If excuse for checks is "safety"...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen more accidents at Nationals and its crazy. Where did all the training go? I think disneyhorse is right about what people are doing when it comes to showing at breed shows. I certaintly don't agree with it but oh well. I try to be honest and truthful as much as possible when it comes to selling a horse. If I feel it is not ready to step into the showring but you can drive him at home, I say he is greenbroke. If he is trained to where he can go into the show ring and perform, he is trained, if he can go out on trails at home and not be scared of the outside world, I say bombproof to drive. No horse is 100%, but I can depend on that horse whereever I go. If I get one that is supposely been trained to drive, and I can't drive it, and I paid $$$ for a broke driving horse, I will take that horse back and get my money back.

Headers are important. Yes your horse should stand there, but I have see too many accidents at Nationals during the line up, I will not put my horse in danger. My friend was driving at Nationals last year and the horse next to us flipped right next too her. It could have been bad, but her horse was calm and just stood there but I was right there incase I needed to pull him out. You never know what these horses will do. In the past I always said your horse should be well trained to just stand there in the show ring without a header, I won't say that anymore.

IMO you should be penalized for having such a tight check. I would like to see the use of checks as optional but unfortuantly, after attending convention for the first time it appears the BOD has the right to choose which proposal goes thru or not. I wish that would change.
default_no.gif

I learned the hard way about headers 8 years ago at my first congress. A friend was driving my mp pony and convinced me he didnt need a header. Well right before the line up her bridle came undone and was flapping. When he went to back her she refused with that bridle hanging off her head. If he had had a header they could have fixed the problem as soon as he came in the line up.

Well right before the line up her bridle came undone and was flapping. When he went to back her she refused with that bridle hanging off her head. If he had had a header they could have fixed the problem as soon as he came in the line up.
And the drivier knew it had come off? I thought that in a case like that you could ask the judge to fix the problem...fix it...and carry on with permission. IMHO, for the judge to see that bridle hanging off the horse's head, (one would HAVE to notice don't you think?) and not allow something to be done...was hugely negligent. Lucky the horse didn't run off and/or get hurt; or hurt someone else.
default_new_shocked.gif

Well i was watching from the stands and kept praying he would ask for a time out but he didnt. I do think he regretted it later. (it came off while she was going around the arena the last lap) She did finally back but did balk but still managed to place 9th. I so agree that someone could have been hurt and thank god she didnt get crazy over it.

Thats why I feel strongly that no matter how good of a driver you are or the pony is you should have a header because you never know what can happen.

Thats why I feel strongly that no matter how good of a driver you are or the pony is you should have a header because you never know what can happen.

I agree with your sentiment. My point was to continue to train to the point where the header is there as a safety valve for the unexpected. I'm sure you would agree that training the horse to stand quietly in harness when asked is of superior value pro-actively.

Bb

Kaykay and Jane, these well-trained and safe horses are a wonder aren't they?
default_wub.png
Whew...I can imagine how scared you were watching that potential wreck.

That reminds me of a drive that I took one of "my" youth on several years ago. She was driving my solid as a rock, as boomproof as they get, former stallion. As we came trotting up to the drive...and just as she turned, little Zeemer shook his head...and his bridle fell off!! (It was all buckled, but he does have a tiny head.) The look on her FACE!
default_new_shocked.gif
I just calmly asked her to tell him "eeeaaasy", and bring him down to a walk...which he did...then a nice halt; you would never have known that bridle was hanging around his neck. Let me tell you, I wasn't as clam on the inside, as I seemed on the outside.
default_laugh.png
default_wink.png

Anyone who has been around and or trained horses for any length of time will tell you that any horse of any training level can and will spook, or decide for the first time in their life they will not do what you are expecting or asking of them.

Not having a header can be very dangerous not only for that particular driver but for others in the line up as well. It does not have to mean the horse is lacking training but rather the handler is educated and chooses to take precautions for that what if moment.

Not to mention ADS driving is something totally different then show ring driving. One is not better then the other they are simply 2 different things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back