In a bit of a panic!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickysminis

Reaction score
Last year in May my, then, 2 yr old colt got through the fence and in with my mares (9 yr old broodmare and her 3yr old daughter). Didn't think much of it as i was sure both mares have since been in season, but today i suddenly noticed my now 4 yr old Mare looked quite large. I felt her tummy (underneath, just in front of udder) whilst she was eating and i'm sure i felt a foal kicking. My concern is that she is only about 31" and is a maiden mare and he is about 34". She is draft type and he a hunter type build.

I know there is nothing i can do but i am seriously worried about the size difference and i'm hopeing i will get reassurance from someone on here that it should all be ok.
default_no.gif

Thank you in advance

Nicky

I wouldn't worry too much about it seeing as he is a leaner type and she is more heavy, however none of that matters if she has a very small pelvis which could cause her to not be able to deliver the foal. You wouldn't know this without a vet exam, however I have heard of people breeding larger stallions to smaller mares but my general rule of thumb is I will only breed within a 2 inch margin - a 34" stallion would be used on mares no smaller than 32" and that's if he is very refined. I like my mares to have more substance to them, and your girl seems to be just that - one with a bit more substance.

All should go well, however if you are deeply concerned I would call your vet to come out and take a peek =)

Nicky --

In my opinion, his height isn't a huge factor, but his build is in favor of things going okay. I think the build and bone structure being more refined is much more important than the height of the stallion
default_smile.png

Think of all the Welsh pony mares x Thoroughbred stallions to make those fancy sport ponies affluent families have for their kids to ride and show
default_biggrin.png

Keep a real close eye on her and do all you can to be there when she foals in case she needs help. That's SOP (standard operating procedure) for any mini mare in foal
default_yes.gif

Best of luck,

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to you both for your replies. I feel slightly less worried.

I am planning to make sure i'm there when she foals, but if she's as sneaky as her mother it could prove tricky!!

I would encourage you to have her examined by your Vet.

Mares tend not to grow foals too large to come out the hole regardless of the size of the stallion. Other species are not so lucky.

Good luck.

Dr Taylor

My newest stallion is by a 33.5" stallion out of a 30" mare, at least those are the heights listed on his papers. And, he looks to be about 34", no official measurement, yet; and of lighter build.

I would encourage you to have her examined by your Vet.

Mares tend not to grow foals too large to come out the hole regardless of the size of the stallion. Other species are not so lucky.

Good luck.

Dr Taylor
Thanks for that info, I know we never worried about our 15.3hand Paso Fino Stallion with our 13.3 - 14.2 hand Mares.

Found people with minis always said they are different than larger horses.

Learned something new again to day.

In my 'non-breeding year' of 2009, we had three stallions escape or get creative with fencing, thanks to cooperative mares.

So, we were 'blessed' with six foals last year. It's nerve-racking having these unplanned events, but you roll with it.

In all the years of foaling we've had three mares we've tried to foal out that had major issues (a few other dystocias that required vet intervention), but of the three, two were mares that shouldn't have been bred (not mine) as neither could deliver the foal normally based on pelvic openings, one literally crushed your hand her pelvis was so small (32" mare/narrow hips). Both ended being put down by the owner as she wouldn't pay for c-sectioning the mares. The third mine, had a c-section and recovered 100%, her 5th foal, but he presented with intestines on the outside of his body (whole 'nother story about that feeling when I went it before I knew!), those were the three worst in eleven years and 150+ foals. Most are textbook normal.

Long story short, these things happen and you don't have a huge size/body type disparity as if it was a refined 30" mare and draft 36" stallion.

Thanks for that info, I know we never worried about our 15.3hand Paso Fino Stallion with our 13.3 - 14.2 hand Mares.

Found people with minis always said they are different than larger horses.

Learned something new again to day.
I'm not sure, but I think the bigger problem with minis is the lack of room to work if you do have a problem. [Not that you can't have size issues, but they are so small, there isn't much room for your hands to manipulate a foal if the need arises.]

Thanks for all your fantastic replies. I will be getting the vet out to have a look i think.

Just been checking through my diary and seen that he also got through again in October, that would make her only 4 months pregnant, would i be able to feel a foal kicking this early and would she be looking quite so round, or is it more likely she took the first time he got in in May?

Sorry for all the questions, i have only had 2 mares foal with me and both of them had had a few foals before so were pretty textbook pregnancies and births (neither would foal when i was there, they prefered to foal on there own)

Many thanks again for all your knowledgeable replies

As Chandab said, it is the limited room for repositioning that seems to be the issue with these small and refined mares.

I don't think you would be feeling movement unless she was bred in May.

Latest posts

Back