If you DON"T show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking small

Reaction score
Do you clip?

Eventually the weather will turn warm here
rolleyes.gif
so i am curious for those who do not show and are in multi season climates, do you bother to clip the horses? we did not last year but honestly i think there even more furry this time 'round.

We do have an A5 but i dunno if it's powerful enough to get through the little walking rugs
laugh.gif

Well, I do show, but I can also tell you that no, I don't clip the ones that I don't show! And sometimes I don't even clip the ones I do show if the shows are a weekend apart. I am of course talking about local shows, and often Pinto Association shows. Also, our minis shed out pretty well, either on their own or with lots of currying and/or shedding blades.

Yes, I do. Usually not the whole horse. But I will whip out the clippers and take off those sweaty areas (chest, belly, neck) when it starts getting hot here. We usually go directly from winter to the heat of summer and the horses do not shed off fast enough.

I also show, but my broodmares don't get clipped unless it's for photos, and then it's only bridle path, and trimming heads and legs.

I do clip the babies and yearlings because they don't seem to shed out fast enough to stay cool.

I clip weanlings and yearlings and pretty up some of the stallions, but most of them I leave as they shed pretty well.

I have a smokey black 3 yr old who won't be doing any showing this year, but I will be clipping her. Her dark coat is a magnet for the sun and she get hot much faster than the other glrls (one silver bay and two chestnut/white pintos). The silverbay and younger pinto will get clipped as well. I'm showing one but taking both to shows as I don't want to transport one by themselves for 2 hours one way. And, I like the "clean look" of a clipped horse.

I have an A5 and have had no problem using it to clip my girls.

I don't show, but do clip the horses that don't shed out as well as others. I bathe them first and I don't clip the whole horse just where the hair is the thickest, usually their body and neck.

I show so of course those are clipped to a T thanks to Danielle and Kelly but I also clip the rest of my horses in the summer. I like them to look pretty.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not show but I am so looking forward to giving each and everyone of mine a good bath. One stays so slicked off she will not get clipped. Two of them are like wooly mammoth's and will definitely get sheared. One is like a curly yak. When she is done she will look like she went on a crash diet. I normally shear the stallion to find his pretty blue roaning but just brushing him out this year looks like it will be enough. Last year's and this year's colts will definitely get clipped to find their true color. For sure we are about to clear bridle paths and minimize forlocks on each one and get a good washing and mane and tail conditioning.

I don't show but I do clip most of my herd... it just makes them happier, once the heat arrives. There are a couple that shed out well on their own, so I just leave them to the brushes.

I use A5 clippers.

We do not show and we do not clip all of the horses. Just the ones that need a little help. Generally weanlings and yearlings get clipped here once the weather stays warm enough. The older horses shed out just fine on their own but if they did not then we would clip them as well so they would be comfortable. Can't be too fun to wear a winter coat when it gets hot out.

I do not clip horses unless we are going to a show, except for sometimes the babies (though I think their "coats" actually protect them).

Yes! I don't show but can't wait to clip my 2 girls. In the spring I don't give a show clip, just a long clip using a 5 or 7 blade. I do always keep the bridle path, face, and fetlock hairs under control. I use the Andis A5s and have no problem. I like my horses to look like horses, not yaks.
default_rolleyes.gif
Plus you get to see their pretty colors better. They don't completly shed out until late June/July and it's too hot by then.

I don't show either but I totally clip my horses. I'm very anal about wanting them to look pretty all year round. During the winter I keep up with bridle paths and under the jaws so no one gets beards so they still have their hair protection plus I keep them very groomed. I do a show clip twice a year, spring and late summer as if they were going into the ring and keep up with it once a month. Heaven forbid I see a fetlock hair! I don't do a #30 blade though for around here. I do a #10 and a #15.
default_biggrin.png

I have not shown the past 2 years. However, I do drive my horses and do not like the half shed out look. I clip my horses. Well, except for one. She sheds out rather quickly.

I don't show but I sure do clip, which is what I am busy doing today and tomorrow. The weather here in Italy is extreme. We go from -15° in January to 27° today. My poor lot are wearing huge fur coats and it is no fun at all. I also clip last years foals as they take ages to shed plus I just can't wait to see what they are really like under all that hair. I do bridle paths and chins in winter cos their halters won't fit otherwise.
new_shocked.gif

I only clip bridle paths and "beards" on my girls. Both shed out completely and beautifully (they're almost all shed out right now). I will clip foals as soon as the weather warrants.

Yes, I do. Usually not the whole horse. But I will whip out the clippers and take off those sweaty areas (chest, belly, neck) when it starts getting hot here. We usually go directly from winter to the heat of summer and the horses do not shed off fast enough.
I do the same. While we don't quite from winter to summer, it often gets too hot for the woolies before they shed themselves, so I clip for their comfort. Although, this year, I also have to clip and bathe for health reasons on a couple, they are getting Pyrethrin shampoos as soon as its warm enough (dusting isn't working as well as it should).

Yeah I live in the south so I clip to keep them from sweating to death!!! It gets quite hot here at times and my gelding's coat stays pretty dense so I clip it whether I show or not. Just to keep him comfy!

Latest posts

Back