I need to know...has anyone ever had this happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAM

Reaction score
The beautiful Mill Creek Valley~Prineville, OR
My husband's friend from college (also a dentist-maybe that says something right there
default_rolleyes.gif
default_smile.png
came to stay for two days. He lives on the coast which is 5+ hours away so we don't see him much. He came in, got the tour of our new house, then looked outside and said, "Oh, are those sheep?" Now, this guy grew up on a farm haying, etc. How does one confuse mini horses with sheep? I about died laughing. Ok, I conceded, I guess they do look like sheep in their winter woolies, albeit colorful ones. :lol: :risa_suelos:

What have your horses been confused as by neighbors, passerby, friends, etc? Let's hear it. I need a good laugh. :bgrin

I always think it is funny when I visit nursing homes and they at first thing they are dogs and then to see the light in their eyes when they realize what it is. One guy always says Giraff...but I think he is joking
default_smile.png

:new_shocked: I have one little mare that is colored exactly like a Haflinger, Bright chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail and a blaza. I had a man stop by one day and said" my wife and I are getting a divorce and I think thats my haflinger!" I said no it coulodnt be. He was all in a panic that his wife had sold his horse on him. I took him to the pasture and Poca came up and the closer she got, the redder his face got. He very sheepishly apologised. I thought it was hilariaious(sp) !!! :new_shocked:

:new_shocked: I have one little mare that is colored exactly like a Haflinger, Bright chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail and a blaza. I had a man stop by one day and said" my wife and I are getting a divorce and I think thats my haflinger!" I said no it coulodnt be. He was all in a panic that his wife had sold his horse on him. I took him to the pasture and Poca came up and the closer she got, the redder his face got. He very sheepishly apologised. I thought it was hilariaious(sp) !!! :new_shocked:
I would have loved to been there. I would have been laughing so hard
default_smile.png

I am SOOO glad your dentist friend thought they were sheep! My neighbor raises sheep and goats. He has been a farmer for YEARS. Last weekend he was telling us about a pasture he sees on the way to town that is full of minis. He thought they were so cute and was surprised they were all the same dark brown color. My husband and I looked at each other and were confused, since we don't know any other mini owners in the area. So we drove by. My neighbor was seeing a field of SHEEP! That is why they were all the same color. We laughed until we cried! You would think if you raised sheep and goats, you could tell the difference between them and minis!!! I think it is time my neighbor sees the eye doctor...
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I used to own a black pinto gelding and one year took him to our county fair for "display" in the barns and a little girl came by and said "Look Mommy, it's a cow!" :lol: This happened several years ago and my daughter, who was there, joked and laughed about it for a very long time after that!! :lol:

My mini filly last winter someone thought she was a highland calf. She did look like one though. :bgrin She was so hairy.

My husband tells me one of my minis looks like a buffalo. His face is so wooley I guess he does kind of look like one. His head is about 3 times normal size and the hair is longer under his chin.

:bgrin

It was a CALF!

We finally made the plunge and bought our very first mini (a black and white pinto filly). Then, we invited my father over for dinner. While he was there we told him we had a "new addition" and invited him out to see her.

He was 75 years old, needed a cane, but he walked down as the sun was setting......... He stopped half way there and turned to ask me....."What did you buy? A CALF???"

He was looking at a yearling black pinto mini filly as she waited at the gate for her dinner. :bgrin Of course, I was VERY insulted! :lol:

MA

We took our mini Justie with us trick or treating this year. She was part of my son's costume. He was Sir Peter from Narnia and Justie was dressed up like the lion Asland (?sp). Many people passing by said what a big dog or what a good dog to tolerate the costume..... Almost on cue 100% of the time Justie would then Whinny or Nicker or Snort. She set them all straight.... no dog.... just a very tolerate mini..... The suprised faces :eek: where worth a million :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

One year in the Christmas parade they put us behind the Drafts, and most of the observers seemed to think our grown minis were Draft babies. I heard one person trying to correct them though: "No. They're animatronic bears." And of course it was animatronic poop I was scooping as we went.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We used to live in northern IL, in Ringwood. I didn't have a hot walker then so to cool the horses out after their workout I'd walk them up and down the street......Ridgeway Road. More than once a car would go driving by...alwayys too fast....they would get past and come to a sudden stop and back up....."What kind of dog is that?" or "I thought that was a DOG!"

Sometimes thay had to get out of the car and pet the horse. Always made me laugh. :bgrin

Charlotte

LOL! Sometimes when I take a mini or two to petsmart, people think they're dogs until they pay attention to what it is they're looking at. But other than that, I can't think of anyone calling them something else... probably helps that I keep their face fuzzies short. I do tell people they look like yaks in their winter woolies.

Now, I have a pic hanging at work of one of my goats, and people have thought Twix is a llama or a kangaroo!!! Here's the pic:

034670da.jpg

e wnt to la once with our nare and filly and alot of people thought both of them where dogs some people almost crashed looking at them while we walked along. and a few people came out of there houses without pants on it was funny.

OK I have had it happen the other way round.

My neighbour had a small flock of black sheep and a man came to me all in a panic and said "come quick your little ponies are out on the playing fields."

Now I could see my horses from where I was and although I am the first to admit they are very good at looking innocent I knew they were, in fact, all there.

So I asked him what colour they were and he said they were all black.

I did not have any black horses at the time but as i turned the corner of the field there was my friends small flock of sheep!!

The man explained that without his glasses he would not have been able to tell what they were- they could have been buffalo for all he knew they just looked the right size!!!

It took my Shelties five minutes to round them up and the Dobe bitch two seconds to persuade them that jumping back into their paddock and staying there was a good option!!

just yesterday someone thought charm was a poodle.

yeah that was funny. and also i saw a pic in a magazine of a mountain goat. at first glance, i could have sworn it was charm.

once when i was walking ghost, soemone stopped in their car to look at her. i walked her up to the window of this old lady's car. she was like "what is that?" i said a mini. she was like "oooh right. a mini....what?!?!"

she thought she was some sort of mini elk or something lol.

great thread. :risa8:

The first time my parents came to see our minis (1999), my dad's jaw just dropped as the little turkeys were running from us and he said "they run just like horses!"

Then just another funny horse and mini thing. My sister in law means well, but she's not at all horsey. All our horses are "she's" to hear her tell it.

I took her for a pony ride once on my 15.1hh boy and I mean, I was leading the horse around the ring like she was a kid. Then she was afraid to get off him and she's taller than me (I'm 5'7"). She's hanging off one side of the saddle scared to jump down and nearly crying and her feet are not even far off the ground! She weighs quite a bit and I know Sky was wishing she'd get off his side.

Well, she and her family fed our horses once for us this summer and took a ton of pictures. Some of which she framed and gave to me. There's a framed picture of Sunny showing all except his head. A picture of DunIT with his head hidden in the hay cart, and a picture of Bacardi's butt. These may only be displayed when I know her family is coming over.

In other words, "Liz" as nothing to fear...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back