ideas for spring training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyborFarm

Reaction score
I want to begin our spring training soon and Im running out of ideas, expecially with the weather. We still have snow and mostly ice coating everything. My poor little guy has been confined to his 10'by10' and a covered 12'by12' fenced in awning. The other half of the barn and awning are taken up by my sister's new horse. And untill the ice in the driveway clears up I cant take him up to an indoor arena to do a majority of our training. Our weakness is halter because he's not the typical mini, he's more pony like in structure (he's 36"). Any ideas on starting us working?

Thanks all,

Megan

There are many things you can do in the area that you described. Practice walking to the judge and trotting away. Ask your horse to really push up and forward at the trot out. This will show off his form and movement to the judge. Also practice setting up and showing. Your horse will need to learn to stand in the "set" position for a period of time and you want him to be able to stay fresh. Teach him when to turn it on and when he can relax. Many people try hard to keep their horse "turned on" the entire class. What I teach our horses is to relax at the end of the lead until I am ready for them to show. I will then que them to show. Then step back and let them relax. This allows my horses time to just stand relaxed at the end of the lead, they don't get worn out and will stay fresh for the long classes or back to back Champion and Grand Champion classes.

You could try sacking out which is just getting him use to different things all over him so if you go some where he who't sppok at the plastic bag in the trashcan or stuff like that. You can use anything and just rub it all over him so he gets the sense that its not going to hurt him. you could do basic leading and turns, lateral movement, trotting. You could set him up and have him stand there.

Also, just general stuff like walking nicely with you and doesn't lead you or make you drag him. He needs to know to back up or step forward just a couple of steps without rearing up or shying. Just get him to do the simple things and the other stuff will be easier when you can get into a larger area. It is hard to get him to trot out nicely in a 22 ft length, but trotting him short lengths to teach him the command is not a bad idea. You can also use that time to teach him to turn midtrot as we do for the judges. They can be a bit dense about that sometimes and act up when you ask them to turn. Also, if you have anyone there sometimes, have them walk closely and teach him to stand and watch if he wants to, but to not move--even if accidentally touched by that person. This has always been a big thing for us since our horses are usually a bit high strung and will jump and move when someone gets close to their side or behind.

Hope this helps.

Angie

Oh, yea, and have fun
default_biggrin.png

I feel your pain as I spent most of today (and lots of other days this winter) chopping ice and covering it with used bedding. I have managed to create a limited area where ours can be turned out. Usually I pick out the manure and use only the wet bedding, but sometimes I use whatever I can get. It really does help to provide traction on the ice. Maybe you could spread some in your driveway to give you a bit more (and new) working space?

My other thought - do you have a garage you could work in? I am thinking about setting up a trail course in ours!

One day last spring, the snow was really packed down and the horses looked bored... soo I made cavvaleties out of snow and we used those to practice! I thought it WAS fun
default_biggrin.png

Thank you for all the advice!
default_biggrin.png
I will diffinately be working on setting up and standing.

Targetsmom: I do have a garage... but its got cars in it! :DOH! Hehehe, usually its mine because it always breaks on me
default_wacko.png
So thats not very possiable... I could use our basement
default_biggrin.png

Im hoping to have the driveway cleared of ice soon. Id rather work in mud then not be able to do anything.

Snow cavelitties sound so cool!
default_yes.gif
I may have to look into making something like that
default_biggrin.png

~Megan

Back