If a horse owner takes a new last name; does the registry charge to change the name on the horse's p

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
Okay, this may sound like a dumb question and it needs a bit of explanation...I recently married and took my husband's last name. Obviously my maiden name is the one listed as the owner on all of my horse's papers, as on my memberships. I know that I can just renew my membership at the end of the year and put my new name on it. However I am more concerned about my name on the papers, mostly because I do not want there to be an issue when transferring sale horses, signing service reports and certificates etc. I know that I could just sign my old name (as it is me and its not like I'm forging someone else's) but I want to go by my new name. Do the registries have a policy on this? Will they charge me to transfer ownership to myself? make me send in new photos of everyone and the such? I know this may be in a rulebook somewhere but I could not find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance.

A name change isn't an issue; just inform the registries. You have to pay to change the certificate if you need the new name. I had personally changed my ownership to the and/or to include my husband
default_smile.png

Not trying to put out a bad omen, but I was reading an older article in a horse magazine and it said that if both spouses' names are on the papers in a divorce the other person could be entitled to half of your horses. Many spouses may not care, but they may be interested if it is a high dollar horse.

I didn't have minis when I got married, but it wasn't a problem with the AQHA or APHA that my maiden name was on the papers and my new membership was in my married name; just informed the registry and they were fine with it. Didn't have much trouble when I sold my AQHA mare, the brand inspector inquired about the different names, told him I got married and paperwork was then good to go.

Thank you for the advice. I will not be putting my husband's name on the papers, I assume that the registries would charge me for a transfer of ownership if I add or remove someone else's name from the certificates. He says he does not care if he is listed on the papers or not. I was just not sure as to how to go about it. I know that they have specific forms for every transaction imaginable and I do not mind mailing all of my horse's certificates in to be changed. I was just curious if they would charge me the transfer fee or just a replacement or correction certificate fee, of if they want new horse photos? They have to be sticklers for details understandably, but I was unsure of the process and wondering if it was even necessary to change the papers or would notifying the registry suffice if my new name was in the system? Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back