Information wanted on storeing colostrum

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise

Reaction score
I had an angel foal this morning and i am wanting to safe some of the colostrum. I have a few questions as i have never done this before. I have seen the pump info and need to know how to store and freeze the colostrm and also how much does a new foal need? How long is the colostrum good for after the mare foals? Any other information would also be apprecaited.

Thanks in advance.

Louise

First sorry on your lost
default_no.gif

What I have heard is:

Pour in ice cube container, than in freezer bags. lunch bag size is best so you only have to thaw some out and less waste.

I believe they need the colostrum within the first 12 hours so about 60 cc every hour than after this, feeding is 2-3 hours.

sorry I am guessing will go check out more info?

Only found this info so far, this is for full size horses.

If frozen colostrum is fed, a 100-lb. foal should receive 250 ml. (approx. 1 cup) of colostrum each hour for a total of six times before they are 24 hours old. This is a total of 1500 ml., or about 3 pints of colostrum. All breeding farms should have a minimum of 3 pints of equine colostrum stored in the freezer.

Maybe others can help

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry for your loss. The colostrum can be saved (frozen) for up to 2 years. As Reble has said, many freeze it in ice cube trays. What I do, is when I milk the mare, I pour it into a baby bottle. Since the bottle is marked in 1 oz increments, I pour and freeze mine in 2 oz baggies. I write the date, time and name of mare on the baggie. I make sure all the air is out of the bag before I zip it closed.

IMPORTANT: When useing your colostrum NEVER unthaw/defrost it in the microwave, as it kills all the required antibodies!! Thaw out in warm water (while still in bag) or at room temperature or in the fridge if you have time.

You should be able to keep it frozen until next foaling season. The vets I have spoken to seem to vary a bit between 8 months to a year for how long it is good for once frozen.

I am sorry for your loss

Latest posts

Back