I wanted to introduce my rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you rescued him, he is a sad sight to see but can't wait to see how he turns out once he gets some weight on him.

Bless you for rescuing this sweetie, I am sure once you get some weight back on him he will look amazing. Please keep us updated with pictures :bgrin :lol:

Yvonne

Cannot wait for Rileys updates :lol:
default_wub.png
:

I'm glad you will take me up on the offer of a halter and treats! Like I said, don't have too much style and color to choose from on rope left and have been waiting forever for my order, but I will do my best. Measure around the nose where the noseband should lay, all the way around the throatlatch and over the poll, and the length his cheek pieces should be. That will really be helpful to get a measurement for those cheek pieces as that will make all the difference in how that halter will fit.

Also, when I was experimenting with my apple cinnamon bronc buster treats, my hubby ate the first 50! :eek:
default_yes.gif
: I'll incude an assortment for your sweet boy.
I just printed up a order form, if I had known somebody who made treats I would have ordered a LONG time ago. My minis dont really like the hard treats that I buy at the feed store, so hopefully they like your better.

Thanks again everyone =) Riley is finally getting some bounce back to his step which is very nice to see!

Debi, your message made me laugh SO HARD about your husband eating the first 50 treats LOL!!!!!

I just printed up a order form, if I had known somebody who made treats I would have ordered a LONG time ago. My minis dont really like the hard treats that I buy at the feed store, so hopefully they like your better.

Thanks so much! I appreciate that and hopefully your guys will like them. So far I have a perfect record but there has to be some out there that will say "no thank you"
default_wink.png
:

wow I am so proud of you for doing what was right. That colt really needed you and I am glad that you came along and found him. In many ways jesus helps us with our problem and i think that when you help someone or something in dire need of help your doing a good deed and a good deed goes very far in life. Bless you for your bravery in steping up to the plate and helping this little colt. I pray that this colt will get better fast and that whatever happends to him that god will bless it and your eforts as well.

I'm so glad you have rescued him. Thank good ness you found him. I'll be looking forward to his updates.

I worry about the others that have been left behind. I hope the others can seek a new life with someone such as yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks so much! I appreciate that and hopefully your guys will like them. So far I have a perfect record but there has to be some out there that will say "no thank you"
default_wink.png
:

Well, I hope that it isnt mine, mine were rescues also, they were bones also, but have gained 90% of their weight back. The stallion is having trouble keeping weight on but its because of what has happened to him. He was attacked by 3 dogs, and then a few months later his false nostrils collapsed, so he had to have surgery. And of course the surgery messed up his bite, and he sounds like he is snoring 24/7. I love him to death though, he looks at you with bucked teeth sometimes looking like he is smiling at you. But where they were at, they had no clue what treats were when I got them. I had to literally shove them in their mouths.

jjnov,

:no: :no: How terrible!!
default_sad.png
Bless you for taking such wonderful care of them. That poor boy, I cannot imagine how horrible.....

Four of our minis and five of our big horses are rescues. It can be so heartbreaking, but joyful and rewarding too. Have also worked with abused and neglected dogs. Sometimes you think your heart will just break from all the emotional anguish but then you get that sweet doggie lick or gentle horsey nicker and it's all worthwhile.

I just have to write again in this mans defense...it is my strong belief and knowledge after talking with him numerous times, that he just didn't know. He didn't work with the mini's, his wife did, she did all the vaccinating, de-worming, etc. and he just was happy knowing that his wife was happy. When she passed away, he was left in the dark as to knowing how to care for the horses in all areas. When my friend and I returned to pick up Riley, we brought with us a bag of feed that you can cheaply get from Fleet Farm for $7.00 but it's an awesome complete feed that I personally know puts healthy weight on mini's, and a healthy shine to their coats. We also brought along a tube of de-wormer and the man asked how to administer it...we knew then that he didn't have a clue how to de-worm the horses. But, after we explained it, and helped the man realize a few other things, he gladly took to our positive re-enforcement. He wants nothing but to help the horses, he didn't truly realize how bad they were getting.

I spoke with him on the phone today, he told me how he separated the skinny mare and her filly from the rest of the mares into her own small paddock. He's de-wormed her, and he has so far worked her up to 2 cups of the feed. I suggested he work her up to 3 cups, and feed her am and pm (along with free choice hay) and right away he said ok, and he thanked me for the suggestion, since he doesn't know what to do he really is glad to have the help.

It personally makes me feel so much better to know that he's making the effort and taking steps in the right direction to continue caring for these animals. He also should have a few more animals leaving this weekend so his numbers will be down, and he'll have more time to focus on the ones who really need his attention. He told me today he was really hoping to hear from me again soon, and I updated him on how Riley was doing. He's really happy that Riley has found a home with me. I am too =)

Any idea how many horses he has in his care?

Does he have the money, but not the knowledge to care for them, or can he not afford to take care of all of them?

I am also going to write in defense of this man. He does have the money and the means to care for the horses, just not the know how. His wife always took care of everything. All these horses were kept up to date on worming and shots, as far as what I have been told. These horses are about 1/2 hour from my house, and I am now in constant talk with him in regards to things. I have been in the past as well, but was always assured that everything is fine....until this past weekend. These horses were his wifes passion, the man loves all his minis and has a exceptionally big heart for any animal. I also want to point out, that just this past June, he took in a few very thin and emaunciapated mares, who were bred. At that time, I was talking to his wife and telling her how to go about feeding them, she was there for the births of all 3 foals, and had bought weight builder etc, then in July she passed away, so as far as these 2 mares go, that should not be held against him...he saved these horses from there death bed in June, and they at least gave the mares the chance to have there babies, (which all went well) and now was just afraid to give them to much, he was afraid of founder or colic. Also, the cremello colt, has colicked 3 times in the past year, and I know this man was up around the clock walking his little baby, because they called me asking what they could do until they got ahold of the vet. So this is definitely not a case of someone having horses and not taking care of them..its a case of NOT KNOWING. Her hubby had no clue as to do what with what. He has bags of beet pulp and weight builder, plus he also found wormers now. So I am sure with a few close friends who can show him the right direction to go...he will be fine. I am planning on taking a ride up there this Monday. If I need to I will bring his babies home to my house to care for them, since its almost time to wean them anyways. I also know a neighbor of his, who has a few horses I am sure would be happy to help him out and show him. PLEASE dont judge someone until you know the whole story, also not all of his horses look exceptionally bad. This mans health is not the greatest, but he managed to built a barn this past year with 6-8 box stalls in, so his babies wouldnt have to stay out in the winter. He has about 15 minis. I think with time and some knowledge, he will be Ok in the feeding department, but in the meantime it will definitely take some time to bring his horses up to where they should be, and there are a few of us in the area ready to help any way we can, Corinne

Bless you for taking the colt and bless you all for helping this man. Have you sent him the pics of Riley so he can see, hopefully with a different eye, how bad he really is? I have seen folks that are barn blind about conformation, etc.. but a skinny horse is a skinny horse and I would ASSUME that if I had one that was thin, that it would need more feed. It's pretty elementary, but at least the guy is listening and trying to improve them.

Do the others have lice too? They all need to be treated!

Beet pulp might be something the guy may want to add to his feed?? And some BOSS perhaps too, especially for the mare and foal til they get back their weight.

Ok, we want weekly pics of Riley as he progresses!! I am sure he will turn into a completely different horse than what we see here. I would take the guy pics too every couple of weeks- make a photo album so he can SEE the difference and what is happening there.

Good luck and keep us posted on them all!

Corinne, you are also an angel here!! Both you and MiniHoofBeats efforts are to be commended and I am very thankful that you are so willing to educate this man. Not only are you both ensuring the future well being of these horses, but you have opened the eyes of another person on how to see... and then what to do about it. As I have said before, no matter how obvious it may be, there are situations where some people just cannot see the forest for the trees. Thank you.

I will keep posting updates on Riley, at least until his winter coat comes in and you just can't tell what he really looks like anymore. The real winner update, will be next spring when I can clip him!

Today I took him out for a nice walk, and was able to trim off the longer hairs where I saw he had patches of lice eggs on him. I hope that reduces his chances of them hatching on him though I will still follow up in 2 weeks with another treatment of powder just in case.

He already appears to be filling in along his topline a little, not his butt yet. He still lacks the energy to move any faster than a walk but, i'm sure he will be bouncing around when he has his butt and leg muscles back =) Right now I am just happy to see that he has the will to look up at me, to give me soft nickers when I bring him his grain, and that he is still sweet as pie =)

Oh hey if anyone wants to help out with name suggestions that would be great!

I would like to put after the farm name, "Jandts ........" so I can still have the Jandts name in there, as well as a little something of my own. So far I thought of a few such as "...Jandts Last Chance" or "....Jandts Special Request" or "....Jandts Final Request" or even something else interesting...in a way I was thinking of a name along the lines of once being great, being in his condition now, and his coming back. But I can't think of much lol!

Any idea's you all want to throw in would be great!

Those sweet nickers must just wrench your heart, but also reaffirm your desire to do all you can for this boy.

I like your ideas behind the name. Here's a few off the top of my head.

Jandt's Divine Providence

Jandt's Providence

Jandt's Repeat Performance

Jandt's Destiny Revisited

Jandt's Returned to Splendor

Jandt's ComeBack Kid

Wow those are great! I'll have to go outside tomorrow and try on a few of those names and see how they click with him...I never would have thought of those lol!

Today I thought of Jandts White Redemption =)

:no: poor fellow. Can't wait to see his updates. He will make you a fine little fellow once you get him well.

I am so glad you are am to help him.

Thanks for helping Riley, he will make you smile.He will be so thankful for what you are doing for him.

Latest posts

Back