Icky eye issue with my mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looney2n

Reaction score
I have a 15 year old beautiful mini palamino mare. For the past few days I noticed one eye that was running quite a bit. I washed it out, just with warm water but every day it looks the same. I finally put salve in it (veropolycin) and it looks a little better but is still weeping alot. Anyone have any thoughts if this is just a normal cold or if it may be more serious where I should call a vet. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Looney2n

I always call the vet for eye issues, so i would be calling the vet if the eye was teary for more then just a few hours. Sometimes my colt will look a little weepy in the morning, but if it hasn't cleared up by the time he finishes breakfast or if it is goopy at all I have the vet out ASAP. It is just too easy for something major to go wrong really fast in the eye for me to put off calling the vet.

I agree with calling the vet with eye issues. Good luck with your girl.

Hi Looney2n,

I agree with the others and as long as it hasn't cleared up I would check with my vet.

It is possible she may have something in it or maybe it is just a scratch - knowing how much you love this mare I know you will feel better having the vet check her out.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Deffinately have the vet come out and look at it! Don't mess around with eyes. I had a filly this year who has allergies and ended up with a goopy eye. On the other have a colt that has scratched his eye twice and ended up with yellow goop coming out of his eye. CALL THE VET AND HAVE THEM CHECK IT OUT. Please, don't let this go.... Just call the vet. You'll feel better! Let us know what happens!
default_smile.png

There is a triple antibiotic eye ointment that works great. The issue with eyes is that if the eye has a scratch or ulcerated area if you use any drops or ointment with steriods in it the eye can be damaged worse. However the triple antibiotic ointment for the eyes without cortisone or steriods works well. I would get the vet to come, but if you don't know what to do in the mean time try buying some of this ointment from a vet's office. I put it in 3 times a day if possible.

You all are so very helpful! When I first saw her eye, my gut said to get a vet out. But of course, I'm always trying to keep myself from spending money when it sometimes may be nothing. The ointment I used on her is one that the vet had given me for my little colt (the one in the avatar that I got from Donna
default_cheekkiss.gif
: (Qttrae). He had cut his cornea this fall and the ointment did wonders so I thot it wouldnt hurt her but now I'm a bit worried from what jdhand wrote. The idea of the triple antibiotic ointment is one I will write in my notes though. I will get the vet out asap and will let you all know how she is doing. This forum sure is a God send. Thanks everyone for caring.

Well, the vet just left. I am SOOO blessed for all your advice to get the vet out here! :aktion033: My little beauty has Anterior Uveitis or 'moon blindness'! I was almost balling when he told me cuz I've heard so many bad things about that. But the vet said we may have caught it in time to save her eye! Anyway, if we treat it aggressively, she may be just fine without any other occurrences or loss of sight.

A few of you on the forum know that I have been contemplating selling all my mini's because I have to have surgery and will be out of commission for awhile. I didnt want my hubby to be overloaded with my stuff as well as his. But, he insists that he can handle it all. Well, I guess this will really be a good opportunity for him to show how much he wants these 'kids' of ours cuz it's gonna take A LOT of his time to help get our girl better. Please keep her in your prayers and thank you all for the wonderful advice. God Bless.

Latest posts

Back