If you could have one big horse...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could have any horse in the world.....Moorlands Totilas.....that is one AMAZING dressage horse...but I wouldn't want to ride him
default_wink.png

I've got the horse(s) that I would ever want....

Wolfgang Amadeus (aka Moose) 14 yr old Hannoverian that I am working on getting to Prix St Georges

20100702_2415.jpg

And my Anoki 12 yr old PMU foal that I've trained to 3rd Level. I am just soo happy that he is sound again....and if I never do the level that I was doing on him again, I don't care!

Anoki09show1.jpg

~kathryn
Your boys are gorgeous, Kathryn. One day...I'll meet them.

It would HAVE to be my 3/4 Arabian gelding, Galdar that I grew up with. He was the love of my life for sure
default_wub.png
and I think of him often. He was more like a human than a lot of humans are. Galdar was the most kind and loving horse I have ever experienced. It was an honor to have him and I hope I made him happy too.

Just a few things he did that were noble to me. When I would get upset I would always go to him, tell him my troubles through streams of tears and he would stand there for as long as he was needed. If any other horse dared come near he would chase them off, coming back to hang his head over me.
default_wub.png
Then when he ran through a 4 strand barbed wire fence he walked right up to my Mom after running for miles, she was not a horse person and he just walked along side of her quietly into the driveway, blood still gushing all over him. She was afraid of horses, but not after she spent much time with him. I rode him up a 5000 foot mountain. About 1/2 way up it started to snow. I didn't think much of it until I looked around and his once very high tail set was tucked between his legs. I knew that if his tail wasn't up, he didn't feel good. Stopped to gather our berings and turned him around to go back down. I was feeling really chilled, so I wrapped the reins around the saddle horn, put another coat on and hunkered into the saddle. I never picked up those reins once and he took every step and turn like he was walking backwards. I had a friend of mine who was always afraid she would get lost in the woods, but with all my years with Galdar he never took a step wrong and always went back the same way he came in even if that was around this tree, quick around another tree, backtrack a little to go around that bush and he never missed a beat!
default_yes.gif
..I was never afraid of getting lost! He didn't like men, he would tolerate them, not hurt them, but didn't care for them...but then there was my Dad. Galdar would tolerate and I think enjoyed Dad. He would quietly stand while my Dad would saddle him and put all of his fencing gear on him. Twice a year my Dad would hop on my gelding and travel around the fence line fixing fence that sometimes was very steep and difficult to reach. I followed from a distance once just to see what went on. Dad never needed to tie him and sometimes he just had to walk and Galdar would follow along very patiently the whole time...I don't know maybe it was male bonding thing..LOL! With both of my parents he had a great respect for. His is what I mean by an unusual individual, more human than horse. He did countless other things that I don't have enough time for here, but I have never found one like him since. So he spoiled me for other horses because I am always comparing him to others...anyway him and my parents are probably riding high in heaven!
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
and I can't wait to see them all someday again!

Well I couldn't think of another besides him
default_wub.png

Jenny

I don't have any horses by name that I would pick but I would KILL to own a Gypsy Vanner. I rode a well known stallion named "Rocky" and it was amazing,
default_wub.png
I felt like a princess lol
default_laugh.png
I would even settle for a paint/ draft cross....
default_rolleyes.gif

Hands down I would snatch up Hollywood Dun It
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I LOVE LOVE LOVED that horse, the beauty, style and grace, simply breathtaking! And to watch him do a reining spin or slide
default_new_shocked.gif
*sigh* Unfortunately he was lost in 2005 at 22 years old
default_no.gif

Hollywood Dun It Album

I'd take his son Reminic N Dunit in a heartbeat
default_wub.png

And I LOVE the reining stallion Gunner, soooo flashy!

Gunner

I have my dream horse. He's not exactly the color I dreamed of, but it's ok. I love him just the same.
default_smile.png
I've always dreamed of owning a dappled grey.

I had wanted a grey gelding sired by The Last Captive for years. While searching for my dream horse this stallion was gelded at a young age due to health reasons. I knew it was going to be hard to find the right horse at the right price, but I was able to purchase Captive Moxie. He is a sorrel. Both of his parents are grey. Found him on dreamhorse.com. We bought him sight unseen. I was so excited when this adorable yearling came off the trailer. It's hard to believe he's been here 5 years. He will start training this year. I would love to do some jumping as well as dressage, but my favorite is hunter under saddle. We will see. He's lived in my backyard for years now. At this point I just love watching him trot across my pasture. Moxie has recently had three grey spots show up. Two on his rump and one on his shoulder..... He's six years old now. I can't imagine he's turning grey, but wouldn't that be interesting. Last year he had one spot now he has three. Interesting... any thoughts on this?

DSC_0024.jpg

Moxie5.jpg

He's cute
default_yes.gif
No, he's not going grey. Probably just normal sabino stuff going on (I'm such a colour expert
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Your boys are gorgeous, Kathryn. One day...I'll meet them.
Thanks Matt!!!! Bittersweet stories on how I got both of them, but I love them to death!!

You are more than welcome to come and visit anytime!!!
default_biggrin.png
But Anoki looks better once the weather warms and I can bathe him!!!!
default_laugh.png

~kathryn

I have him - my Khemosabi++++// son that I bred who'll be 19 this year - if money were no issue, I'd just take him and promote him enough that everyone else would understand how wonderful he is, and breed their mares to him before it's too late! (Khemo sired into his 30's....)

2007be-stone-small.jpg

db_Jjbo5b1.jpg
HOLY MACKEREL. Talk about drop dead gorgeous.
default_wub.png

Jenny you were so lucky to have such a beautiful boy in your life. Loved reading your story.
default_wub.png

It would HAVE to be my 3/4 Arabian gelding, Galdar that I grew up with. He was the love of my life for sure
default_wub.png
and I think of him often. He was more like a human than a lot of humans are. Galdar was the most kind and loving horse I have ever experienced. It was an honor to have him and I hope I made him happy too.

Just a few things he did that were noble to me. When I would get upset I would always go to him, tell him my troubles through streams of tears and he would stand there for as long as he was needed. If any other horse dared come near he would chase them off, coming back to hang his head over me.
default_wub.png
Then when he ran through a 4 strand barbed wire fence he walked right up to my Mom after running for miles, she was not a horse person and he just walked along side of her quietly into the driveway, blood still gushing all over him. She was afraid of horses, but not after she spent much time with him. I rode him up a 5000 foot mountain. About 1/2 way up it started to snow. I didn't think much of it until I looked around and his once very high tail set was tucked between his legs. I knew that if his tail wasn't up, he didn't feel good. Stopped to gather our berings and turned him around to go back down. I was feeling really chilled, so I wrapped the reins around the saddle horn, put another coat on and hunkered into the saddle. I never picked up those reins once and he took every step and turn like he was walking backwards. I had a friend of mine who was always afraid she would get lost in the woods, but with all my years with Galdar he never took a step wrong and always went back the same way he came in even if that was around this tree, quick around another tree, backtrack a little to go around that bush and he never missed a beat!
default_yes.gif
..I was never afraid of getting lost! He didn't like men, he would tolerate them, not hurt them, but didn't care for them...but then there was my Dad. Galdar would tolerate and I think enjoyed Dad. He would quietly stand while my Dad would saddle him and put all of his fencing gear on him. Twice a year my Dad would hop on my gelding and travel around the fence line fixing fence that sometimes was very steep and difficult to reach. I followed from a distance once just to see what went on. Dad never needed to tie him and sometimes he just had to walk and Galdar would follow along very patiently the whole time...I don't know maybe it was male bonding thing..LOL! With both of my parents he had a great respect for. His is what I mean by an unusual individual, more human than horse. He did countless other things that I don't have enough time for here, but I have never found one like him since. So he spoiled me for other horses because I am always comparing him to others...anyway him and my parents are probably riding high in heaven!
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png
and I can't wait to see them all someday again!

Well I couldn't think of another besides him
default_wub.png

Jenny

He's cute
default_yes.gif
No, he's not going grey. Probably just normal sabino stuff going on (I'm such a colour expert
default_rolleyes.gif
)

I had to laugh at the rolling eyes....That's how I am with color questions as well.

But I have to ask this... sabino?

His sire is a solid grey appendix and dam is a solid grey quarter horse.

These are grey hairs coming up in circular spots. One of them is the size of a dime and looks bigger this year. The miniature gelding I have with sabino has "ticking"... That's the only way I know how to explain it.

I find his color fascinating since this just started last year as a five year old.

I've got my dream horses - couldn't wish for anything better!!!! Reining champions with hearts of gold!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Edit to add: Ok - I'd take a Gunner any day!

Liz R.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to laugh at the rolling eyes....That's how I am with color questions as well.

But I have to ask this... sabino?

His sire is a solid grey appendix and dam is a solid grey quarter horse.

These are grey hairs coming up in circular spots. One of them is the size of a dime and looks bigger this year. The miniature gelding I have with sabino has "ticking"... That's the only way I know how to explain it.

I find his color fascinating since this just started last year as a five year old.
Well that's odd...Wow. All the greys' I've seen started to grey out, significantly, from at least a year old. I may be wrong, but a snip, stripe, blaze, socks etc. are usually the result of the sabino gene (and or others). Colour experts...
default_saludando.gif

edited...Yep, most start to noticably grey from a year old. I don't think it's possible that your guy is just starting to grey at six...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_(horse)

Are 100% positive that the sire and dam are grey?

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a horse that a guy boards on our farm that i fell in love with his name was Swade. The owner was wanting to do endurance riding and this horse didn't have the heart for it. I had a old gelding who was navicular that I ended up having to say goodbye too and my heart was just broken. The boarder handed me Swades papers that day
default_wub.png
.The boarder has since found his endurance horse and can see his friend anytime he wants. I'm gonna try to post a picture of us.. I would love a andalusian to,lol.

Photo0063.jpg

Well that's odd...Wow. All the greys' I've seen started to grey out, significantly, from at least a year old. I may be wrong, but a snip, stripe, blaze, socks etc. are usually the result of the sabino gene (and or others). Colour experts...
default_saludando.gif

edited...Yep, most start to noticably grey from a year old. I don't think it's possible that your guy is just starting to grey at six...

MOST you can tell at birth or by weaning... but there are exceptions!

Cal Poly had a mare who they thought was bay until she was bodyshaved the spring of her 7 year old year... she was fully grey a couple years later.

There is a DNA test for grey now if you want to know for sure!

default_saludando.gif

Yes, they are both registered grey with AQHA.

Karen--- really cool! Can you imagine their surprise? I will have to look into the DNA test. I saw a picture of Moxie's full sister. She was three years old and a bay.

Thank you both for the information.

My husband jokes with me. He said where the spots are(they are one side)that if I showed AQHA I might have some explaining to do. Kinda appy looking with his three white spots. Of course, he hasn't shed out. This is going to be interesting. One spot last year now two more this year(so far).......

I love my horse, he is a six year old dapple grey QH. Has the best personality and is so fun to ride. He is a sweetheart. My 8 year old rides him and he so good with her, all 48 pounds of her. (he is 15.2ish) Funny, I wanted a sorrel with a flaxen mane! I would not give him up for anything he is so awesome. BUT, I have always wanted an arabian to do reining with, guess I need to talk to Dontworrybeappy!

Okay I'm drooling
default_smile.png
. Nice horses everyone! I've had that once in a lifetime horse - a 15'3 bay Quarter mare who was just the kindest, most wonderful horse I have ever had the privilege to own. My dreamhorse, in general a neat little reining bred horse quiet enough to trail ride. In particular, I would have taken Rugged Lark in a heartbeat. I have an APHA Last Detail daughter now who is a pretty classy mare, just not what I need to be riding.

DSCF0716.jpg

Jan

Latest posts

Back