mark called about it, he said it was explained to the inspector that we do not breed horses, but the lady told him they found my website. Well, if they would READ the website it clearly states there are no horses for sale and we are no longer breeding. Good grief. We have two dogs--one 13 and Buddy--the ole lovebug. They had no problems with them. We found a new insurance--it was tricky due to horses.

Wow, for the folks who were canceled and then reinstated, you are lucky. Many companies will not as it's the rules. It's a crazy world.

The market is ripe for an insurance company that uses intelligence and common sense when deciding whom to cover. They would judge dogs individually, not by breed, and have ways of waiving rules for specific circumstances.

As horse and dog (and all animal) lovers, we need to promote and reward the companies that do right and shun those who do not.

While ALL dogs can bite and horses can definately kick, bite, etc., I've often wondered why that 2000# + bull was considered "ok"
default_whistling.gif
Probably because the bull is just property; not a pet, like a dog, and not an attractive nuisance like horses (horses draw people in, and seem to draw in dumb people). Not many people want to pet the bull...

Marty, GOOD FOR YOU for taking charge and being proactive on Amy's behalf; how wonderful that it paid off!

WOW! on some of the 'lousy insurance practices' stories in this thread!

Reignmaker....I firmly believe that in MANY, if not MOST, cases nowadays, it is already the 'uneducated'(and I'd add, the totally IGNORANT), who are making the rules. It is a large part of what is wrong in this country. I am a 'rule follower', but sometimes cannot BELIEVE the lack of logic/common sense in many of 'the rules'....

Guess I'll stay w/ my longtime insurer,who have asked questions but were honorable enough to recognize the truths. I have had a Rott, a Rottie cross, a very large Rhod. Ridgeback, and now have my rehomed Dobie. ALL have been/are great dogs, properly disciplined and trained, and while they have been great 'guardians of the premises', NONE has EVER presented any issues to the public. I say, how DARE these people presume to 'know' our individual circumstances and situations!

Margo

We were about to be cancelled, you'd not believe why! The reason was we were carrying the wrong farm insurance. WE had a homeowners policy and farm liability policy, they sent us a letter saying they were cancelling us because they visited our web-site and we have horses for sale and therefore needed to carry commercial farm insurance. HUH? I posted on this earlier in the year. WE asked them if they carried it since we had ins. with this company since 1977, and never filed a claim, they said no. So we shopped around, and agent came and inspected and we had a new policy the next day and it only cost us $20 more a month then the other two policies. It was an eye opener for me, as I've had horses forever and thought I was doing it all right to begin with. Oh and the cattle farm accross the road also sells their cattle but don't even have standard farm coverage and their cows get out and run in the road all the time.

Latest posts

Back