In heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markadoodle

Reaction score
My mare has been hand bred and was with the stallion in the field the first day. We know for a fact our stallion bred her, she was not in heat again we (including the stud) have checked. He was not interested in here even when we lead her over she was out of heat after him talking to her, so on and so forth, it's been 26 days. And she is back in heat, now... my friend has a mare that went in heat every season, and she kept getting fatter, and she was dieted worked and conditioned, low and behold she was bred first take and foaled a healthy beautiful foal after being in heat and very interested in the stud.. do you think she will be the same case?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was you I'd wait out this heat, dont breed her. Test her on day 38 with the Weefoal 38 test and if she comes up non pregnant you can breed her next heat. Breeding if she is pregnant COULD cause her to abort or absorb. I wish you luck.

It is very rare to show heat every cycle even though bred... the rule of thumb is to treat a mare in heat as not pregnant unless confirmed otherwise. I'd rebreed.

I am with Nathan. What is her normal cycle length?

I realize it is not always exact to the day but I do figure (without looking at a calander) that every month is normal so it would be very normal that she did not take and is truly cycling again- much more so then her having settled and showing heat again after 1 month

I've had bred mares act a little bit like they are in estrus on the first cycle following the breeding. They will not let the stallion mount, however. If she is showing heavy estrus behavior, she's probably not bred.

Thanks guys, a lot. I read the reply's- her normal heat cycle isn't due quite yet.

*Nathan Luszcz))) I will put her in a large pasture with him when i'm out there to see what happens.

*attwoode))) She wont let him mount or come near her rear but she is pretty 'flirty' and is winking anytime he is around.

*weerunner))) I will think about the 38 day test thank you.

Mark a Doodle:

I logged on tonight to ask almost the same question. Put mares with the stallion through two heat cycles (March & April). Observed the stallions (2 different stallions with two different groups of mares) complete their job. Mares appeared to have been bred successfully and did not show any heat. Then walla this week one mare from each group is turning her butt to the stallion, appears to be winking and even squirting. Thought Oh crap, they slipped or didn't settle! so I put them in a lot with the stallion. You would have thought the mares hated them. The boys flirted, sniffed, squealed, got ready and tried to mount then BAM! hooves to the chest and spin, spin, spin. Tried mare number 1 a second day just in case she was just coming in. She was flirty on the other side of the fence but when he came near - violent witch. I am thinking about having the expensive repro vet take a look at the entire breeding crew (3 stallions, 6 mares) to determine who is pregnant, who isn't, and if I'm exceedingly lucky why?

Ruth

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mare, my first season breeding/foaling her. 2 successful deliveries thus far for another breeder, but she stood for the stallion 6 days, was in heat a total of 11 and we bred every other day. Then June and July came and went, not a sign of estrus. End of July, beginning of August she produced a bag and started acting flirty. No peeing, winking, but backing up and squealing. WeeFoal said she was not bred, had the vet out because my gut said she took and low and behold she is bred. Just a tease, maybe? We did have a blood draw, is there something metobolic, she also has a bag. So, maybe there is something weird happening with her. But at this time the vet assures me she is right were she shouls be at the 3 month stage of pregnancy. So, I will keep you posted. He says the bag could be that she was overly motherly with this years foal crop . But a blood draw will make me feel better.

Latest posts

Back