Importing GSD from Germany

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here can help but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm wanting to import a German GSD for my son's b'day next year (giving myself some time) I know there are folks here who breed and show GSD's and I'm wondering if any of you have any connections or know of any reputable breeders/trainers who I could contact to start my search. I've never done anything like this before so I literally have no clue where to start.

Any help is appreciated...you can PM me if you like

Thanks
default_biggrin.png

There are so many great GSD breeders right here in the US I don't know why you feel you need to go out of the country to find one. You have a variety of bloodlines right here by the thousands. Shop USA!

I used to show GSD's and did breed a little. My dogs are mostly American line but of course they all go back to German lines. Is there a particular reason you want to import? If it is the strickly German line you are looking for and fond of, there are some really wonderful breeders/importers already here.

Vom Katzenblut Shepherds, Shirley Lucas, here in Fla. is one that I can think of off the top of my head. PM me and I can give you a tel #. Keep in mind many of the German Bred dogs are extremely "on 24/7" You must give them something to work towards and keep them occupied and learning new things.....they have very much the Malanois personality.

Jimmy Moses handled my dogs yrs. ago and I know he is still handling for others, he has lots of GSD contacts....mostly American dogs but he always comes across dogs that he cant take in...let me know if you would like his tel. #.

If you decide to go American I know a local person here that also shows succesfully, is not a big time breeder, but breeds quality dogs. Her dogs clean up in the ring, obedience and are all just really nice good dogs. Lots of her dogs are "Dallas" bred. I know she ships her dogs and is an honest seller and will always take her dogs back for any reason. When I get home I will get you #'s if you would like.

Heidi

P.S. You son is going to be so happy!! I just love the GSD puppies
default_wub.png

http://leerburg.com/germblod.htm

The German dogs have a better build than the bicycle ones we are showing here. He's also wanting a top quality working dog and NOT a show dog, there's a big difference. He also wants it trained in Germany before being imported.

He's done his research - I haven't lol. I'm just the one with the check book hehehe
default_rolleyes.gif

That article is by a German Breeder...go figure...didnt need to read the whole thing.

Your son needs to do some more home work IMO........but if you have the check book....

Just so you know.....in GERMANY the dogs must Show AND Work in order to get accredited status so to say there is a difference is not entirely correct...but Im sure your son knows that.

Any particular color,age, lines, titled thru DVG or USA ( does he know the diff ) Titled in America or Europe? His family's composition?Does he want a German SCH title or can it be from another country ( hungrarian IPO or ZVV from Chez Republic or SVV from Solvokia?) Does he want it KORE rated, if so what is he willing to accept? Would he be willing to purchase a dog if it is still in Europe. There are people who dont even know that dogs work off of different motivational drives...according to country ...what sort of working drive dog is he wanting? Has your son handled both Schutzhund and Real patrol Working dogs and can he assist in them progressing forward.

Although I like the Am. GSD better for what I want in a dog, I have not shut the door on the Europe dogs ...but I have educated myself on both in order to understand their differences and make an educated decision. IMO your son needs to spend lots of time at his local DVG club.

P.S> Ask him the name of the gentleman that won Hungarian and Chez titles in Euprope last yr. HE will tell you Both dogs born in Europe .....TRAINED AND 1st Titled here in Minn. Both handlers were from the US.....ummm.....homework

Heidi

Gimp....dont be scared....come on.....I know you know these herding dogs as well as any one.....heck, your the one I'm going to come see when I decide to get myself a smaller dog.

Thanks for the overwhelming information LittleRibbie I appreciate you going to all that trouble...you sure know a lot HAHAHA...It's falling a little on the wrong ears (mine lol) I wouldn't know a GSD from a lampost (well okay...that's a little off
default_rolleyes.gif
) and he doesn't read this MB.

He's not showing it...and not breeding it. He just wants to make sure that a 12 year commitment is the right one to make.

I don't think he needs to do research...I think I do lol. I was trying to look into this as a "surprise" but there's obviously a lot more to it than I ever gave thought to. I was thinking...pick out a puppy, pay, ship hahahah...sounds easy to me lol
default_wink.png
How come it has to be brain surgery
default_biggrin.png

I hate to mention that the other breed he's looking at is an Akita (but as we're related to half of Japan..that's not going to be a problem hehehehe)

Many thanks guys.

Just want to say thanks for the PM's and e-mails.

I just needed the contact info for a reputable breeder and I think I now have that.

Infact I have a good friend in Germany who breeds horses and he's just reponded that he can easily hook me up.

Many thanks everyone.

default_biggrin.png

If you decide to go American I know a local person here that also shows succesfully, is not a big time breeder, but breeds quality dogs. Her dogs clean up in the ring, obedience and are all just really nice good dogs. Lots of her dogs are "Dallas" bred. I know she ships her dogs and is an honest seller and will always take her dogs back for any reason. When I get home I will get you #'s if you would like.Heidi

P.S. You son is going to be so happy!! I just love the GSD puppies
default_wub.png
I'll pass this on to him. Thank you. Only thing that he doesn't like at all is what breeders are turing the dog into these days...any lower on that hind end and they won't need to be trained to sit
default_sad.png
I think he's remembering the Alsation as it used to be.

Gimp....dont be scared....come on.....I know you know these herding dogs as well as any one.....heck, your the one I'm going to come see when I decide to get myself a smaller dog.
You'd be coming to the wrong person, but thanks! I am researching for myself; but then it has been a constant thing for over fifty years.
default_unsure.png
I am just learning to close my mouth and back carefully out of the room rather than get worked up
default_wink.png

(I do, however, have a passion for stubby herding dogs
default_wub.png
and will likely be researching them for the rest of my life...pity poor anoki)

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd be coming to the wrong person, but thanks! I am researching for myself; but then it has been a constant thing for over fifty years.
default_unsure.png
I am just learning to close my mouth and back carefully out of the room rather than get worked up
default_wink.png
(I do, however, have a passion for stubby herding dogs
default_wub.png
and will likely be researching them for the rest of my life...pity poor anoki)

LOL well, gimp, you know how *I* feel about it all!!
default_biggrin.png

~kathryn

miniwhinny, as a former breeder and shower of German Shepherd Dogs, which I love more than anything, if your son doesn't get "trained" in the same methods that his dog is trained with, the training is useless! I also used to teach the obedience classes for my trainer when she was away at shows as well as take care of her large German Shepherd kennel. You are getting some great info here! One of my German Shepherds was a "German bred dog". Her parents were from Germany. They were both Schutzhund titled dogs. I prefer AKC obedience. She and I had a blast together! What does your son want in a "trained" German Shepherd dog? All my other Shepherds were American dogs that I trained in the breed ring and in obedience. My last american German Shepherd, I put to sleep a year ago at 15 years, 3 months old. Honestly, your son would do well if he found a trainer near him that he could work with, with his puppy! PM me if you want. I'd love to talk to you!!! Training your GSD puppy is a blast!!!!

Honestly, your son would do well if he found a trainer near him that he could work with, with his puppy! PM me if you want. I'd love to talk to you!!! Training your GSD puppy is a blast!!!!

Very good advice...see asking you guys was the right thing to do
default_biggrin.png
I bet if he did the training there would be a way stronger bond too.

I'd love to pick your brain...I won't bug you right away because he's coming home from college for christmas so I'll be able to have a long chat with him then.

This will be his very first, very own dog. He's had dogs all his life here at home but misses them like crazy now he's away at college.

finally, Im back here where I can post a huge apology to miniwhinny!! I typed w/o thinking and I am so sorry for sounding like such a pompus ask!! I was acting just like the many people that I was sick and tired of hearing from on other forums and show rings....PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR BEING SO RUDE!! I got up on the wrong side of the bed...had my panties.... twisted....not!! I have no excuse, sorry.

I am very passionate about Am bred GSDs and have worked as a sticker and bitee ( person who aggrivates, sticks GSD's and Malanois for training ) I have worked with European and Am. trained dogs and I can tell you there are just as many horribly trained GSDs in BOTH places. I do get upset when people think that they have to Import to get a good dog. Especially a highly trained dog...you should take 3 to 5 mo. working w/the dog and that dogs handler in order to have a good working relationship IMO. I cant imagine any legit trainer/handler selling someone a dog as highly trained as some of these dogs are to just anyone. There is so much to know.

I, like Luvs2ride.... also prefer the AKC obedience.....I think he would really enjoy that. And he could train to what ever level he wants and can still train to Schutzhund level.

Yes, there are some Am. dogs with "sloppy" top lines...some very extreme angles but look at the Germ, dogs ...some of them are just as bad. If you were to watch them going away from you you can really see how sloppy their rear looks.

But if your son looks at puppies, many of them appear to have too much angulation but it will often " come up " with age. Usually an honest breeder will tell you what has happened as far as growth spurts with that particular line.

Anyway...I could go on for ever about GSD's CAUSE I LOVE THEM....but I really just want to apologize for my rudeness. Please email me ....I have some great books that your son might find good reading for both Am and European line dogs. Im tired of dusting them

heidi

Oh my goodness, Littleribbie, I never once thought you were coming across as pompus or rude. Not for one second ((((HUGS)))). No, I took everything you said (as overwhelming as it was lol
default_wink.png
) and gave it a lot of thought.

I really appreciate everything. I need to talk to him about who's telling him he needs to import and what their reasons are because after reading what you guys have said I don't see why he couldn't find the dog of his dreams right here.

My sons not a spoiled brat. He doesn't get everything he wants. I nearly lost him a year ago and it really makes you remember that we're all just hanging here by a thread and I really, really think that him getting a dog is a good idea. He's got a nice little house with 2 other roomates (animal lovers) and they have permission to fence the yard. He's already been telling me how he's looking forward to taking his dog everywhere. I think it's hard for kids when they grow up with lots of furry family members and then go off to college and have to leave them all behind. Last time he came home "his" cattle dog went nuts. She slept outside his bedroom window all night...I couldn't get her to come in....maybe she could smell him? Anyhow with the 3 boys (all 19 year olds) and their class schedules the dog won't have any time when it has to be alone. Even if he's in class...someone will always be there.

Thanks.

German Shepherd is a wondeful breed.Be sure you buy from a reputable breeder with a guarantee for OFA hips and elbows.Avoid problems from the get go.Find out what other genetic testing has been done on the parents.I raised them for 42 years and when Sam died in 1992 he was from the original pair I started with in 1960.From your posts I would ask more questions of your son.At age 19 and still in college a puppy or dog is like having a child.A big responsibility and with college life it may not be the right timing.I know we all mean well but sometimes what we really want for our children is not what they want at the time.Rather than doing something without his knowledge I would ask him if he is ready to do this parenting thing and then if he changes his mind or his life changes later are you willing to take the dog.When I sold puppies if Mom was not really interested in the puppy I would not sell because 9 out of 10 times MJom ended up being the caretaker once the novelty with the kids had worn off.My first shepherd was one I bought as a gift for my future husband.I gave it to him and she lived with him (26 yrs old)and his 2 roomates.It was fine for a while and then they didn't want to take care of her anymore because she interfered with the single lifestyle.We ended up giving her to a friend and she got out and killed by a car.I was devistated and he promised when I graduated from college I would get my own puppy.I did and that was Sam's ancestor.Just be sure the choice is right for your son and for the puppy.Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks Bevann, wow that's incredible that you raised the same line for 42 years !!! Says a lot about the breed
default_biggrin.png

oh don't worry...I'd talk him out of it iin a heartbeat if I thought it would become a one day wonder.

I've had a wonderful offer from LittleRibie to draw on her years of knowledge also so I'll make sure I check into all of the genetics and everything. I won't be wrapping it up under the christmas tree either...I'd just be funding it (you know these broke college kids lol) and only when he is 100% ready.

Thank you
default_smile.png

I would find your local GSD breed club and go hang out at their meetings with your son, if at all possible. I know the one around here allows people who are interested to come without joining. I would also do the same with your local Schutzhund group.

I just honestly cannot imagine what a broke college kid needs with a trained, imported GSD...or an Akita. Some things to consider are: How many dogs has he raised prior? What breed(s) were they? What happened to them? What other experience has he had with dogs? How much time does he have to spend with the new dog every day? Doing what? Is that likely to change with college, or work? Who will pay veterinary expenses? What will happen to the dog if he has to move?

I was recently chatting with an Agility instructor who owns and works with a lot of GSDs (before reading this thread). She actually made mention of people who import dogs, and how in over their heads they usually end up. Those (and Akitas) are some serious DOGS, with the potential to do some serious damage to themselves, people, other dogs and property. They really need someone who knows what they are doing and they need a job to do. It's a real commitment, and one that is likely to last longer than 12 years...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back