Im confused .. Do you delouse every year ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
I would like to know how many of you delouse your mini's just as a precaution

OR

do you only delouse them when they get lice ?

I have never even heard of a horse getting lice. I wonder if it is something that is just in certain areas? Like fleas.... our dogs never get them, they are not on our property...but I took my little guy to worlds... and we came home with a few fleas...

I am in the northeast.... maybe we just don't get lice here????

I bought a 9 month old QH filly that had lice. I used sheep dip on her. She never had it again. I have not had that problem with my minis yet even though they are very close to the chickens.

Julie, I have never heard of horses getting fleas. They DO get lice.

I try to use the Permectrin CDS Pour On 3 or 4 times a year just a preventative.

I only used it if they had lice but now that you mention it I sure wish I had used it as a precaution now. I caught three of my horses itching their tails and destroyed them in one day before I could go get some lice duster. I will be using it as a precaution in the future.

Julie, horses don't get fleas. They might jump on a horse and jump right back off.

LOL...My HORSE didn't come home from Worlds with Fleas.... My DOG Tucker did.

I just meant that we have never had trouble with our dogs having fleas at home.... but when I went to TX he came home with a few.

I didn't know if the lice thing is territorial as well?

I just never heard of it before...interesting!

Sometimes my horses itch their tails a little but I just rub some MTG in it and it goes away. Maybe that stinky stuff kills lice as well as all the other things it is good for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Julie, I've had lice here before, I bought a Mini or two that came with them. Lice are much, much more common in Minis, I think it's due to their thick winter coats, they are soo dense, the perfect hiding ground for lice.

I only treat if needed, but I prefer to treat with ivermectin dewormer, rather than the topical chemicals. I felt it was safer for pregnant mares and youngstock.

We do not delouse regularly; in fact we've never done it at all, since we've never had a problem with lice on our horses.

I generally delouse everytime I bring a different horse on the property just as a precaution because once you get them then it is a pain to get rid of them. You have to spray or powder at least twice to kill the older ones and the eggs once they hatch. My lice spray is actually a flyspray as well so I dont have to do the whole herd when I get back from shows because i just use the lice spray to keep the flys, ticks, and everything away at shows :-D.

Latest posts

Back