I said I was going to do and the time has come to bite the bullet!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doobie

Reaction score
Well for those who dont know me... and there are alot of you!

I have been fighting the weight problem for years...

After years of pills and diets and the good old 'its who I am so live with it'....

My son made me a Grandmother!

Well! so much for the 'its my life'! I took one look at my amazing grand-daughter and realized I want to be alive to she her children too.

So I made some appointments.. even went to them! And now the time has come.

My surgery date is Tuesday Novemeber 10! I have four days left!!!

No going back now! ... well I guess I could but in my heart of hearts I dont want too.

So why you ask am I posting this here???

Other than family I dont really have anyone close. My BF lives 8 hours away and thinks I live in the North Pole!

Plus I thought maybe I could help myself and others if I made a point of showing what I go through and how it ends.

The surgery to me is nothing ... its the change after that scares me.

I can even live with the 6 meals a day! lol ... its the stopping life to eat those six meals a day!

I have always been one of those people who go the whole day without eating ... get too busy...

If anyone is interested I will happly post how it goes.

If not just please take the time to give me a little thought of encouragment .... can use all I can get!
default_wub.png

I too have always battled weight problems, so I wish you the best of luck with the operation and the results that follow. I'll be thinking of you, and please do post updates!

Good thoughts to you as you go in for your surgery. You have so much to look forward to when you come out as far as your little ones go. I have a friend who went thru bariatric surgery months ago...she looks amazing now! She is able to do so many things now she had not been able to do in years. Even get off some of the meds she was on. She says the new change of life in her eating habits takes some getting used to, but with all things...you are changing your life and old habits. She's giving it her all and she is very happy. Good luck to you...please let us know how you fare.

My cousin just went through the surgery and is doing wonderfully. She has started a special blog where she talks about the surgery and her exercise plan as well as meals that she makes for one. It's an awesome blog that she started to help others go through this tough time. http://thecurvylife.blogspot.com/2009/11/l...ed-forward.html This is her most recent entry. I'm sure if you had questions she would be more then happy to answer them.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Good luck with the surgery, Deb! You certainly have my good thoughts and prayers of support. Now you'll definitely have to wear a name tag next time I see you! I hardly recognized you in August after you'd lost some weight and changed your hair! LOL!!

My mom has a weight problem, she has all of her life, and the rest of the family just accepts it , for the most part. Recently, her knees went out, and she had to have them replaced, then both hips, those too were replaced. We hear everyday the pain and unhappyness in her , but she cant understand that she would feel a lot better if she lost some weight. She visited me for the first time in switzerland... the trip was hard on her,once she got here she couldnt do very much , because she is out of shape , and never walks, other than to a car. There was so much I wanted to share with her, but couldnt . I took my dad hiking to the Capellas in the mountains ,to castles, and where they still make cheese in the mountains , but felt guilty that my mom couldnt go too.I am really glad you are doing this for you and for your kids, you deserve it , you are worth it , and your kids , grandkids will love having a grandma they can play with. Its going to be great for you !
default_smile.png

Oh sis! I'm so excited and happy for you!!!! I know what you mean about the "Ack can I get used to all those lil meals!" I only eat once a day (if I don't forget) Having to eat all the time would be hard to get used to. But I know you'll do it!

My whole family is big. Always have been. The only thin ones are the ones that had the operation. I've always wanted to have it but lack the money. Wish I could join you!

You'll do great! And I'll look forward to your next visit and I'll try not to snap my skinny Sis when I hug you! No more CHEESE!

default_laugh.png

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Good for you! I too am going through the process towards surgery. My insurance insists on a six month physician supervised diet first, so I can't have my surgery until April at the earliest. I am going to have the gastric sleeve, the only one my surgeon will do on me because of my low blood platelet problem.

Many people think this is taking the easy way out, but it is not easy at all. It is a tool, but you still have a lot of work to do.

Best of luck, and post your progress here.

If you are interested, I am on a forum for weight loss. LOADS of advice from those who have been there done that and are at all stages pre and post surgery. Just let me know and I will send it to you. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you on Tuesday!

Krissy, if you can, get your mom to read "The Expert's Guide To Weight Loss Surgery" by Garth Davis, MD. Wonderful book, explains everything clearly including why diet and exercise alone fails 95% of the time for people who are obese. There is an actual hormonal component to the situation that makes it almost impossible to do it without surgery.

Maybe, if she is internet savvy at all she could go on that forum as well. If she won't do it, maybe you could to become better informed to help her.

I have known people that have had the surgery. All goes well at first. But, you really have to change your life for it to work long term. To me it would be too painful to not stick with it. I lost weight by having my jaw wired. I lost down to a size 3. I kept it off for years. However, I have now hit a new high. Problem is now I have a neck problem that keeps me from excersizing. I did a bit of work on my stalls and am now paying for it. I can't hardly walk and everyone expects me to do all I normally do. Ain't happenin'.Good luck and remember we are all behind you.

Good luck! My boss used to run the unit in our town before it moved and my mom used to work with her. I LOVED looking at the before and after photos. How exciting! Cary a picture of your new grand baby with you. You can do it!

I commend you for taking the steps to do this. Weight is a huge factor in your overall health, as you well know. You willl not only be able to play with the new grandbaby but, will feel SO MUCH better for yourself on an everyday basis that it will be amazing to you!

Just think like a horse and you can "graze" throughout the day.
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif
Be sure to pay attention to WHAT you eat in those meals, that is key to your feeling satisfied and remaining healthy during this long process. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

GO GIRL !

A big contributor to weight gain is the eating one meal a day. When you do that you are training your body to react to food in a feast or famine mode. If your body has had to go all day without eating and then you eat one large meal it will store everything it can ready for the next famine stage. You're actually training your body to store as much fat as it can. Our metabolisms work way better when we constantly graze. In fact taken to the extreme the only good reason to have a "meal" is to sit down with family and visit. Picture our close relatives the chimps...they dont go out and prepare large meals...they wander around all day picking on insects, a nice tasty ant, berries and leaves I've never seen an obese chimp and apart from everyday play and social activities they certainly don't don their Asics Gels and go jogging etc I believe it's how they eat that maintains their weight.

I know you may be a little nervous of the surgery but after it's all done...just the fact that you'll be eating little and often will make your entire system function much better. You're going to feel great.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
default_smile.png

[SIZE=10pt]Best of luck to you Doobie! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, and I would love to hear of your progress.[/SIZE]

I'm also a new "Nana" and in the past have always thought the sameway as you, "I am what I am, live with it".

From the moment I first held my grand-daughter I knew I had to make some changes if I wanted to be around to see her graduate college and get married. Well, Ariana is now 18 months, and has me wrapped around her little finger, and I have yet to lose a single pound.

Oh well, maybe it's not meant to be. I've thought about surgery NUMEROUS times, and have researched it at length, but my insurance does not cover it, and it will never be within our budget until we win the lottery!

But in the meantime I will gladly cheer you on!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

This is a good website:

www.obesityhelp.com

I am betting everything is going to go great!!! BUT you DO live in the north pole!! LOL Can't wait to see you after surgery! Keep me posted!

Latest posts

Back