Importing miniature horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvonne_89

Reaction score
Have been window shopping on different breeder’s websites and should not have done so as I’m more in love with this breed than ever…

Have been a fan of this breed since I found out about it a few years ago, and would very much be a breeder of this breed one day in Norway (but that dream has to wait a few more years). My plan is not to buy a miniature “today”, but if I find a perfect miniature or two I might consider it.

But before I even do consider importing a horse I need to get a better understanding of it as I have never done so before. Do not want to hurry with this and have all time in world.
default_yes.gif

So my questions are:

Is there one of you guys who have sent horses to Norway/ Scandinavia before?

Does someone know how much it would cost to import an American miniature horse from US or the UK to Norway?

Would it be cheaper to import several at the time or one by one?

Thanks!

I have exported to Belgium and Sweden, but don't know what it costs. The part I do know is you should either buy a few or buy and ship with someone else as they charge by the container. After choosing your horses, they need to go to a quarantine facility here in the US for the amount of time required by your country.

Probably the best way to get current information would be to contact the quarantine farms and they might have an idea of cost, and know how many horses fit into a container. The only one I have dealt with is Shortview and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I sent three mares along with a friends Stallion to Norway a few years ago. I think it was cheaper for her to import four because they were crated together. She went through EZ to Spot Quarantine here in Texas. If you email me I can give you the womans name in Norway she could probably help you. [email protected]

Hi Yvonne,

There are a number of quarantine stations which can handle the export/import for you. Our clients have used most of them but I do prefer one. If you would like to email me privately I will be happy to give you the contact information for that one and also for others. [email protected]

It is a good idea to contact several quarantine stations and ask for quotes and what services are included. The prices can vary quite a lot.

How exciting to be getting a new horse!

Charlotte

HI Yvonne!

I travelled as a groom on a cargo flight to Europe with 20 miniatures/shetlands/ and mini donkeys recently. I would be happy to share my info with you if you want to PM me at [email protected]

Minis are wonderful, wonderful, wonderful
default_smile.png

Peggy

Hi,

It would work out a lot cheaper for you to import from the UK or other European countries than the USA....a lot lot cheaper, there are some really good breeding farms in Europe now that you may want to look at..

If you go to www.mhceurope.eu ( Miniature horse club Europe) you will find a lot of good miniature horse farms probably quite near to you.....

We just shipped a miniature horse to Sweden. Each country has their own rules and regulations.

It is helpful to find both a breeder and a quarantine station that has good communication and can walk you through the process.

There is certainly an advantage if you can afford to bring two or more horses across. Especially as the horses have a buddy on arrival in their new location.

But the quarantines bring across a group of horses when they ship.

Good luck on finding your dream horse!

Thanks everyone!

Sorry for not getting back to you guys before now, it’s middle of my exams.

I do have a lot of information now, thank you guys. I’ll check the likes you all have posted.

Make a wish miniatures: That would be very kind of you. I’ll send you an e-mail shortly.

Raine: Thank you for the link. They had some beautiful miniatures on that page!

Joanne Ross of Scott Creek Miniatures( [email protected] ) ships horses to Europe quite regularly. She is putting one together right now for the UK. She is a nice person to deal with, and will definately have answers to all your questions.

Latest posts

Back