I thought this was interesting...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know nothing about what the rulebook says, or what judges are looking for in roadster, but I have a question.

It has always been my impression that the goal is to show them like harness racers (ie Standardbreds). If this is the case, why would you want the horse checked up high with a lot of action? Yes, harness racers are driven with checks, but they are not checked up high, they need to be able to use their necks a bit to move out, and they don't want a trot with a lot of action, they look for a trot that covers ground, so why is it different in the minis?

I know the thread has moved way past the original topic and on to other issues, so maybe I am just misunderstanding, but I would be interested in hearing what is ideal for a roadster mini. Just trying to learn what is desired.

I don't know a whole lot about Standardbreds, but when we had them at our county fair, I asked one of the harness racers why they had them checked up so high, considering that in carriage driving we want the push to come from the hind end, and the way to do that is with their head "down". He said that they check them up like that so that they get air forced down their noses. The "bikes" they use are so lightweight that using their hind ends in the traditional sense was not necessary. Now, I have no idea if this guy really knew what he was talking about, or if it was just a bunch of bunk. The difference between how race horses are checked and Roadster classes is the racehorses are not trying to be "reined in" on the bottom with the running martingale. Otherwise, I have no idea what the "real" purpose of Roadster is, but Jessica is right, there isn't a whole lot that is the same otherwise. Maybe except the racing silks?

One thing I have noticed is with my mare I don't drive (ruined by a couple men, terrified of the cart). This mare can trot. We would put 5 of them in the arena and I would free lunge all of them at one time. Good ole Jasmine would kick into a trot but right when she did it she dropped her head, totally level and the other horses would have to canter to keep up with her trot. She is like a well oiled machine when she is trotting. But then she is also built just a little different from the rest. Boy does this girl have a butt on her. You can see the power coming from her back end as she just floats across the ground. I've always wondered how great it would have been to have her in harness just moving one not a care in the world.

Her sister also instantly drops her head, also has a big muscular butt. However there is just that little bit of difference in the way they move that she can't keep up with Jasmine at a trot. Never would I put a check on this girl. Even hooked to a roadster cart. If I could find the perfect trainer with the most gentle of hands and handling I might consider letting them attempt to get her hitched and comfy in cart again.

Blurry picture but you can see her trot and how she drops her head to get the momentum to just trot on.

Jasminetrotting.jpg

I'm not sure in breed ring shows, that they necessarily are going for "Standardbred-like" form. They are looking for the form of Pleasure or Harness horses, but with speed. They have this class for several breeds.

Here is a Friesian roadster (by the way, I LOVE that they always have huge-wheeled carts and their road silks are very "period" looking!!! It's one of my favorite classes to watch, and some Friesians can really move!!!)

scan9_700.jpg

Here are the Hackneys. If you really want to see a FAST flashy roadster horse, check out the Hackney road classes...

mainRoadster.gif

The Saddlebreds are fun to watch:

BigRed2.jpg

Of course my favorite, the Modern Shetland road ponies...

lolita05drivewin.jpg

Now... does anyone else know any other breeds that offer Roadster classes? I think you are going to find it is the big-moving breeds that offer the class. The point is to show a lot of action at speed, to show off that "turn it on" gait that some horses love to do. You won't find it in the Quarter Horse or the Appaloosa shows, or the Fjords.

So... while yes miniature horse breeding is trying to fit that "square peg" into the round peg at this time, selective breeding will eventually make a mini that is capable of truly working this form with the motion and neck set that is desired.

I have to say in the past ten years or so, they've gotten closer!

Andrea

I don't know a whole lot about Standardbreds, but when we had them at our county fair, I asked one of the harness racers why they had them checked up so high, considering that in carriage driving we want the push to come from the hind end, and the way to do that is with their head "down". He said that they check them up like that so that they get air forced down their noses. The "bikes" they use are so lightweight that using their hind ends in the traditional sense was not necessary. Now, I have no idea if this guy really knew what he was talking about, or if it was just a bunch of bunk. The difference between how race horses are checked and Roadster classes is the racehorses are not trying to be "reined in" on the bottom with the running martingale. Otherwise, I have no idea what the "real" purpose of Roadster is, but Jessica is right, there isn't a whole lot that is the same otherwise. Maybe except the racing silks?
I don't think he was "putting you on" about why they check up as I asked at a race and got the same answer. The guy told me if they weren't checked they'd lower their heads to a point where they couldn't get enough air and would "run out of steam" before the finish. If you think about it many horses will lower their heads before breaking into a canter. Since they want to keep them trotting and avoid a canter they want to keep the head up so the front is free to move.

Now... does anyone else know any other breeds that offer Roadster classes? I think you are going to find it is the big-moving breeds that offer the class. The point is to show a lot of action at speed, to show off that "turn it on" gait that some horses love to do. You won't find it in the Quarter Horse or the Appaloosa shows, or the Fjords.So... while yes miniature horse breeding is trying to fit that "square peg" into the round peg at this time, selective breeding will eventually make a mini that is capable of truly working this form with the motion and neck set that is desired.

I have to say in the past ten years or so, they've gotten closer!

Andrea

The Morgans have a nice roadster division, Andrea.

Yes, Morgans offer a roadster division, and there are some really nice Morgan roadsters out there. Through the decades Morgans have always been road horses--there's nothing like a good old fashioned trotting race down a country road!
default_laugh.png
We used to road race a lot, even with our riding horses (Morgans)--my Shad could out trot any horse we ever encountered, except for one of our own geldings--Mom's Sunny could best him, and look like he wasn't even trying.

It was funny with Shad, because he didn't look like he could trot--but point him down the road with another horse beside him, and he'd drop his head down to balance on the bit and when that head went down his legs shifted into overdrive. It honestly was like he slipped into another gear, and he'd just FLY. There would have been absolutely no point in trying to get him to trot with his head in the checked up position, because that wasn't the way he trotted.

Sunny, on the other hand, would fly along at the trot with his head up--he could have been checked up & still trotted out.

I think that's some of the trouble with Mini roadsters--people don't think about the horse's conformation, they just decide that they're going to do roadster & check the horse up in the proper style, without considering that if the horse's conformation and way of going is not suited to being checked up high, it's going to be extremely uncomfortable and difficult for the horse. That's why some horses start wheezing and run out of air, while others do okay when they are all checked up.

Latest posts

Back