If a horse is ----

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickermaker

Reaction score
AMHR registered and selling with AMHA application, what does this mean? Is this a good thing or bad thing? I would like for it to be registered with both, but am not quite sure if buying one this way is good or bad. Could some of you let me know the pros and cons of this? Horse being considered is a yearling, if this means anything. Thanks

Has the application been processed, ie has the horse been measured and the paperwork just needs to come back?? In which case you could check with AMHA to see if everything is in order. It might mean that the application has been sent, and the money paid, but not inspected, which means it could fail. You need to find out exactly what it means- I agree it is much simpler to buy already registered but if it's just the office being a bit slow because of the time of year, I cannot see a problem.

Beware! Sometimes, all that means is that the seller is providing you with an AMHA application. Doesn't mean it's possible to register the mini with AMHA (unless you hardship). Make SURE that both parents are AMHA registered & the applicable paperwork is up to date. (registrations, transfers, stallion reports, breeders certificates).....and make sure this mini's dam was on the AMHA stallion report.

I agree with Dona. Everything might be Ok or it could be a paperwork nightmare! Make sure the application and service certificates are signed by the owners of record. And as Dona said, make sure the dam is listed on the stallion report for that sire.

I have sold weanlings with their AMHA papers pending because AMHA is so slow to get their papers back to you. However, a buyer can always call AMHA to check the status just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

And also adding to Dona's post, be sure that the DNA, if required, has been completed.

You can contact AMHA to determine if everything is up to date on the sire/dam to ensure the yearling qualifies for registration. - my personal recommendation

Here is the AMHA web site for more information/contacts.

www.AMHA.org

I have sold several this way. Mainly foals thou. I also will give a written garantee that the papers will go though fine. If not then they can bring the horse back.

I would get somthing in writting stateing if you do not receive the AMHA papers you either get money back or the horse goes back.

I bought my yearling stallion with his AMHA papers and the breeder sent me AMHR paperwork for me to send in if I wanted him registered AMHR (they don't regularly register the foals AMHR themselves, but do have all the paperwork in order). I had no problems with sending in his AMHR application and transfer.

Back