I need to know...has anyone ever had this happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My girlfriend used to carry her yearling in the backseat to go to nursing homes. Once she got caught in traffic because of an accident and after sitting in her car with "George" for about 30 min a guy knocked on her window and wanted to know what sort of dog she had cause he and his wife couldn't figure it out and they had been sitting in the car behind her. When she told him it was a horse, he looked closer and then wrinkled his nose up and said it smelled like one too. His wife had to come look then too and so did several other people in the traffic jam. They were there about 90 min.

We have heard all the "what are those Sheep?" comments about our horses.

The funniest story came with our Charolais cattle (they are large white beef cattle) at our county fair. They have one day where all the schools can come free for ag education. About 3000 show up with lots of chaprones. This one 20ish 1st grade teacher had her class going by and pointed out "the cow that gives so much milk. see her big udder."

About 10 sec later a rather stout young man in her class looks and proclaims to all with in a 100yards "thats not a cow look at his balls!" :new_shocked: The little guy knows his cattle! :aktion033:

Nearly as funny was 2 of the mothers had to back up to get a peek! They giggled, then turned red when they realized the whole class was looking at them.
default_wub.png
: The teacher she kept right on walking never paid attention to anything that happened.

I don't want to pick on teachers here as most are very good and will ask if they do not know.

Mark

OK - I have a couple of funny stories.

We got a call one day that our white mini was loose and down at the neighbors (about 1/2 mile). My husband who does not keep up with our minis was in a panic. He had gone looking and it had disappeared by the time he got to the neighbors. When I got home and he told me what was happening - I explained we did not have any white minis anymore. About that time another neighbor called and asked if we had seen a big white goat (he had borrowed from a friend for the 4H kids to goat tie - apparently the goat was pretty wild). It had jumped out of trailer and ran. Well the entire area was on the look out and we kept getting calls that our white mini had beed spotted. Finally one day (about a week later) we were working in the office and all of the sudden we heard all of this commotion and low and behold this 100 lb white goat jumped into the office and on top of one of the desk and then onto the printer. Well Debbie (one of the customer service girls) about lost it - she is a city girl. I ran and shut the door and called the neighbor who actually was on his way and had been chasing the goat. The rest of us were in hysterics and trying to catch the goat who was jumping from desk to desk in the office. Finally two of us restled in down and the neighbor got there just in time to take him away. To say the least the office was a mess but "hey, thats life in the country".

The other one is that I have a mare who has the ugliest foals - but they turn out beauitful. They look like little moose. Extremely hairy faces and bodies and are the gruella color. And since we are so imaginative we have named two of the babies moose and ugly.

Happy Holidays !!!

i have a big sorrel paint riding mare, we were at the park and i heard a little kid say MOM LOOK AT THE COW. the most surprised looks i get is when i talk about my mini donkeys. people always say i didn't know donkeys came in different sizes!! even my dad didn't know... and people always ask how do you get a mini mule.... same way you get a big mule!! big donkey and big horse equals big mule... little donkey and little horse equals little mule...

city folk!! :no: :no:

The first time my parents came to see our minis (1999), my dad's jaw just dropped as the little turkeys were running from us and he said "they run just like horses!"

hahaha!!!!

I've had people ask me the following questions and make the following comments:

do you train them like horses?

can you feed them horse food?

they sound just like real horses!

look, their poop is even like a real horses poop!

Um, yeah... they are horses, how hard is that to understand?

I've never had anyone confuse my mini for something else, but I did once have a guy pull in my yard in the dead of winter and ask where I got that massive hog, because he'd never seen a pig that big and that hairy before. He was looking at my shetland pony. I have to admit, he did look fairly pig like in all that winter hair. I also had someone ask why I had my highland cow dehorned, again they were looking at my shetland in his winter coat.

Oh guys, I hadn't been back to read this topic for a bit but you keep me laughing so hard. And Jill, I can only imagine what a non-horsey person thinks is a good photo. She tried though but I can picture you running around like crazy trying to find those photos quick when she is on her way over! :lol: Great mental picture and you're right, I can imagine Liz hasn't taken any true butt shots that compare to your SIL's. :bgrin

We have a man and his wife working at our house building a new carport, and they both love to come and do work here since they love our little ones. He has had big horses in the past, but one time while here we were out front talking and he told me what happened. Earlier that day while he was trying to unload his trailer he had to back up and go into the gate where we had 5 mini's. The three closer ones he put up in the barn but the other two were far enough away (he thought :bgrin ) to go ahead and get this part over quick, open gate, back thru halfway, unload onto the rafters of the carport, and exit. Simple. :lol: He wasn't too worried since our whole property is fenced in. You guessed it as soon as he was up unloading those two that were far enough away spot the open gate and out they go! He was telling me about catching them and putting them back up, he said,"You know, they are just like real horses" :risa_suelos: I just grinned, and he said,"Well I guess they are, aren't they?"

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW....I truely love these stories...When I got into minis a few years ago my mom had never seen a mini before and I told her one day to come out to the stables to see Millie and she was like ok...but what am i coming out to see again? I said you will see when you get here. She got there and I said mom meet Millie the newest member of our family...her jaw dropped and she was like you bought a donkey...why would u buy a donkey?? lol....i was like ummm mom its a mini horse...she was like so she eats and poops like a horse though right?? I was laughing so hard...

when i first got here to KY Millie was transported here by a huge equine transpotation company...well we didnt have a place for her at the time so she got unloaded at my dads house...so low and behold here comes this huge like 8 horse stock trailer pulling into my dads neighborhood. I heard the neighbor's saying hmmmm what kind of car did they get...LOL...and out trots millie out the side door and neighs and pees in their yard...it was sooo funny..they had to come and check her out..they were like wow thats a horse just alil one...hehe...

i think thats all i have for right now...keep them coming i love reading them

I love it when people ask "Do they eat the same thing a REAL horse does??" Ya huh !!!

Two years ago I had a tiny late foal that was born with a curly winter coat. Everything on him was tiny tight curls, except for his face which was short haired and smooth. When I would show people around, I would point him out and tell folks that he was a sucessfull breeding between my mini stallion and a sheep!!!

You would not believe the many folk that believed me. I can keep a straight face and some of those people left thinking that had seen a miracle!

G

I love it when people ask "Do they eat the same thing a REAL horse does??" Ya huh !!!

Two years ago I had a tiny late foal that was born with a curly winter coat. Everything on him was tiny tight curls, except for his face which was short haired and smooth. When I would show people around, I would point him out and tell folks that he was a sucessfull breeding between my mini stallion and a sheep!!!

You would not believe the many folk that believed me. I can keep a straight face and some of those people left thinking that had seen a miracle!

G
:aktion033: :risa8: That would have been a fabulous answer to my husband's friend's comment!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to own a black pinto gelding and one year took him to our county fair for "display" in the barns and a little girl came by and said "Look Mommy, it's a cow!" :lol: This happened several years ago and my daughter, who was there, joked and laughed about it for a very long time after that!! :lol:
:lol: My neighbor's young son, when he was at the age where kids are learning to speak and identify animals, would point at Mercy and say "Cow!"

Not that Mercy minds... she was a cow in a costume class and my riding student Christine was the milkmaid. Now she's a junior at Cornell...I started teaching her to ride when she was 10.
default_yes.gif
:

That is too funny!

Denise

Silversong Farm

At 'every' parade we always get "Look at the donkeys" or "Are those donkeys?"

So I guess donkeys can be small...horses can't?

default_unsure.png
: City Folk!!!!

One of my good friends, who yes, has horses and is quite knowledgable, saw my first mini- a silver dapple appy from a distance and thought the neighbors goat was out again. I about wet my pants!

We cannot believe some of the comments/questions we have heard from "city people" who are attending their first Miniature Horse show. I had our 29" stallion in his stall at the show. He was wearing shipping boots/leg wraps to keep his white legs clean. One lady said to me, "Oh how did he break all four legs?" She thought he had casts on all legs from broken bones. LOL

I turned to her and said "you want to see a miracle happen?, he will be walking to the show ring in about 5 minutes." I got the strangest look from her, then I explained those were there to keep him clean and he DID NOT have broken legs. She was quite embarassed when she realized what the wraps were really for.

Latest posts

Back