Info on Lethal roan gene

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJMM6

Reaction score
We have several roan pinto mares. I lost a filly this spring & she just seemed to fade away within 3 days.

Several vets out & couldn't find the problem. I'm still so sad over this, :no: her name was;

CJMM Blue Boys Believe N Color.

Anyway, my mare is a blue roan pinto. I bred her to a Black/white pinto. Could the stallion of carried the

roan gene without showing it? :eek: Could my Evie have been a lethal roan? I bred the mare to a different stallion this year. Just wondering & would appreciate some input. Thanks a bunch.

There isn't a lethal roan gene, at least not in the sense that the foal is born alive & then dies because it is homozygous roan. That's how it works with homozygous frame, but not roan. There is the theory that if the foal is homozygous roan it will die in the early embryonic stage, but I believe that is just a theory.

What color was the filly? What pinto pattern are your horses? Any chance sire & dam were both frame overo, and that the filly was white in color, and homozygous for frame?

I'm sorry for your loss

The roan gene has not been isolated yet, but recent studies believe that the homozygous "lethal" roan theory is false. There are some horses are potentially homozygous for roan. Can't say for sure because there is no test.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would look to other reasons for her death, did you have an autopsy done?

No we didn't have an autopsy done. I will post a picture of the dam, CJMM Painted Princess Miriah

the sire Blueeberrys Blue Boys Oreo; the foal was a blue roan pinto. I don't think there is frame or overo envloved. cjmm thanks everyone for the info.

sire;;
f5987957.jpg

dam
f07e8d96.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The sire would be a blue roan like the dam pictured, if he had a roan gene. Therefore, your filly wasn't a "lethal roan."

The "roaning" that the sire appears to have, looks to me like it's due to the Sabino gene, not a TRUE roan.

I don't know what caused the loss of your filly, I am so sorry for your loss. It could be anything, only a vet autopsy could tell you what it was caused by.

Andrea

First off, I am so sorry for your loss

Both parents must be visibly roan in order to produce a homozyguous roan. That was an old theory and has been progeny disproven in the quarter horses (since there is no test) Basically there are aqha roan stallions that have produced 100% roan foals (50 or more foals per stallion in some cases)on roan and non roan mares. If I were you I would test your boy for the sabino gene but I do have an aqha mare that has several dun patches and is not a sabino and she does produce the classic roan foal on non roan stallions.

The roan gene has not been isolated yet, but recent studies believe that the homozygous "lethal" roan theory is false. There are some horses are potentially homozygous for roan. Can't say for sure because there is no test.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would look to other reasons for her death, did you have an autopsy done?
Ann Bowling's research on the issue which you refer to was done in the 1990's and has since been disproven by several ongoing research projects (that used horses, not just notoriously wrong AQHA progeny records which is all Ann Bowling was going off). The current theory that all other ongoing research projects support is that true roan is lethal to the embryo when homozygous.

It is my understanding that if roanx2 is the culprit, the foal dies in utero at an early stage, not after being born. They are reabsorbed. I've read this in serveral places over the years. So, with that thinking, it couldn't have been "lethal roan" that caused your loss. Sorry about her still, Joanie.

notoriously wrong AQHA records?
I don't know anything about AQHA records, but I would assume in regards to color they may be similarly wrong to AMHA and AMHR (with the exception that they don't have as many colors to choose from). Color listings on pedigrees have a high percentage of errors and if you rely ONLY on registration records and the colors listed, it could be easy to draw wrong conclusions.

Latest posts

Back