I'm looking at my first two mini's tonight!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaAH

Reaction score
I am soooo excited. I am looking a couple of older girls tonight and they sure are purty
default_smile.png
So if they look like good first mini candidates for me and we "click" then I will be buying the little sweeties. Then I will be able to show you the lil cuties. They are 18 & 21 ang registered. So I will know later tonight.

So If we do decide on them I will be picking them up after our move. WE have a full size horse trailer. How do we transport mini's? Obvioulsy I keep the divider open, right? And to I tie them or not. Just in case?

I tie mine in a big horse trailer. If you're hauling them together, I would tie them either farther apart or each facing a different wall. If not, they like to ride sideways and one always gets stuck with someone's butt under their leadrope.
default_rolleyes.gif

I recently had my kids moved to my new location in a 4 horse full size trailer - talk about traveling in style - this was basically a stretch limo for them! The hauler used ropes to tie back all of the dividers and we let them have full use of the trailer (did not tie them) which is my preference. They had a happy and safe ride to their new location! I was so worried about the transportation and it went just fine!!!

Liz R.

I tie mine, but plenty don't. However, it really depends on the horse trailer. Is it FULLY enclosed, or is there a big enough gap at the top of the door or on the sides that a mini could jump out of? And yes, it has happened to some people!
default_new_shocked.gif
Don't assume the gap is up too high, you'd be surprised what they are capable of. If there is a big gap, you need to tie the horses to ensure their safety.

I haul mine in a little 2 horse trailer. I removed the divider. If there are 1 or 2 in there, I let them ride without being tied. I can haul 4 easily. Are these 2 used to being together? That would make a difference too.

Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a four-horse stock trailer, with a center divider. We usually only transport one or two mini's at a time so we close the divider and give them the front compartment as a box stall. Usually we put some hay down for them to munch on, and it helps provide cushioning for them. We can't really tie them -- the ties are located waaay up for full-size horses. When I check on the mini's usually one is standing each way (one forwards, and one backwards) and they seem quite comfortable, but a trifle disconcerted because Diesel can't see what's happening outside -- it REALLY annoys him not to be in on the action outside!

When we trailer full-sized horses, they each get a box stall, and we tie them on the left side, because they seem to prefer to stand on an angle. So although it's a four horse trailer, it only gets used for two maximum!

Sounds like it will work just fine. Can't wait the hear the results!!
default_laugh.png

Liz R.

We have a 2 horse slant trailer. We take the divider out and take halters off when we get them in the trailer. We take halters off for their safety.

We have a two horse trailer, in desperate need of a larger horse as next year im planning to haul 6 - 7 each show. If im picking up one horse, or a foal or a horse that isnt use to tieing then i just take out the divider and turn them loose. If i have a spazzy horse about trailering, i will teach them to tie in the trailer by tieing my more "trailer sound and safe" horses by them in the other divider when we go for trailer rides somewhere. I always worry about having them in their tied bc i worry they will rear and get their foot in the lead or something of that sort but they really are more safe tied in. But if im picking up a mini or foal i just turn them loose inside. Although i should tie them to get them use to it...i really need a new trailer. Spend all last winter trailer shopping but nothing worked out, have my eye on one right now and this winter we deffently need a bigger trailer.

My trailer is fully enclosed TB height 2 horse trailer. I always tie my horses and give them a full hay bag to keep them occupied.

Whenever possible I do not tie horses when hauling but it is only a personal preference.

I know horses that travel both tied and untied without incident. We have had horses delivered to us that had been tied too short and had sore eyes and raw cheeks by the time they got to us. So just watch for how tight the halter fits and how much head movement room a tied horse has.

Enjoy you 2 new mares. Congrats to you. I know you will enjoy them very much.

If your horse trailer is enclosed, you should be fine leaving them untied.

Latest posts

Back