If you could have one big horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
If money was no object and you could buy any big horse you wanted, who would it be? Hands down, for me, it would be the Holsteiner Stallion, Cabardino...I worked at the farm where he is when he first came to Canada from Germany. And I got to ride him, once. He has a stellar personality to go with his awesome conformation...and his form over jumps is
default_new_shocked.gif

Cabardino20hunter20Ocala2005-1.jpg

MCD_5061120Compressed-1.jpg

Who would you pick?

I have one big horse and could have another if only the time and for sure motivation struck me
default_biggrin.png
If I ever got another riding horse, I think it would be a Tennessee Walker, and most likely x2 (one for H, one for me). There's no specific individual I have in mind -- just pretty, uncomplicated TWH geldings.

My first riding horse, Sky, who we had put down (old age) a few summers ago was really my dream come true. I swear, I owned him for years before I could get over the fact that "that's my horse!". He was a gorgeous near black arab x qh that was smart as can be and very loving. I was lucky to own him for about 13 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez, that's tough one. A friend was telling me about a racehorse here in Australia who has just won her tenth race from ten starts. Apparently when she accelerates she just passes the others as if they were literally standing still. I'd take her.

Then with her winnings I could buy a nice Fjord pony and a black as black Friesian and a Gypsy Vanner who could wander around my paddock with the little guys and look magnificent.

Wouldn't say no to Bonfire (long retired and possibly passed Olympic dressage champion) I saw him at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. I had tears in my eyes. Of course I'd have him when he was in his prime.

Actually there are a few horses on this site I would be happy to give a forever home to.....but of course they are not big and don't fit the criteria.

My emoticons have disappeared............................any clues how I can get them back................................I miss them, I want them, I need them.

OK, I know this was not the question, but MY dream is to own a MINI that is the envy of the BIG HORSE world. I have one now that several of my dressage riding friends wish was 16 hands instead of 8, so maybe I am well on my way. Princess already does leg yields and shoulder ins and has done driven dressage.

I am already blessed enough to have both of them-

My wonderful boyfriend bought me Tirza, who is an imported Friesian mare. She's won at 3rd level, and trained to 4th level. She even does all the "tricks" and I can ride her around in nothing and she's a saint.

I also have my 23 year old heart horse, who's done everything and is my rock. I know she's my "one" good horse that you get in a lifetime, and am so thankful for her.

Tirza and me goofing about-

496.jpg

and me and Sassy at the beach a few years ago-
default_smile.png

P1020724.jpg

As an aside, I had a breeding booked to Caberdino for a Hanoverian mare I owned, but she turned out to be allergic to the extenders in the AI.
default_sad.png

I was so bummed.

I am just starting my search for a big horse so for me my dream horse is at least 16.0 hands.. older T/B or warmblood (although could possibly deal with a draft cross even a large QH)- retired show horse or even a retired school horse- servicably sound is even a possibility. early to older teens...

I already have them, my 2 Standardbreds. They are awesome!
default_biggrin.png

I am already blessed enough to have both of them-

My wonderful boyfriend bought me Tirza, who is an imported Friesian mare. She's won at 3rd level, and trained to 4th level. She even does all the "tricks" and I can ride her around in nothing and she's a saint.

I also have my 23 year old heart horse, who's done everything and is my rock. I know she's my "one" good horse that you get in a lifetime, and am so thankful for her.

Tirza and me goofing about-

496.jpg

and me and Sassy at the beach a few years ago-
default_smile.png

P1020724.jpg

As an aside, I had a breeding booked to Caberdino for a Hanoverian mare I owned, but she turned out to be allergic to the extenders in the AI.
default_sad.png

I was so bummed.
Wow! Sassy is so beautiful. Love Tirza, too. I will, one day, own a Cabardino baby (I've seen some gorgeous ones....). Are you still thinking about a breeding to him (can they use sa different extender...or are they all the same)?

I have him - my Khemosabi++++// son that I bred who'll be 19 this year - if money were no issue, I'd just take him and promote him enough that everyone else would understand how wonderful he is, and breed their mares to him before it's too late! (Khemo sired into his 30's....)

2007be-stone-small.jpg

db_Jjbo5b1.jpg

I have her already, her name is SPH Phancyphire. I bred her, she was born June 10, 1998. How the years go by. This photo is a proof, could not find the original but I bought the rights to the photo so can post it. This is Phancy and I at the Tulip Class Arabian Horseshow and Eastern Canadian Breeders Arabian Championship in Kemptville, Ontario. We placed 5th in Amateur Mares.
PhancyECB.jpg

If I can't choose a horse I already own it would be WA Allegra El Jamaal. A very pretty arabian mare from the same farm I bought my arabian stallion from. Had I the money I would have bought her when she was for sale.

I guess I always dreamt of having a beautiful black horse so when he caught my eye I had to have him. He is a black AQHA gelding named Sonny Four Sure. It was just an added bonus that he has an awesome personality and will do anything you ask. I was not riding him anymore so I have him out on a free lease with a family that also thinks he's awesome.

646143854_221_9508.jpg

I guess I always dreamt of having a beautiful black horse so when he caught my eye I had to have him. He is a black AQHA gelding named Sonny Four Sure. It was just an added bonus that he has an awesome personality and will do anything you ask. I was not riding him anymore so I have him out on a free lease with a family that also thinks he's awesome.

646143854_221_9508.jpg
default_wub.png
Lucky you....

Matt they talked about using a "french" extender, however, I became so frustrated with the entire money sucking process ($6,000 with no foal or hope in sight) and no other mare that I felt was "worthy" enough to breed to him... I gave up.

Sold the mare to the best home ever, and focused on Rn school and playing with my old mare, my goats, and my minis until the man bought me the FBP. (Aka fluffy black pony.)

My "other mother" is Maggie at http://marabetfarm.us and she has a Chaleon daughter by a Rio Grande that I want something fierce. So maybe one day again in the future! (her link JFF- http://marabetfarm.us/id30.html)

Appy- I've always loved your stallion, I admire him every time I wander onto your site!

I have recently discovered a horse I can still ride--the Missouri Fox Trotter! I have a sweet and wonderful mare. If I could have another it would be her aunt--a palomino champagne that has a gait to sigh over. I love my girl, but MAN I want her auntie!

My girl Kismet --my Christmas present from my fiance

100_3234.jpg

Her auntie...my dream! I love the champagne gleam, the freckles and amber eyes...but her gait...oh that gait!

100_3230.jpg

I would reincarnate my old Egyptian gelding, who will own a piece of my being forever.

He had that live in your tent personality and was a true gentleman with every breath he took.

He passed just 2 months before his 30th birthday.

I miss his friendship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, lets see. My first horse was a TW mare. She was 15H and, yeah, I don't think I want another one. My second horse was a QH filly. She was my best friend for years. Maybe I would want another. Then I got my Standardbred mare. What a Jewel of a horse. She was ridden English, Western, Sidesaddle and bearback. She would jump over 3 1/2 feet sidesaddle just because I asked her. Yeah, another would be nice. My TB. Ok. Can you say dumb as a rock? A professional trainer worked with him for 1 1/2 years and could not train him to take a proper lead. I finally gave up and gave him the ques as he would accept them. Which were very light, but, on the wrong side.
default_no.gif
No not another TB. I had an Arabian stallion that was a real hoot. He would cast himself against the stall gate and then who ever got him free, he blamed them for him being stuck. He was so attached to me. I had to load him in the trailer the day I sold him. He just would not load for his new owner. He walked right in for me. I could go for another Arab. And then there was my Appy. She would work for my bf I was seeing. I would get on her and she would trip and fall, hurt herself in the stall, fall off of bridges on the trail and walk by something a million times and be OK and then she would freak.
default_new_shocked.gif
No big horse Appys. I like my mini appys but no biggies. So I guess my perfect horse would be a cross (all the good stuff from each) between a QH, Standardbred and Arab. Oh, I have looked at them, a lot. I guess all I can do at this point is dream.

If I could have any horse in the world.....Moorlands Totilas.....that is one AMAZING dressage horse...but I wouldn't want to ride him
default_wink.png

I've got the horse(s) that I would ever want....

Wolfgang Amadeus (aka Moose) 14 yr old Hannoverian that I am working on getting to Prix St Georges

20100702_2415.jpg

And my Anoki 12 yr old PMU foal that I've trained to 3rd Level. I am just soo happy that he is sound again....and if I never do the level that I was doing on him again, I don't care!

Anoki09show1.jpg

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back