I'm so confused!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedMeadows

Reaction score
Last year one of my mares had a false pregnancy and now my confidence is shaken. This is a maiden mare, about 34" tall. She was bred last March 22 and then never went into heat again. I haven't really noticed movement except today but don't trust myself. There are no ultrasounds around here and I haven't ordered any weefoal tests but might have to. I am just starting to stress. That's all. lol. Oh ya, no bag yet.

merry0208.jpg

merryrump0208.jpg

this is just my own personal opinion of course but she does look pregnant to me.

Oh yes, for a maiden mare she is really showing. The problem is, she is due now if you bred her last March 22nd.

Maiden mares do not always get much of a bag. Check her for her rear getting soft. Do you have a warm place to put her? I see snow on the ground, so you are in a cold area. The foal will not survive outside in the cold. I would certanily have her inside where it is warmer and dry. By the 24th she will have gone 340 days.

Again, many maidens do not get much of a bag and you could loose that foal if mom foals outside.

Good luck and let us all know what she has.

AHHHHHHH!!!! :arg! That is why I am kinda freaking out. It is quite cold here and we don't have a barn. I have to set something up in the garage. The breeding was accidental. I don't usually put my stud out until June. Oops. Oh my, I could cry.
default_no.gif

Aww, don't cry! Just get in the garage and get busy!
default_yes.gif
She surely looks ready to BLOW to me!! You'll make it work.

Jodi

AHHHHHHH!!!! :arg! That is why I am kinda freaking out. It is quite cold here and we don't have a barn. I have to set something up in the garage. The breeding was accidental. I don't usually put my stud out until June. Oops. Oh my, I could cry.
default_no.gif

Set up something in the garage where mom and the foal will be protected. Build a stall if you need to, you can use plywood and 2 x3's in a pinch. Fill the bottom with straw, as straw will help insulate. You will need some heat lamps, but they must be away from the straw and not be able to be knocked into the straw. Also, I would have a baby blanket ready to help keep the foal warm.

What about the run in shelter? I can completely block it in and we have power run to it and also my foaling camera is in there. I was thinking heat lamps that could be mounted at the front directed back where neither can touch them and then of course lots of hay on the ground. Then she could have turn out with her girlfriends during the day. She is right off my back door so I can see her at all times. Do you think that would work? I definitely need a blanket and want to make one but can't find a pattern.
default_no.gif

What about the run in shelter? I can completely block it in and we have power run to it and also my foaling camera is in there. I was thinking heat lamps that could be mounted at the front directed back where neither can touch them and then of course lots of hay on the ground. Then she could have turn out with her girlfriends during the day. She is right off my back door so I can see her at all times. Do you think that would work? I definitely need a blanket and want to make one but can't find a pattern.
default_no.gif

The run in shelter will not keep the foal warm, not unless you close it all off, but the garage would be better. Mom and foal will not be able to go outside during the day unless it is warm enough.. Usually the foals are born with a long thick coat in cold weather, but somethimes they are inot. They can not regulate their temperatures for a while, not enought to keep themselves warm if it is freezing out.

Everyone else seems to be helping with the advice so I just wanted to say that I think she is adorable. I love the white on her nose.

I'd say that mare looks about ready to foal. I think you could use your run in shed if you can block the front as you said you can. The biggest thing is to make sure the foal is up off the ground with plenty of warm bedding and no drafts.

You say the mare has no bag? Have you felt her udder? Some mares, especially maidens, do indeed have bags but they can be small. I would feel for firmness and nipple placement. When she is ready to foal, the udder will become firm and the nipples will fill and spread apart. If you try to get milk out of her, it should feel thick and sticky when she is ready to foal.

In the past, I have used a childs sweatshirt in a pinch for a foal blanket.
default_smile.png

Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't panic--get excited.
default_biggrin.png
I just read in MHW that it's better for foals to be born in cold weather than warm... Once the wee one is 3-4 days old you'll be all set.

Good luck--you're a good mama.
default_yes.gif

She is cute..good luck on the foaling. Everyone is being very helpful, but I thought I'd ad if you have a pet stores around, you could always buy a large dog coat.

I vote she is in foal and you will have one in the next week or so!! I love her markings, pretty girl.

If you can't find a mini foal blanket quickly, how about a dog blanket? I have a fleecy one that fits my boxer (but she hates it), and I am pretty sure it will be a good size for a foal if needed. EDITED: see what happens when you walk away in the middle of posting, come back and find yourself repeating what someone else has already written!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have a foal/dog blanket or access to one, do you have any small kid's sweatshirts? We used a 3/4 sleeved heavy t-shirt on our orphan filly in 2006 (she was born first of April and we also had her in a barn with lamp, so didn't need a super heavy blanket/coat) If you had any to use, you can always cut it and duct tape it to fit/situate on the baby if you can't find a blanket..

Here's our little girl in her T
default_biggrin.png

CIMG1706.jpg

"

I'd say that mare looks about ready to foal. I think you could use your run in shed if you can block the front as you said you can. The biggest thing is to make sure the foal is up off the ground with plenty of warm bedding and no drafts.

You say the mare has no bag? Have you felt her udder? Some mares, especially maidens, do indeed have bags but they can be small. I would feel for firmness and nipple placement. When she is ready to foal, the udder will become firm and the nipples will fill and spread apart. If you try to get milk out of her, it should feel thick and sticky when she is ready to foal.

In the past, I have used a childs sweatshirt in a pinch for a foal blanket.
default_smile.png

Good luck and keep us posted."

Just one thing on the run in shelter. The run in shelter is probably not touching the ground on 3 sides, let alone the open front. The cold air will definatley get to the foal unless everything can be blocked off. I know someone in Wisconsin who had a foal last year and the mare could go in and out of the barn as she pleased. The foal was born in the barn and the temperatures went down to freezing that night. Unfortunatly the foal died of the cold that night too. He had been born alive, nursed, even dried off, but was dead in the am when she went out to the barn.

I do not mean to scare you, but I would certainly play it safe. It can really get cold here, we have been running over 23 days with below zero temps, with it gettig down to -14 degrees with windchill factors of -40 below. That is COLD!! I do not know where you live, but based upon the snow in the pictures, I would guess it gets pretty coold there too!! A foal born to those kind of temperatures after being in an environment of 100+ degrees, it can be hard on them!! If you are going to use the shelter, make sure it is totally inclosed so that the mare can not get out, nor can another horse get in. Use heat lamps and thick staw bedding on the ground for warmth. If you can pile straw bails on the outside of the shelter too for extra insulation that also will help.

A dog blaket or a childs sweatshirt will help too. The foal will do alright in the cold after a few days, but it will still need the shelter area.

quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again everyone. I am still freaking out but am a little bit better.
default_smile.png
The run-in shelter is probably warmer than our old drafty garage. Hubby has some heaters that he will install as well as a heat lamp and it will be completely blocked in and draft free. I am going tomorrow to see about a dog blanket. At the very least I can get an idea of a pattern to make one. You just watch. I will do all of this and she won't be pregnant!
default_wacko.png

Hi Rhonda,

You know I think she looks in foal and she is also adorable :)

Good luck! I can't wait to see your foal :)

Susan O.

I don't think your efforts will be in vain. Your going to have a foal. Very little doubt. Mother nature makes these guys hearty and puts those coats on them for a reason. They need help for the first couple of days but you'll do fine.

Keep us posted.

I agree she definately looks pregnant! Please keep us updated.

If she isn't bred I am putting myself out there and saying I definately think she needs a diet!!!
default_luck.gif

Wait until you know for sure though as you don't want to deprive her of anything she needs if she is going to foal.

Good luck with everything - I think you mare is pregnant!!!! One more word of advice - you will need to clip her belly and the inside of her hind legs - to prevent the foal from "sucking hair" and swallowing it. That can have disastrous results - so I would do that as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back