If you live in IA, KS, MN, NE, CO, ND, SD, WY, MB or ONT, you need to read this...............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
My husband Bob and I write the column for The Journal and the deadline is here and we are finishing up the column for the next issue and we are hoping for more last minute news and information to be submitted from those of you that live in Area VI.

Don't assume what you have to share is not newsworthy either. We all like to stay in touch and hear what is going on with each others horses, farms, families, etc. and it is fun to her about and share news, events, accomplishments, marriages, milestones, etc.

Also, we always manage to get something from people in MN and IA that know us but very rarely anything from the other states in Area VI, so if you've ever read the Area VI column in The Journal and thought "they never write anything about anyone or anything from my state" there is a reason and now is your chance to change that!

So again, if you live in Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Western Ontario or Manitoba, Canada Please consider taking a moment to either send me a PM through the forum or better yet, an e-mail directly to Bob to share your news, gossip, accomplishment, tidbit, etc. at:

Area VI Journal Column News

I would like to add....if you DON'T live in Area VI, please consider finding out who writes the column for your area and send them a note or tidbit to share

THANK YOU!!!

Sanny I know who writes the column for our area and she NEVER writes about anything but herself and the immediate area she is in even when she KNOWS about news from different states in the area. She has also at times not submitted news at all. There are many shows and breeders in this area and we all pretty much keep in touch but it is disapointing when this person never acknowledges what goes on in our area.

Sanny, I'm pretty sure you write for AMHR but others might not know.

As for writing about things in your area, I have to say that you are the first one that I've ever heard that was even interested in getting outside information. Our area "news" always seems to be about shetlands since that is what the person who writes it shows.

What area is Calif in? I don't get the journal yet but would like to know ~S~

What area is Calif in? I don't get the journal yet but would like to know ~S~
Again if you're talking AMHR it's: Area VII California; Arizona; Nevada; Hawaii . AMHA Region 9 is - Calf., Az, Nevada, Utah

Sanny, I'm pretty sure you write for AMHR but others might not know.As for writing about things in your area, I have to say that you are the first one that I've ever heard that was even interested in getting outside information. Our area "news" always seems to be about shetlands since that is what the person who writes it shows.

I once referred to the column as the "AMHR Journal" and was reprimanded by a pony person for doing so. It was made very clear to me that it is just as much the ASPC Journal. I am very careful now to be neutral when I refer to it since ASPC/AMHR/NSPR OR ASPR all fall under the same umbrella and I wouldn't want to play favorites or make anyone feel slighted
default_smile.png

I will admit to being guilty of writing stuff about our horses in our column, when we have not gotten enough from others in our area. It isn't easy sometimes.

If a columnist knows of or has been told news that isn't included in their column when it should be, that is a shame.

If they don't have any news because they are not getting anything submitted by anyone in their area, then I sympathize, because I know what that is like too.

For those that don't know who their columnist is or how to contact them, if you look in a recent issue of THE JOURNAL the name of the columnists and how to reach them should be at the end of each column.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the same thing occur as Fred mentioned which we are in the same "Area", and have even e-mailed details to the person that does our column news and I never even gotten a reply afterwards about the information forwarded.

I have had the same thing occur as Fred mentioned which we are in the same "Area", and have even e-mailed details to the person that does our column news and I never even gotten a reply afterwards about the information forwarded.
Not only that Scott been at the same show and the only thing mentioned is their horses.

Have you read the area 6 column since Bob and Mary took over? If not check them out, see what you think.

I guess I need to clarify. I was suggesting that you read the other area columns and see what you like/dislike and take some ideas back and suggest them to your area column writer. Hopefully they will incorporate something. If many of you have a complaint about the same column person, maybe you should contact AMHR/ASPC about it. I see several of you stating there is an issue of it being used as a personal brag page, or more or less free advertising. Does AMHR proof read these? If they know people are having issues with that person, maybe they will do something. It should be used as news for the area that the writer is from, and yes sometimes that might include them. I guess I can see your points if it is in every issue.

I try to make an effort to include everything submitted to us unless there has been a valid reason not to, or if we are not including something we try to e-mail back and let the person that submitted it know why. A good example of something not being included would be about an event that will have already happened before the next issue will be published. Not everyone realizes that the columns are written an issue or two in advance so news about shows or events needs to be submitted months in advance so that they appear in an issue that is published before the event happens. If you ever e-mail or PM me news and don't hear back I apologize because you have not been intentionally ignored.

We try very hard to get as much news as possible by sending out e-mails to people we know in our area and I always post here on Lilbeginnings asking for submissions from the people in all the Area VI states.

Area VI covers eight US states and two Canadian Provinces. Beyond MN/IA it is hard to keep track of what is going on elsewhere without help from people willing to take the time to contact us. I knew who had been crowned the new Registry Queen but until someone contacted me about her I didn't even realize she was in Area VI. She definitely should receive recognition and congratulations in the Area VI column in the Journal. That is a significant news item that would have been overlooked had we not gotten an e-mail about it. She is going to be a focal point of our next column.

I do not know the other area columnists that people have posted here about or complained about so I can't speak for them. I am very surprised though to hear that they are not using news submitted to them because I know how hard it is sometimes to get stuff to fill up the space. There have been times I've asked for submissions and our deadline will come and go and we will have had only one or two people send us anything. Bob, who is an award-winning journalist has been proactive in soliciting information from people when it is a story he knows about or he feels has merit and would be interesting to others to read, but since the column is a volunteer position and he has to work at his "real jobs" he doesn't always have a lot of time to go out looking for news and contacting people for information.

Back