I Think Our Mini is Quite Prego. What Do You Think?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklingjewelacres

Reaction score
We purchased two minis about 3 months ago. They were exposed to a stallion and there was a possibility that we bought two pregnant mares. The chestnut one was also quite chubby when we bought her and the silver bay was of a good nice weight but we really were not sure if either are pregnant. I put the chestnut on a diet and her bottom got smaller and her belly became bigger. Both horses have had complete physicals and clean fecal samples and were well cared for prior to coming to us. Here is a picture of our Chestnut, Jewel that I am quite sure now is pregnant as I am sure I felt a baby kick on her right side. My question is how far along some of you might think she is. She is not bagging up and ironically the little silver bay that is way smaller in belly(not looking prego) almost seems to be bagging up. I think now.. oh she may be pregnant too. Pictures below are only of our chestnut. I will get more of the silver bay later. (The last picture was taken about a month ago. 12/1/12 and the first 3 were taken on 1/3/1213

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of our Silver Bay(Sparkles) right after we bought her at about 3 months ago in October in first photo. I at first was not thinking that she was pregnant but now am wondering if she might be also since her bag udder is feeling a bit full. The vet came right after we bought them and was not able to tell for sure it either were pregnant but thought possibly our Chestnut was. The other photo of our silver Bay is of her in her shaggy winter coat taken just this past week (Jan 3, 2013) We have moved them completely off of any pasture as I have no idea what kind of grass (fescue) is down our hill pasture and I don't want them eating any more of that for now.

lilsparkles.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

From your pictures it is not easy to tell - Jewel looks as though she could be in foal, not sure about Sparkles as her winter coat could be making her tummy look bigger.

Could you tell us a little more - how old are they and have they had any foals before (some broodmares can seem to be developing an udder when they get overweight!)

I'm not sure how you can find out if you have the 'dangerous' fescue in your paddock (we dont have this problem here in the UK), but I do know that to suddenly change your girl's diets is not a good thing especially if they are pregnant.

May I ask that you consider joining us regulars on the Mare and Foal forum here on LB - lots of experienced folk will be willing to answer any questions to help you get two healthy babies safely on the ground if your girls are pregnant.
default_yes.gif

Your mini mares are beautiful! The chestnut looks preggo not so sure on the silver bay but if she is a maiden may not be as noticable. Keeps us updated and thanks for sharing pics of them!

Castle Rock took the words out of my mouth. The rich color of your chestnut mare is beautiful! Background info helps. You can try doing a wee foal test, but the results aren't always clear. Maidens can really hide their baby bellies, not sure if they are maidens or not, but some food for thought.

Oh thank you so much for all your wonderful encouraging comments. Both of these girls are 7 years old. They came out of a retired ranch in Oregon. (Not the rescue ranch area) as they were from I believe some fairly responsible breeders. Unfortunately we do not know much about them as the horses ended up with the people's trainer before she then sold them to us. I know for certain that Jewel, (Chestnut) has kidded at least 2 times and both horses are registered but we do not have those papers. They were in with the stallion freely up until we purchased them in Oct. 2012. Sparkles had an terrible tooth issue that was bad enough that she had trouble eating when she came to us. We got her teeth floated and the snaggle tooth taken care of. Jewel came to us with a terrible colic situation and the vet ended up checking her over .. took blood samples and stool samples- all of which came back fine. He gave us Bio- sponge to help clear up her tummy issues and she has not had any more issues. It must have been the travel time and stress of getting to our home. We have slowly taken them off of the grass pasture area. The (bad) Fescue evidently does grow all around this area where we are at so until I know more and until our planted pasture grows out a bit.. we have them weaned off the grass for now.

I am seeing Jewel get bigger and lower in the belly more and more. Sparkles could be pregnant which concerns me as I had her teeth floated with anesthesia not thinking that she was pregnant. If she is I know she could not be less than 3-4 months along.

We do have so many questions and will come to this site more.

We do have a vet coming out again on Monday to help us with vaccinations which has me nervous since I do not know how far they are in pregnancy and it is hard for me to trust a new vet. We are reading up on this as much as we can.

Thank you. and any comments or help are greatly encouraged. Tomorrow we are buying some new horse clippers for May trims.

Oh and about Sparkles,

Because her hair is so thick.. It is very hard for me to feel her for her weight but I think she is on the thin side. I have no knowledge if she has ever foaled before but I expect that she has as she came from a ranch that bred mini's. Both of these horses were cared for but not trained considerably but more like ... out in a pasture. Here at our house.. there night time pen and shelter barn is right by our room window a few yards away. I tried to get more information on these little horses but could not. Perhaps I can look up their names in a registry.

Both girls are adorable! I am completely in love with Jewel, what a gorgeous deep chestnut and her little face is just so precious! Look forward to you joining us on the Mare and foal forum. Welcome to the wonderful world of minis
default_yes.gif

If you know their registered names, someone might be kind enough and have the time to look up more information for you.

Diane,

Thank you so much for that offer. I am not sure of their registered names. They came with names of Jewel and Sparkles. When I inquired more, the woman who had them before me didnt know but told me that they were registered out of a retiring ranch from Eugene, Oregon. I am not even sure of the ranch name they came from.

I also am excited to post more pictures in the Mare/Foal forum soon.

You can always do some detective work and search on the web for Miniature Horse farms in Eugene Oregon and email and ask if they know these horses. It's a chance to find out. Seems to be quite a few breeders in Oregon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.. I have been doing some investigating on what little info i have on these horses. The little Bay horse .. she is a mystery but did come out of the same ranch as Jewel at which I was told was a retired ranch called Foxglove Miniatures out of Oregon.The trainer that ended up with these horses (Meridian Training Center) only had them a few days before selling them to me and knows a lot about horses and does very well. The picture she emailed me of Jewels last colt has the name: Foxglove Jupiters Conquest and this colt's dam registered name was: Aaprinas in Rowdys Jupiter Mist. So how that name became the name Jewel.. I don't know but Jewel is what we call her. So if the photo is really Jewel's colt and her name really is the registered name here mentioned.. that is about all the info I can find out on her. It is unknown about little bay sparkles if she ever had any offspring or even if she is now bred.

Latest posts

Back