Importing GSD from Germany

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just honestly cannot imagine what a broke college kid needs with a trained, imported GSD...or an Akita. Some things to consider are: How many dogs has he raised prior? What breed(s) were they? What happened to them? What other experience has he had with dogs? How much time does he have to spend with the new dog every day? Doing what? Is that likely to change with college, or work? Who will pay veterinary expenses? What will happen to the dog if he has to move?
Please don't take this wrong because I'm not sure how to respond to your post but...

Perhaps you missed on my first post when I mentioned that he's 19...he's an adult. He didn't call me to ask permission - he called to share with me that he's planning on getting a dog. I'm very happy for him. Be it a pound puppy or a show dog I know that he will provide it with an awesome life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions to ask

does he have Written permission from the landlord for a GSD? They are usually listed as a "dangerous breed" and often banned in many rental agreements. Also many insurance companies will not insure you if you have such "breeds" If it is protection trained you add in even more liablity.

Has he actually worked with European trained dogs? ( generally that means some form of protection, schutz. or ring sport training)

What type of training is he looking for?

Well bred, well trained imports will cost Thousands ( I know of several GSD and Dobes that cost five figures)

You can pay thousands and still get crap, not all folks who breed and train in Europe are legit, once the money has left your hands you are pretty much stuck.

My suggestion would be for him to wait till he is out of school and settled in his own home. In the mean time he can do research into Euro breeders, check with legitimate importers that can give reference. He might want to check with US breeders who specialize in the Euro pedigrees. And beleive me just because it comes from Europe it does not mean it is healther than US bred dogs.

Over the years I have known several imported working dogs, GSD, Dobes, Mals. personally all have had way too much drive for me. ( and I have owned and shown Dobes for over 25yrs)

You have gotten alot of great advice here, hopefully you will take it seriously.

I did read your post and the rest of the posts on this thread. Twice. I understand we are talking about a young man, not a child, and his desire to own a dog very unlike any pet dog he's had experience with. Gifting such a dog to someone is like giving them a potentially deadly weapon. While he isn't asking your permission, YOU are financing his decision and it's a decision that is going to require a lifetime commitment and careful handling to share an "awesome life" with him.

Thanks uwharrie
default_smile.png

You're right a lot of good advice from a lot of helpful people. I'm really enjoying researching the breed myself. Nice thing about the internet is everything's just a click away and folks have PM'd and e-mailed me some great links
default_biggrin.png

It takes some looking, but I believe that he'd be able to find a dog that suits him here in America. I have the same view of GSDs with the low (IMO "weak") hips. 25 years ago it was much easier to find Shepherds with a level topline & a good strong looking hip. I have never liked those that have the conformation that makes them look like they are constantly crouching down behind--just not what I want at all.

Last year I had inquired on some pups. When I called, everything the breeder told me about her dogs sounded perfect--exactly what I wanted. Then she sent me some photos--ugh. They had terrible rear ends, and weren't especially good looking otherwise. No thank you--I just could not live with a dog that looked like those did!

This past summer I was browsing a local saleboard & came across an ad with photos of two pups. I took one look at the darker of the two puppies and said that's the dog I want. I had photos of the father--as a young dog he had a slacker hip than I would like, but at maturity he'd improved a lot and now has quite a strong looking hip. My Arielle is the same way. I got her at 3 months. She is now a little over 8 months, and her hip has strengthened a lot. By the time she is mature, it's going to be pretty good. She's got a lot of the qualities we need in a dog. Is she perfect? No, but she's good and is working out to be what we need. Is she the best at everything? No, but she's versatile--she is very much like her father, and he is a family pet, guard dog on his owner's farm, and he also works cattle.

In the link posted early on this thread the guy says if anyone doesn't want a high drive German dog they should get a poodle....I don't think so! I don't need a high drive, more aggressive dog and I don't need a poodle, thank you very much. We expect a lot of any dog we keep, and Arielle is filling the job nicely. Perhaps Arielle is a Canadian Shepherd??? Whatever, we're happy to have her.

Thanks for sharing that Minimor
default_biggrin.png

When I first posted I mentioned an import but after getting some great advice and lots of links to check out I'm sure we can find the perfect puppy right here. He's looking forward to taking it to all the classes he can and he's looking into finding a local GSD club in his area.

default_smile.png
...worst thing is
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm starting to really want to smell puppy breath around here too hahahaha

Danna, does Andrew play any sports or have a real passion for a particular sport?? Schutzhund is a sport and a real exciting one too for both the dog and owner/trainer but it does take a commitment. You know your son and if you think he would give 100% to his dog and training I think it would be a great experience.The test of temperment and character in the Schutzhund exam can provide a great tool for the improvement in working dogs...dobies, gsds or mals. Its real exciting to watch the exams and watch the progress of the dog. People have to understand that the Schutzhund field is as different from the world in which service dogs work as your backyard is as different as Mars. The Schutz. field is a stock or controlled situation, with familiar routines and stimuli to excite bolster and build confidence in the dog. The agitator is always dressed just so and he is also taught to behave in a certain manner. The number of variables is strickly limited and a good trainer can condition even a so so dog to cope in these given situations. If Andrew decides to take up this sport he would have someone teaching him to "train" at the same time train his American
default_wub.png
GSD!! Anyway compare this to the world of a service dog, in which nothing is sure or set, the circumstances can change in a heartbeat, where the suspect doesnt act "creepy",the dog must be ready to seek or track or fight at any time, day or pitch black night, instinctively do things that might not have ever been in his training manual and plain old courage and the desire to fight must serve instead.

If I was younger I would actually love to do this type of sport again. It is alot of fun to watch how these dogs actually think w/their ears and really set themselves up to do certain tasks.

I think Andrew should find a nice dog...go to a local dog club...go to puppy class...basic obedience...just kind take it slow if he finds something the dog loves..be it frisbee, agility and the more places and situations he puts his new puppy in the better.

Regardless of why people participate in any dog trainingsport/activity, they end up with a dog that they appreciate more, a more stable and content dog and basically a dog that is just so much more fun to be around.

I dont think people realize that not all German dogs are Schutzhund trained.....for some reason the word Schutzhund just sounds like some mean crazy fighting dog and that is not the case. Any breed in the wrong hands, trained or not can be a crazy fighting dog.

Danna, look what you have done....now I want another puppy. I must stop...this is supposed to be a miniature horse forum!!

Oh LittleRibbie don't feel bad - I've been searching sites and I think it's those GSD puppy ears that do it
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
HAHAHA talk about radar
default_biggrin.png

Thanks again for another fact filled, positive, enchouraging post
default_biggrin.png

Andrew's very athletic. I bet he'd love to get involved in a sport his dog and he can do together. Also college is only an hour from the beaches and there are miles and miles of jogging trails there too and of course endless hiking in the Cascade Mountains.

I did a search and there is a GSD club in his area.

I can't wait for him to come home next week so I can share all of this - although he's probably already found most of it himself lol.

Probably the next step is for him to go to the club and visit with owners so he can get all of his questions answered. As I've learned in this thread, there's nothing more valuable than going straight to the source
default_smile.png

Many, many thanks for all of the positive, helpful advice from all
default_worshippy.gif
default_cheekkiss.gif
I just know that sometime next year I'll be sharing a picture of Drew and pup.

heheh you know how loved that beast will be in a house where three dog loving guys live...oh my gosh after graduation they're all going to be fighting over custody hahahahha
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back