I"ve about had it with this place

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Ok, first let me say Mary Lou and all those who help keep this place running, I think you do a wonderful job and I realize the whole nature of a forum is free speech by all. What I don't understand is how some of you can be so darned uppity to think you are the only one entitled to ask a question or have an opinion or that you don't make mistakes. I have seen several posts lately that to be honest have simply pi**ed me off. Especially when it deals with new or young owners. The one that finally broke me down to write this post was the one about the gal who is having to give up her stallion because a halter was left on and he's too touchy now. Do I feel bad for the horse...of course I do, but I just bought a full size horse who was owned by an adult, was trimmed on a regualr basis and was fed daily but always wore a halter. Guess what, when I took off her halter a chunk of skin came off too from where it had rubbed and gotten sore and scabbed to the halter. This horse was handled all the time and was around people who had a fair amount of knowledge who left a halter on and now the mare will most likely scar. How can some of you be so darned condesending. Like you've never made a mistake. I'm here to tell you I've made my share over the years and I'm not afraid to tell people so they can learn from my mistakes as well. I applaude the young gal for saying how sorry she was. Also, some of you better hope to heavens you are never in her shoes. I realize this forum is for horse issues, but there is most definately a human side to think of when you reply to the posts. Maybe some of you are so blessed as to have no stress in your life or you have a great natural ability to cope with it. Many people do not. I know of several people who need a little extra guuidance and support to get through the day and many days I would include myself in that category. This girl sounds like she's been through a lot lately and support would have went a lot further to help her than all your critisism. For those of you who have the ability to handle life - congratulations, but don't forget that when it is you asking for prayers and sympathy that what goes around comes around. The golden rule was created with a purpose and we'd all do good to remember it!.

"The one that finally broke me down to write this post was the one about the gal who is having to give up her stallion because a halter was left on and he's too touchy now."

The halter was left on for A YEAR and had to be CUT OFF by a veterinarian. I guess I should have told the young lady it'll be okay and that sh*t happens? Now I'm far from perfect but if I ever have to ask for sympathy here for something like that I hope it's after the local ASPCA has confiscated all of the animals in my care.

I realize this forum is for horse issues, but there is most definately a human side to think of when you reply to the posts.

Very well said.

I know some of the posts make people angry or sad but that is all part of a forum.

We used to have so many wonderful people on the forum.

They are gone now except for a handful that still lurks about.

Many are gone now for different reasons, but I know for a fact that some are just are scared to post things for fear of getting laughed at or hollered at.

I keep saying that you must remember that behind this screen is a living breathing heart beating person with feelings. We do not know the truth about their real lives. You can be speaking to an abused child, or a person that has no one to love except for their animal, or a battered wife that knows she is going to be beaten later on tonite.

For God's sakes have some compassion.

Marty ,

You of all people on here do speak from the heart and have compassion..You are one of the great members of this forum ...Everyone has to realize that is two sides to every coin...If there is something posted that upsets me , I will say my opinion but that is all it is is an opinion...

Thank you to all the truley great ppl that are on this forum ..There are very knowledgable ppl here that do help...

Are you kidding me? Sorry some of you are so sensitive... When you come onto a forum full of animal lovers and some animal rights people, asking for sympathy because you have to sell a horse that you can no longer handle because you neglected it and caused it copious amounts of pain, you can't expect not to get lit on fire. Some of you read these "hot" posts that ask for sympathy, and tend to only look at the stuff that is so horrible in the persons life. You ignore all the stupid things the person has done to cause the situation that they are asking for sympathy about. Even if the stupid things out number the "horrible life things" one hundred to one. Sure I've made mistakes, nothing that has caused my horse to look at me and go "heck no, get away from me you F-ing idiot."

What if I came onto this forum after my mini had been killed by a big horse and now a rescue organization was investigating my horses and was trying to take them away(because of course this is not the first things they've heard about me)? I explained the reason for them being together is that my family is poor and cannot afford separate fencing. Also, I am just under so much stress with my life, that other things(such as my animals welfare) just aren't top priority in my life right now. Say my father is dead, I live with my aunt, my mother is a drug addict, and I'm only 13 with one arm. I did happen to notice that the big horses kept kicking at the little one, and had even given him a fracture in his leg one time before, but I haven't had horses all that long and I didn't know it was dangerous
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Not to mention I have twenty horses and board a few at my house for others too. I was as sweet as pie and begged and pleaded for someone to "help" me, because I "love" my horses and don't deserve to have them taken away. If you read that post, which side would you go with? The poor uneducated one armed thirteen year old, or the poor horses that she had "collected"? My story is farfetched, but if you collect others "stories" and put all the little bits and pieces the people have posted, their stories sound a lot like this one. Which makes you wonder if they are telling the truth, or just trying to start drama?

Mary Lou, please don't feel you should have to go around deleting every post that someone may find a reason to get nasty with. Everyone has a right to express their opinion much as I have done. I just get tired of seeing so many people leave the forum or threaten too because of the way a few choose to use it. This place is and should be kept as a wonderful tool to learn from. I just hate to see people hurting and honestly, there has been a lot of people who have been verbally (or typographically -
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png
abused on here lately) While it is great that some people are very strong and can take the harsh attitudes, there are others who for whatever reason are more sensitive. Some have a hard time with learning, some have a hard time with physical issues and some may be somewhat fragile in mind (Lord knows I am :bgrin ) so it does no good to be hurtful if you have no idea what truly happens in that person's daily life (or has happened to them in the past) They are obviously trying to do something positive in their life and have chosen the the beautiful creature the horse to help them on their journey and they are looking for guidance from those of us who have traveled on this journey before them. Yeah that sounded goofy, but you know what I am saying. Expressing a negative opinion should be allowed so we can all decide which side of the fence we want to land on, but out right attacking should be strongly discouraged. I know we have been bitten on here before by wild stories, but if someone doesn't believe a story, then why bother to post at all. And if you think someone was completely wrong in what they did, then say so and be done, don't continue to beat them down. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

CvReAgZaYn, you hit the nail on the head and got a giggle out of me, too... but I really think your fictional 13 y.o. should also be married to a wife beater.
default_wink.png
:

I am choosing to stay out of this one!!

Gage

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget spottedponygirl, Gage... and no, I suppose there isn't much holding that girl back from becoming a vet except maybe her inability to spell?
default_smile.png
I'm sorry the truth hurts.

I never said anything about her becoming a vet, perhaps I'll "sit on my hands" with that opinion(funny, because it is the mildest one I have). You should not own any animal until you have been taught how to care for them properly(or at least done thorough research). You should never buy an animal without knowing anything and then think you can learn through your mistakes without having ill effects on the animal. And you especially can't expect me to hold my tounge about how stupid that is. Yes, I have made mistakes, but petty ones. You want to know why? Not because I'm "perfect" but because I've been around horses my whole life, and didn't venture into horse ownership until after I had taken serious lessons for about five years, helped out at stables to see how things went, read many many books, talked to people about whether I was ready for horse ownership, and many other things. I made SURE that I was prepared to own such a creature just because I CARED enough so that I wouldn't do something like that. Even if I broke my leg tomorrow, and smashed it up horribly, causing me to be in the hospital for a month or two, the FIRST thing I would think of is my horses. I would be asking for paper and a pen so that I could write out specific instructions for every horse. The fact that this girl KNEW she was going to have surgery(I'm assuming she knew, unless it was a "tragic" accident.) makes it even worse. She had time to plan out what would happen for her horses, and she had time to make sure the people knew. Perhaps the fault does lie on the temporary caretakers shoulders, but seeing as how this girl said it was her fault, I'm guessing not.

Oh for Pete's sake, knock it off. :no: You guys are getting nasty and gosh forbid you should ever find the shoe on the other foot. Geez.

And you all KNOW I usually keep my mouth shut on this stuff! But seriously. To take a post about how people are being nasty and prove them right so thoroughly...wow. I'm not talking about the halter issue particularly. I'm talking about a complete lack of tact and discretion in how you choose to phrase things. Would you say this stuff to someone's face? You might, but you'd only be proving who the jerk is. Feel free, fire away. :new_2gunsfiring_v1: I'm going to stand up for good manners and pride. I have some, and I refuse to see this forum lowered to the level of petty sniping without pointing out that the only one you're lowering my opinion of is yourself. :nono:

Most people on here (including me) only look flawless because we've hidden our mistakes, afraid to mention them lest the Pony Police flame us and toss us out on our scorched ears.
default_unsure.png
: The privilege of the internet, you know. To become whatever you want to be instead of who you are. Those who admit to mistakes are being brave enough to be vulnerable- it would become you to be brave enough to show compassion instead of a teenage pack mentality.

That's not touchy-feely-don't-tell-them-they're-wrong. That's being an adult.

Leia

Leia my buddy, you are wise beyond your years
default_wub.png
: I have NEVER met anyone who didn't do something incredibly stupid at least once while learning about animal care, myself included. Those who claim otherwise are either liars or lucky nothing came of it.

Yes, I would give my opinions to someones face. If someone was trying to get sympathy from me in person from doing a thing such a leaving a halter on for a long time, I would not give it. I would tell them to their face it is their fault. Depending on how they responded is when I would decide whether I would get snippy or not. If they started whining and said all the horrible things in their life, I would then state out the facts that I have presented about this "case." I do not have a high tolerance for people, in my short time here I've seen and experienced things that most never do, or don't until they are much older. Perhaps it has "soured" me on humans, but I think it has just made me more intelligent, wiser, and mature beyond my years. Perhaps some of you do not see animals the way I do, you just see them as pets, no more no less. They have no feelings, it doesn't matter if someone makes a "mistake" to their disadvantage. If those people have a hint of stress in their life and they injure their animal, then the human is at not fault what-so-ever, simply because it is only an "animal," and the person had "things going on." Does voicing my opinions make me have bad manners? Maybe. I'm certainly not going to hold them in just because it makes me "look bad." I'm not one to turn a blind eye to any sort of animal mistreatment in the sake of manners. I am not in the "teenage pack mentality," I am in the minority group. There are only a few of us sticking up for the animal, all the rest are going "Oh, I'm so sorry you have to sell your horse because that happened. You've had such a hard time so far, you don't deserve this." Hmm, showing passion will be becoming of me. I was once told by a teacher that writing homework assignments on my palm was unbecoming, I guess I'm just a rebel.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I feel that perhaps my original comments were harsh and derogatory, and can see where others are coming from, hence when it went away, I didn't re-post it word for word, but though about it, and wrote what I did.

I am the first to show my own mistakes, my own downfalls, and the first to beat myself up. And I have made/almost made a few bigges which were either caught in time/or dealt with quickly.

Though I try also to be first to help someone up off their feet when true life gets nasty ( Geese would be an example that most of you would be familar with), I need to look at Marty's side of things more though.

Perhaps you are right, maybe those of us whose lives truly have been h#!! for deal with things better. I know the things that happened to me in childhood have made me incredibly strong, but I still get stressed out and make mistakes.

Again, I just do not let that affect my animals care. By her own words in her past posts she has had minis for a bit, foaled out mares, and is about 18/19. By that age I already had my business going full swing, and had a whole bunch going on personally that I would Not let affect me.

I think that I may be one that those of you who are throwing around the "they think they are holier then thou" things directed at...

Nope, I am sure not, but I do my homework elsewhere, and when something is big enough to say on here, "hey check this out, this happened and now look at the consequences, " I will/have

But, quite frankly I have a close knit goup of friends, two of which are vets, that my questions go towards first, and if I ever did something of that kind of collasal #^&A$(%^@& I would have my animals taken away somehow BY MY OWN FRIENDS. Because the Animals come first. Always. Will I make future mistakes, I am certian, Will I be upset and tlak to my friends/vet etc, yup to that to.

So yes, I will give my opinions, and yes, I would say it to their face. However rude and in your face is not what I am going for, and I do say a heartfelt "I am sorry" to those who feel that pointing out what is the bright as day facts is rude and improper. I am not trying to spoil anyone's party here, or step on older and longer forum members. I am sure I will mess up in life, I do it almost constantly, but I do not run on here and say poor me.

I am a barn owner, trainer, and most of all an animal lover....

I am used to seeing this and hearing it. I am also used to telling it like it is.

Young ladies with emotional problems abound in my barn, they will tell you that I am the first to chew them out for something dumb, (Like blanketing in 75 degree weather, or wrapping incorrectly) and also the first to help them.

It's how we learn, you don't touch the hot stove and get a slight tingle, so you never do it again... No, you get the Crap burned out of you, and you darn well will Never touch a hot stove again. (Or black iron in my case!
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

ML if I need to go sit in time out, let me know, I do Not want to be responsible for people flouncing off because I stated my opinion, and I kinda wish the topic was never started either...

Hehe, know it all, hehe :lol: I know I come off as that, and might be in that "teenager" phase of knowing it all, but if someone that I know for sure is more experienced and knowledgeable and I respect their views, of course I'm going to listen to them. I'm just not willing to listen to someone about animal rights views and the views I have on humans(Meaning I'm not willing to listen to people that say humans are superior, or have views such as that, those with "good" views I'm all for listening
default_wink.png
: ), because that has nothing to do with experience, it is truly just a personal opinion. Perhaps if everyone disregarded the opinion of teenagers, then this thread might not have been opened(although I was not the only one with that type of opinion.) I love my opinions being considered rubbish just because of my age, :lol:

Latest posts

Back