I wanted to introduce my rescue

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
Ok...I was debating posting Riley's story at all but, I feel he is important and deserves some recognition for making it so far! I will not disclose names of breeders or previous owners. I believe one of them may be a member here and may or may not want to be known, that is for their own discretion!

Last Saturday, a couple friends and myself drove just a couple horse north of us to a small-time miniature horse farm. Most of the horses were in pretty bad shape. I don't blame the owner at all, he's been going through some very hard times with just losing his wife to cancer, and he was just diagnosed with serious heart issues, life-threatening, and he has a young child to still be concerned about. He isn't lacking care for the horses, he just doesn't understand how to care for them. They were his wife's hobby.

Anyhow, my eyes fell upon one sad, little sight...a small cremello colt, looked pretty young by how petite and fragile his frame was. He was literally a walking skeleton...in a small pen with two other colts his size, all tiny, around 28". The other colts were in much better shape. I was told they were all 2 year olds. I looked at the cremello again and was just shocked...no way...he is too fragile looking to be a 2yr old! So, I went in the pen. I knelt down by the cremello, who just stood there, head hanging low, eyes drifted off elsewhere. I put his tiny head in my hands and lifted up to look into his eyes. He briefly glanced at me, studied me, then his eyes glazed back over. His head sat heavy in my hands...and I just knew I had to bring this one home.

Well ok so there's an entire book more on this colt and his conditions but to be short...he was deathly skinny, bloated belly, diahrrea, long toes, runny eyes, depression had set in, and he had no effort whatsoever to shake off the two healthy dogs that were jumping all over him in their excitement to see me and my friends. He barely had the effort to hobble his way to the trailer, and when one of the horses whinnied a goodbye as we took the long walk down the driveway, he tried really hard to reply but all he let out was a breathy, squeeky reply with not having the muscle to really push out a real goodbye. His owner was really happy to see him going to a good home, he really liked this colt a lot, I could tell.

So if you made it this far...lol...here are a few pictures I took of Riley the morning after he arrived home. I don't think they really show the extent of how skinny he is, in person he looks worse...maybe because I can see every bone that moves under the skin as he walks...oh, he's all of 28.5", with long toes, as a 2.5yr old:

DSCN8022.jpg

DSCN8031.jpg

DSCN8021.jpg

DSCN8026.jpg

DSCN8020.jpg

Here he was in his quarantine pen, yesterday I let him out to enjoy more room!

DSCN8037.jpg

Here's his runny, but beautiful blue eyes =) I found out by studying that his blue eye with the green outer edges indicates he is a double cream dilute which makes sense...both his parents are palomino!

DSCN8036.jpg

He's already received a good scrubby bubble bath, he's on a de-worming schedule, vaccinations, and during his bath I found out he was covered in lice so he's being treated for that as well. Farrier's scheduled to stop by, and Riley already learning to love his feed, he's adorable, such a sweet personality =) He already is perked up quite a bit, and feeling clean too!

I will post updates, i'll be taking weekly photo's for my own records. The last stallion I rescued that was in this similar state took only 6 weeks of good feed and care and his body was back to great health! I hope Riley fills in soon...poor boney thing!

Oh just for comparison...his head is so tiny, even at 2.5yrs old, that not even my mini weanling sized halters fit his head correctly...they're too big! I need to find a halter for him that has a bigger nose area, but much shorter for behind his ears. Eventually...right now he's enjoying no halter! The one he came in was huge, it hung down onto the soft part of his nose and rubbed under his jowls.

Anyhow I can talk forever about this colt...he's got an amazing pedigree, all Jandt's on top, on bottom he goes back to Boone's Little Prince and Iowa's Little Kernel. He has great potential but well, i'll have a better idea of him after he fills out. Food now, evaluate later!

Thanks for letting me share O'Riley
default_wub.png
:

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

default_pray.gif
: [SIZE=36pt]WHY?????[/SIZE]
default_pray.gif
:

Good Luck with this poor little boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
How heartbreaking!
default_sad.png
I will be eagerly watching for updates.......and eventually a great "before and after" story with photos!

I think your little guy just found his Fairy Godmother!
default_yes.gif
:

MA

Thank you everyone, I have to say it really uplifts my spirits to know that I brought this colt to a better home. It makes me feel really good about myself that I had the room, I had the finances, and I brought him home =)

I just got off the phone with his original breeder, they too are thankful that he's found a new home with me and it just adds to making me feel really happy about helping Riley =)

You are a wonderful lifesaver for Riley!! I will am looking forward to seeing updated pictures of him as he improves as I know he will under your care!!

Any idea what's happening with the other horses where he came from? Are they in the same shape as Riley is??

He is beautiful and I look forward to watching him bloom under your care! Kiss that little nose for me!!

" I don't blame the owner at all, he's been going through some very hard times with just losing his wife to cancer, and he was just diagnosed with serious heart issues, life-threatening, and he has a young child to still be concerned about. He isn't lacking care for the horses, he just doesn't understand how to care for them. They were his wife's hobby. "

Ugh...I wish more people realized when it was time to let them go, even if it means giving them away....

I can't help but lay blame on them, I don't know how anyone can stand by and let that happen.

Glad you got him, and it is possible he could grow some after he's fed, but then again, he may be stunted, too, to a degree, for lack of food while he's growing.

Can't wait to watch him improve, and when I had one like that (a horse I sold that I took back when I discovered his condition was much like yours), I clipped him with a #7 blade to get rid of the longer hair so I could better treat the lice. You need to re-treat within two weeks to get the next hatch of eggs for sure, though.

Good luck and kudos!

Liz M.

I am so glad you rescued him and the guy was willing to let him go to a good home. And how many other minis are in the same type situation? Where has common sense gone to that somone will let these wonderful litle creatures get to looking like that before doing anything? Just love em so much I can't part with em, seems to be their answer. So good of you to rescue that little guy..bet he will be a beauty when you get him in shape. Good luck with him, Mary

Liz, thanks yes I know how those lice eggs can hatch a whole extra round! I battled horrible lice on another rescue but you know how it goes...after wearing half the lice powder on yourself a few times, it just gets easier! lol!

Kim - fortunately most of the others were not this bad. Yes there were a lot of backbones sticking up and narrow, pointed butts, but the others at least were holding their own for the most part. There was just one mare there that I and my friends don't think is going to be alive much longer. The way I describe her is, she literally looks like her skin is "shrink wrapped" to her bones. Worst part of it is that she has a young filly by her side, just as skinny but of course you can't see that because of baby fuzz. We had to take the guys hand and dig his fingers into her fuzz for him to realize her condition and you should have seen his face...eyes wide, sudden realization...I really don't think he knows just how bad the horses are, like he is "barn blind". He did say he's going to move the mare and her filly to their own paddock, feed them separate from the others, he does have a large bag of weight gain supplement he bought for the mare, and he mentioned he planned on stalling her through winter indoors. What really bothers me though is he said he recently brought her home, rescued her sort of, from another place and that she looked even worse before? I still don't see it...she is so fragile, so thin...I wish someone would take that mare and her filly but the guy refuses, said he paid $700 for her. I think he'd let her go for $4-500 but he wont let her go for free...sadly...my friend and I tried...we really tried to get her to a different home. But, we do know now that he has opened his eyes to the truth and hopefully will really start working on that mares condition.

I am so glad you helped him understand the mare's condition and am praying that he will help her. It's just so scary after the KS minis to see another mini in the same condition. Wonder how many more are out there like this that we don't know about??

Thank you for saving Riley!! I think he will end up being a pretty little boy once he plumps up some.

I wanted to share these baby pictures that his breeder just e-mailed to me...look how nice he looks with rounded curves! I hope he looks this good again soon =)

8.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

Wow. Great save, but I'm sorry, I just don't see how anyone can let animals suffer like that. The easiest thing to do would have been calling someone for help such as the local vets, humane society, SPCA, rescues, breeders, feed stores, police, SOMEONE before it got this bad. If there was no help or homes and the situation became overwhelming, there's always humane euthanasia. Chances are if this person's wife left behind a child it wouldn't have gotten like this even if they didn't know how to care for it!

Bless you, and for many reasons.... rescueing this little boy, helping to educate the owner, having a servant's heart for God's creatures and compassion in your spirit for the family as well. Yes, if you cannot care for the animals then do not keep them, but none of us truly know another person's situation or state of mind. There are many things that can blind a person to something which is so obvious to others. I am NOT condoning this man's care of these horses in any way, but I also will NOT judge him. I commend you for being caring and showing this man the horse's condition in a way which will be accepted and understood by him, just how badly these horses need care. You always get further with sugar than vinegar and ultimately, the animals getting the care they need NOW is our goal. And yes, there are plenty others out there that are simply cruel and evil in their "care" of animals. We are the adopted home to one miniature who's previous owner is in prison now, and rightfully so.

If it will be helpful to you and Riley, I would gladly make you a rope halter for him and send it to you. I don't have much rope style and color options right now but if that will help, simply email or pm me some measurements and I will make one to custom fit him. Would be happy to do that it you would like. May I also send him some of my treats??

Awww oh that would be so sweet of you to donate some treats and a custom fit rope halter for Riley, I would truly appreciate those and I know he will too! I will get some measurements on him later this evening when I get home, any specific way I should measure for a rope halter?

I agree with you completely that you get better results with positive re-enforcement, than simply walzing in and judging with cruel thoughts and words. My friends and I were firm with our words, but kind in how we said them and by the time we left (the second time lol) the guy really had a completely different mindset. And I have to admit...with Riley home, seeing him so often, sometimes I see so much good IN him, his outward appearance seems to disappear from my thoughts. I mean, I know what he looks like...but my mind can easily fuzz the bad out so maybe since this guy is around these horses all the time, he really doesn't see the bad...

I still don't understand how animals can get so emaciated without concern coming up sooner...I want to go home and sit with Riley now!

p.s. Debi your treats look wonderful! Peppermint is currently a favorite around here but after looking through your samples wow...i'm jealous, lol...I want some treats LOL!

:aktion033: for you for saving him. I think there's a nice little horse in there somewhere, just waiting to get out.
default_wub.png
:

Oh thank heavens you rescued him. Outlawridge took all the things I had to say though
default_sad.png
I can't wait to see pictures of his improvements
default_smile.png

I'm glad you will take me up on the offer of a halter and treats! Like I said, don't have too much style and color to choose from on rope left and have been waiting forever for my order, but I will do my best. Measure around the nose where the noseband should lay, all the way around the throatlatch and over the poll, and the length his cheek pieces should be. That will really be helpful to get a measurement for those cheek pieces as that will make all the difference in how that halter will fit.

Also, when I was experimenting with my apple cinnamon bronc buster treats, my hubby ate the first 50! :eek:
default_yes.gif
: I'll incude an assortment for your sweet boy.

default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

that so breaks my heart...you are a angel
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: I will be sending best wishes to you for his speedy healing
default_yes.gif
: you are such a wonderful person!!!

I had a friend once rescue a colt like that...and, now he is a beautiful healthy grown horses...that will most likely never leave her.

best of luck to you all,

lis

My heart hurts for that little horse, and for all the others left behind. :no:

There are NO excuses, simple as that.

Thank you for taking this little boy. He deserves better, they all do.
default_please.gif
:

Latest posts

Back