I think it is working...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniapp

Reaction score
Ok... this has been a challenge for me as I have never had a tail quite so stained before.. (nor as resistant to anything that I have tried to do to bring it back to white...
default_wacko.png
: ) well... my deepest thanks to the folks who recommended using Wisk laundry detergent... (carefully.... :bgrin ) because I believe it is working... :aktion033: Just so I believe that I am not just seeing this to make me feel better.. I thought I would post the last three days of work on Irish's tail for all of you to be the judges.. let me know what you think...

Before..

ef62fab9.jpg

And today... (3 days of using Wisk, then washing thoroughly and deep conditioning it)

ef574398.jpg

I know I am not out of the woods yet... (and her first show is on the 29th...) but I REALLY hope that I am not seeing just what I want to see....
default_wink.png
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

It looks whiter to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

She is SO pretty. I can't wait until she comes to my house to live. :bgrin :lol:
default_wink.png
: :aktion033: (JK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Liz

we use tide with bleach for white tails but then you have to really condition it. Also for ones that just wont get totally white i use shapelys white touch up spray
default_smile.png
works great for tails or back legs on pintos

Oh Suzy that tail was soo stained! I got a suggestion f or you Ivory hand soap! It workes on Chief tail!

RNR

Looks whiter to me too - man, her tail is stained!!! Thank heavens my only one here with a white tail at this time is the stallion, so it's not so bad!!!

Looking good, definitely whiter. Glad the Wisk is working. [the tip was given to me by my boss/mentor at the Arabian ranch I work for while in college - lots of greys with white tails].

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes, her tail was REALLY stained... and I should have kept on top of it over the winter..
default_unsure.png
: I ordinarily would not have aired my "dirty laundry" (pun intended... LOL!) here on the Forum, but after 30 years of training and showing at a National level and "thinking" that I had encountered most of the issues in grooming that I would face, she really stumped me!
default_wacko.png
: See, the old adage.. "you never stop learning" really IS true!! :bgrin

I know how drying this is to her tail, so we are REALLY deep conditioning and moisturing everyday at this point.. (a good deep conditioner and Healthy Hair, which I have used for years...) so her tail is not in any danger of breaking...
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks again...

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

It looks alot better.
default_yes.gif
:

I have a mare like that too. Am working on getting her tail white again..goodness it is taking a long time.

It does look better. There is no doubt now that her tail is white all the way down.

Looks Better take some White N Bright To It And Chapleys White Touch Up Spray :bgrin Itll Do The Trick!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
: Pretty Mare!

WOW Suzy...Irish is STUNNING! Haven't seen her since she was a weaner at Nationals and WOWZA she's matured into pretty young lady!

Yup, the tail looks whiter to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Felicia

The difference is really amazing, but you still have a ways to go. I wonder if it will ever be the white it's meant to be? I'm having the same problem! Two of my horses have terribly-stained white tails and I was looking in a store for products which might help. I came across something called "Rust Out" and another product called "Iron Out" which are supposed to remove rust or iron stains from fabrics. I'm just a bit scared to try them on a horse's tail, but I was thinking of calling the company to see if it might work.

My trainer sort of ties the horses' tails up when it's especially wet and muddy out, and she's careful to not compromise the tailbone when she does this. She simply puts the ends of the white tails in a tail bag and then sort of folds it in half, upwards, and clips it to itself.

The difference is really amazing, but you still have a ways to go. I wonder if it will ever be the white it's meant to be? I'm having the same problem! Two of my horses have terribly-stained white tails and I was looking in a store for products which might help. I came across something called "Rust Out" and another product called "Iron Out" which are supposed to remove rust or iron stains from fabrics. I'm just a bit scared to try them on a horse's tail, but I was thinking of calling the company to see if it might work.

My trainer sort of ties the horses' tails up when it's especially wet and muddy out, and she's careful to not compromise the tailbone when she does this. She simply puts the ends of the white tails in a tail bag and then sort of folds it in half, upwards, and clips it to itself.

Well... her tail is going to be white again SOMETIME... or I will die trying...LOL!!! I always put tails up on the training horses... but this is one of mine... and you know how that goes...
default_rolleyes.gif
: (the shoers horses are always the last to get trimmed, the trainers horses... well, you get the picture...
default_wink.png
: ) I will be putting Shapleys on it to even the color out... but I am glad that I am not seeing things when I thought her tail was whiter...
default_yes.gif
:

Hey Felicia... yep, that is pretty Irish! Janie was like... :new_shocked: when I clipped her out.. I thought she was going to have a heart attack... LOL! :lol:

Thanks again everyone..

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Latest posts

Back