If you were shopping for a driving horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
My friend showed someone else's stallion at the show this weekend. She's hooked! She would like to invest in a horse that could win in the driving classes. If things fall into place for her money will be no concern. SO....

If you had the money, where would you go to buy the perfect driving horse?

IF money were NO object, I think I'd try and steal Erica's beloved Jesse from her... Just seeing his under harness shots, he will be one to watch
default_yes.gif
:

Go to the shows near by, and watch how they handle and show their horses and how they react with their owners. In and out of the ring.

If you like what you see, approach them and talk about seeing their horses back at their home.

Mini people who breed and sell don't mind you following them home and taking a look.

Also after the show go ask the judge why he choose the ones he did in driving etc.?

Good Luck they are like potato chips cannot just have one.... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check out Buckeye WCF/Getitia and Les Matheny. They have some awesome horses and will work with you to help you find what you need and want. The most important thing is not so much the breeder but the connection you have with your horse. If you have the connection, they will do anything for you. Case in point -- Jag and I. He will drive in shows (Top Ten last Year in Ladies, Country Pleasure), be pet therapy, and travel on the trails with ease and happily. He will also tear up the mats in his stall if he is angry with me because I haven't given him what he considers enough attention. Whatever, get one you fall in love with, the rest will come. Happy shopping.

Well, I would go to Wickersham Miniatures and buy their driving horse that placed top four at the AMHA World Show last year. He has only been driving for 2 years and is just now turning 5 years old. He can go all the way to the top!! He took first at the Central Show last year too.
default_smile.png

Cindy Wickersham

Well, I would go to Wickersham Miniatures and buy their driving horse that placed top four at the AMHA World Show last year. He has only been driving for 2 years and is just now turning 5 years old. He can go all the way to the top!! He took first at the Central Show last year too.
default_smile.png

Cindy Wickersham
I too love Wickersham Miniatures driving horse, he is one fine horse.

Mike McCabe, he has awesome driving horses. Prices are very reasonable considering their training and show records.

Another option is to go to shows and talk to the folks winning in driving. They may have horse for sale, know of horses for sale, or be willing to help you shop for and train a nice prospect. (remember, if the money is there it can just as easily be spent on a lesser trained horse and a trainer)

I live in Oregon, so if I were in your friend's shoes, I'd truck myself over to Newburg, Oregon and visit with Portia Sue -- one of the top mini performance trainers in the country, in my opinion.

Portia Sue knows what she's doing, has a gentle hand, and manages to be painfully honest. She's a rare breed unto herself.

MA

PS: Forgot to mention that she's also now a judge for AMHR shows.

Is she interested in showing AMHA or AMHR? What division does she want to "win" in? Country? Pleasure? Park? Roadster?

If she is showing AMHR, she should start looking into the ASPC/AMHR horses as they are bringing a lot of motion into the ring.

She should contact some of the top driving trainers... offhand I can think of Larry Parnell, E Training Center, Portia Sue, Mike McCabe, or Patty Cloke and see if they can recommend a horse.

Not only does the horse have to move good, but it has to have the temperament and motivation and proper training to win.

Andrea

I keep my horses at this barn!! there horses are both SAFE and very nice we have over 55 horses at the barn now!!

kateland farm

I live in Oregon, so if I were in your friend's shoes, I'd truck myself over to Newburg, Oregon and visit with Portia Sue -- one of the top mini performance trainers in the country, in my opinion.

Portia Sue knows what she's doing, has a gentle hand, and manages to be painfully honest. She's a rare breed unto herself.

MA

PS: Forgot to mention that she's also now a judge for AMHR shows.

I'll second this recommendation for sure! Mingus and I are working with her, and she is amazing, insightful, and someone I totally trust to act in the best interest of my horse..

If you could get her input on selecting a horse and/or if you can place a horse with her to train, you won't go wrong!

As far as breeders, I'd also recommend Stacy Score of Mountain Meadows...she has bred some amazing driving horses.

I'd suggest that your friend take her time and find the horse that is right for her -- in terms of her goals, temperament,what catches her eye and what sort of horse is doing well in shows.

Don't forget the Taylor Pony Farm, AMHR/ASPC miniatures that really can move out! They have some very nice horses. Bruce Abbott at Dawns Chase Farm. He has some wonderfully trained driving horses. I've driven a very green horse of his and WOW! He is so responsive and level headed, and BOY can he move!! If I was shopping I would go here for a horse that is ready now.

BOB sons and daughters have a lot of natural talent in the driving arena as well. I have a 2 year old BOB colt that I just can't wait to drive!! He is a moving machine and can go all day long. I'm very excited about him!! Buck On Ranch

OK. So I have some places to send her but here are our draw backs for this disgusting state we live in......

We only have 2 shows a year and one is the State Fair. The other is an AMHA show. I don't know if she is going to be willing to travel a lot yet. I'm going to send her the websites you guys have suggested and let her go from there. She is an experienced driver, has trained several for herself and others locally (including a 4 up of miniature mules!).

Thanks for all your inputs so far. At least we have some ideas now! I think she is going to be leaning towards the Open horses. They seem to be more competitive in this area.

We have actually had Portia come out and do clinics here before (LOOONNGGGG ago). I'll tell her about her though too.

Without a doubt DM miniature horses.. not only did they have the performance horse of the year but the mare I got from them got FOUR National Driving Titles last year as well as several top 5's and 10's- there Roadster horse Sonny won 3 roadster classes and was res champion in 2 in 2006(our mare Dancer is bred to Sonny for a much anticipated foal)

lAnyone who has shown at Nationals in the past couple of years knows the competition in the driving ring is just outragous with literally tons of AMAZING moving horses be it CP, Open Pleasure or Roadster

They are fair and great to work with and I happen to know that they have a couple of driving horses (proven) for sale.

You can PM me for there email if you would like.

I cant say enough nice things about Don and Russ Maas they sure made our dream come true with Dancer and fetus (due any time now)

I would also check out Patty Cloake for a competitive driving horse but there are so many talented horses and trainers out there

Last edited:
Personally, I think she should come see my horses. I've got a couple of colts here that are knock outs, sane, versatile, priced to sell, healthy as can be, and going to DRIVE their brains out someday for the right person.

Mike McCabe!!! Love his horses and he is awsome
default_smile.png

He has a couple that could hop up in my horse trailer and come home with me everday :bgrin

Latest posts

Back