I need some information please...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
Yesterday we had a little chihuahua running loose at the school where I work. My mother also works there, and the custodian was going to call the humane society to come and pick him up. My mom ended up bringing him home instead. Honestly, I'm not a dog person (I prefer cats, although I do have two bigger outside dogs). I've always referred to chihuahuas as "rat dogs", and just never wanted one.
default_rolleyes.gif

We took him to our vet and had him scanned for a chip, but it came back with "no i.d.". We left our contact information incase someone called asking if someone had brought him in, and we called the humane society and gave them our information as well. We've also drove up and down the neighborhood where he was found, hoping we'd see someone out calling for him, or missing posters, I've searched on Craigslist in the community area, and we got the newspaper to see if there was a lost ad. So far, there's nothing! I have no idea how to care for him. I know someone is missing him because he is a really sweet, trained and spoiled little guy. But I don't know how else to get him home.

If we do end up keeping him, he'll be my mom's dog (hopefully, since I have three housecats) but he's attached himself to me for the time being. He follows me everywhere (at my side), and wants to be in my lap or on my chest constantly. If I leave my mom's house, he whines for me. I've kind of gotten attached to him, although I'm trying not to. He's laying on my side as I write this, at my house. He will NOT touch any form of dog/cat food, so I'm guessing that he was only fed table scraps. He won't eat bread or crackers, but loves bologne and hot dogs (he's very picky). I think he's pretty much house broken, but he's marked his territory in the house a couple times. He rode in the car wonderfully, and knows the words "no", "stay" and "come on".

I've noticed that he shakes non stop. Is that because he's cold? Or scared? Also, how much should he eat and how often? I know that they can have a lot of health problems, but I don't know much more than that. Any information you can give me would be great. He's so small, I'm scared that I'm gonna step on him.
default_sad.png

*Edited to add...he might be a miniature pincher instead of a chihuahua, or a mix?

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter got a Chi about 5 mos ago. We all love her to death and she loves all of us. We have 4 Jack Russells and a Golden too. They all love her. She is a whipper snapper, totally keeps up with the Jacks. We have to make sure she eats some good canned food. We also get her the Royal Canin chihuahua and she eats that. She is a begger and will eat any scraps but you have to make sure they eat real dog food.

Sounds to me like you are hooked. I never liked chi's either but life wouldn't be the same without Rosie now.

Yesterday we had a little chihuahua running loose at the school where I work. My mother also works there, and the custodian was going to call the humane society to come and pick him up. My mom ended up bringing him home instead. Honestly, I'm not a dog person (I prefer cats, although I do have two bigger outside dogs). I've always referred to chihuahuas as "rat dogs", and just never wanted one.
default_rolleyes.gif

We took him to our vet and had him scanned for a chip, but it came back with "no i.d.". We left our contact information incase someone called asking if someone had brought him in, and we called the humane society and gave them our information as well. We've also drove up and down the neighborhood where he was found, hoping we'd see someone out calling for him, or missing posters, I've searched on Craigslist in the community area, and we got the newspaper to see if there was a lost ad. So far, there's nothing! I have no idea how to care for him. I know someone is missing him because he is a really sweet, trained and spoiled little guy. But I don't know how else to get him home.

If we do end up keeping him, he'll be my mom's dog (hopefully, since I have three housecats) but he's attached himself to me for the time being. He follows me everywhere (at my side), and wants to be in my lap or on my chest constantly. If I leave my mom's house, he whines for me. I've kind of gotten attached to him, although I'm trying not to. He's laying on my side as I write this, at my house. He will NOT touch any form of dog/cat food, so I'm guessing that he was only fed table scraps. He won't eat bread or crackers, but loves bologne and hot dogs (he's very picky). I think he's pretty much house broken, but he's marked his territory in the house a couple times. He rode in the car wonderfully, and knows the words "no", "stay" and "come on".

I've noticed that he shakes non stop. Is that because he's cold? Or scared? Also, how much should he eat and how often? I know that they can have a lot of health problems, but I don't know much more than that. Any information you can give me would be great. He's so small, I'm scared that I'm gonna step on him.
default_sad.png

We have 18 Chihuahuas and most of them don't shiver. Some can have a tendency though especially smoothcoats, they need a blanket.

Our adult dogs eat twice a day, they get raw food chicken/bone and a herbal supplement mix.

They all have such different personalities, some will run up to little children in the park and are so friendly and others are aloof and bark at the slightest thing.

Thank you for your replies. He is soooo picky when it comes to food, that I am now cooking some chicken to see if he'll eat that, because he's tired of the bologne and hot dogs. I have no idea what his owners fed him, he just doesn't want to eat anything.
default_no.gif
He has stopped the shaking though, unless it's first thing in the morning or he gets really excited. His hair is so short, and he doesn't have any body fat, the poor thing.

My mom has decided that she doesn't want him. So it looks like if I can't find his owners, then he'll be mine.
default_rolleyes.gif
I think I'll call him Sparky, and he'll definately be getting "fixed" if he stays here!

teddy1.jpg

teddy2.jpg

teddy3.jpg

teddy4.jpg

You need to get him on a proper canine diet. When he gets hungry, he'll eat what you feed him. (ie. a nice dry specially formulated dog food for Toy breeds is great!) In the meantime, Chihuahuas are prone to hypoglaucemia, so get a tube of Nutri-Cal from the vet and give that to him a few times a day to ensure he doesn't "crash" while you wait for him to eat his meal. Put his food down, and if he does not eat in 10 minutes, pick it up and leave it up for 12 hours. Offer it again, and repeat until he finally accepts the fact that this will now be his source of food. My Dad had his two Toy Poodles spoiled so badly that they would not even eat most anything. He would feed bologna and weiners sliced up and run it under warm water in a strainer to heat ot for them!
default_wacko.png
Bad, BAD BAD habit to get into. Please start out right.

Some Chihuahuas shake, others don't, but it is something that is noted in the breed. Also, they are notorius for bad teeth and gums, so annual dental check-ups/work may be in order, and feeding wet or people food will make it worse...another + to feeding dry. He has ears like he could possbly also be mixed with a little Italian Greyhound, but it could also be that he just has weak ear cartliage. From seeing those photos, he is NOT underweight. Chis are also often noted for becoming obese quite easily, so it is important to get him eating properly.

Yes, a great idea to have him neutered if his owners do not show up for him.

You need to get him on a proper canine diet. When he gets hungry, he'll eat what you feed him. Offer it again, and repeat until he finally accepts the fact that this will now be his source of food. Please start out right.
Yes, a great idea to have him neutered if his owners do not show up for him.
I know nothing about Chis, but wanted to say something about eating and such.

My MIL has a 9 year old male doxie, he was intact til about 2 years ago (she fought her husband for years over neutering him, but then he had to have a hernia operation and she neutered him while he was under). Anyway, before he was neutered, he was teh pickiest dog I had ever seen (and the skinniest doxie I had ever seen, not emaciated, just skinny); they feed him Iams dry dog food and leave it out always, but also feed him table scraps (but he was picky; only chicken, no fat or skin; a little bacon and not much else; and a couple kinds of dog treats). Since having him neutered, he eats anything and everything offered to him. I don't know if there is a relation between neutering and the food issue; but there seemed to be with the doxie. Just interesting.

We've had chihuahuas for 12 years, and they will shake sometimes, but usually it's because they feel a chill.

I'd wrap them in a warm soft blanket....that takes care of it.

Thank you for caring for the little stray!

I have 2 Chihuahuas, both 13 , but little Kirby had a stroke this summer and had to be put down( devistating for me)

Kirby would shake all the time , even in front of the heater. He was a nervious little guy , and I coddeled him his whole life , I wouldnt do that. They do like to burry themselves in blankets , I went to the fabric store and bought miles of fleece, then cut it up into small blanket sized pieces, he loved that. He also had 2 stuffed toys that he had for his whole life ( I still have his mouse and whale) he slept with his toys , and took them on his walks. I fed Iams dry food, and it seemed to be fine for him. Like the other post when he is hungry he will eat dry. Eucanuba (sp) is formulated for small dogs, and I am sure there are lots of foods on the market now designed for small dogs. Leaving him outside is not a great idea, (I know you havnt , but just thought id throw it out there) they are happy being inside when its cold out, snuggled up in your lap or in a warm dog bed where the rest of the family is , but out of the way so they dont have to worry about being stepped on. My other chihuahua has become our Hotel dog and is with us 24x7, they are very happy being inside all day with potty breaks, and short walks ... enjoy him, he looks very handsome.

Today we're starting the transition over to dry dog food. I know it will be rough on him, but I believe it will be best in the long run. He's just so finicky, that I'm gonna have to force him to eat something. He does seem to like meat mostly, pork, chicken and ground beef, but he has extremely bad gas, so I think the food is upsetting his stomach.

He's adjusting nicely, and I've officially named him Teddy. He's like one of those teddy bears that you see kids carrying around with them everywhere they go...he wants to be that teddy bear. Since I loved Teddy Ruxpin growing up, it only seems fitting. I'll look in the papers tomorrow, but it makes 6 days...and I would have thought that his owners would have posted posters around the neighborhood or called around to the humane society/vets for him. I have a feeling now that he is here to stay.

Thank you Mona for the information. I don't think that he is very old because he has perfect teeth...not stained or worn looking like older dogs have, yet he definately marks his territory and does not get along with our other two outside boys (especially our 1 year old who is getting neutered on the 11th). I plan on getting Teddy "fixed" right before Christmas, when I have some time off of work for Winter break. Do you think that once they are both fixed, they may adjust better to each other? Also, are chihuahuas ears supposed to be straight up? He lifts them straight up, or sideways, and he likes to pin them backwards if he is troubled about something. And potty breaks...how often should an indoor dog be trained to go out? Sorry so many questions.

Not all dogs are socialized with other dogs, so that may take some work. You will need to make it a part of your routine several times a day to begin with, and put them on leads and introduce them to each other. You need to correct any aggressive behavior from either one, towards the other, and reinforce any/all good behavior. I think eventually they will be OK once they get to know each other.

Oh, and yes, Chihuahua's ears ARE supposed to stand. They will lay them back when being scolded, but otherwise when alert, they should always be standing. As for housetraining, and adult dog can hold it many hours without "having" to go out, but since he is at a new home now, he needs to learn a new routine. The leg lifting in the house is I'm sure more a matter of territorial marking rather than not being able to hold it.

Actually, I think he looks more like a stag-coloured Min Pin in that picture. His ears are exactly the way my Min Pins ears go when she lets them down...they fold exactly the same as his, and they do have Italian Greyhound in their ancestry. Hmmm...I wonder if he could be a chiXminpin??

Sue...I wonder if you're right? His tail is docked and we couldn't figure out why someone would do that to a chihuahua. But it is literally a 3/4 inch dock, they went a lot shorter than a normal min pins would be. Hmmmm....any idea how I could find out exactly what he is? He does keep his ears sideways moreso than up. He is tan, but he has like a black blanket over his back, like a coyote's markings. Very cute dog, and he is about the size of a cat, probably weighing about 3 pounds at the most.

You can do an at home DNA test (mouth/saliva swab that you send in for analysis.) to determine what breed he is. There is a list of breeds that they can do, and Chihuahua, Min Pin and Italian Greyhound are all in the list, so that should help! Good Luck, and let us know the results!

http://www.whatismydogtype.com/

I have 2 Min Pin X Chis....he resembles mine.Lots of Min Pins have naturally floppy ears(mine does,I have the father of my pups too)So his ears may come from the crossing of the Min Pin/Chi.My Chi had 6 pups...5 of them,the ears stood like a Chi's,one of them had one ear that stood and one that sort of stuck out to the side.That is a great cross...very loyal and loving dogs.I love my boys! Oh and they do seem a little nervous...can't raise my voice to them or they sulk and beg me to forgive them!
default_wub.png
They are really intelligent.

one of them had one ear that stood and one that sort of stuck out to the side.
Yes! That is what his seems to do! He usually puts them out sideways like in the picture or has one straight up and the other to the side. But if he hears something or is listening, he'll put them straight up. If he is in trouble or upset, then he pins them backwards. He is a great watch dog and seems very loyal towards me. Extremely smart and listens really well.

Could he be Chi X Jack Russel? It is a common mix. Or even a Rat Terrier....normally ratties have some black in them, but not always, my Rattie is tan/white, with a tiny bit of black. Rat Terriers are mixed with so many breeds, including italian greyhound, they can sometimes be very unique. Normally the ratties have a little bit longer nose than you're guy though and thier eyes aren't as large. Thier ears can be like your guys or stand up all the time like a Chi. He is very cute!

This is the two that I have ,the smaller one resembles yours,I think.

RickyBuddy.jpg

This is the one with the floppy ears,I was wrong,I said one stood up,it didn't.One stood out to the side and one flopped.Unfortunately we lost him about 5 yrs ago.But he was a great boy! All 3 are brothers from the same litter.I still have the 2 in the first pic.

Bruiser.jpg

Yes Debs, he looks a LOT like your little guy who passed away. I did weigh him earlier today and he is somewhere between 6 1/2 - 7 pounds (it kept fluctuating because I was holding him in my arms). So I was way off in my estimate. Lol. My husband is in love with him, he bought him his own food dish and told me that Walmart has all sorts of cute clothing that would fit him.
default_rolleyes.gif
We bought him Iams dog food and he only seems interested in eating it if one of the cats approaches it. He actually seems food agressive at times, which will NOT be tolerated in this house. He's got a lot of learning ahead of him but I think he's an official member of the family now.

I hope to do DNA testing on him, thank you Mona for that link. I'm extremely curious to what he is now because the more I see Chihuahuas, the less I think he looks like them. But it's weird how while researching, chi's and min pins look almost identical in some of the pictures.
default_wacko.png

But it's weird how while researching, chi's and min pins look almost identical in some of the pictures.
default_wacko.png
If bred to "standard", this should NEVER be the case. I think there is just too much cross breeding going on, and not enough honesty when it happens!
default_no.gif

But it's weird how while researching, chi's and min pins look almost identical in some of the pictures.
default_wacko.png
If bred to "standard", this should NEVER be the case. I think there is just too much cross breeding going on, and not enough honesty when it happens!
default_no.gif
I was thinking the same thing. I was even asking my mom which picture looked like a min pin, and which one looked like a chi. She ended up getting frustrated and said "they all look the same". I remember a pure blooded min pin as being the perfect replica of a doberman. My aunt had a min pin named Lacy, and she had a long nose and beedy little eyes. But looking at pictures of min pins now, very few have those same characteristics. Just like I was always under the impression that chi's had a huge head, bugly eyes and short noses. Looking through the search engine, both chi's and min pins have the same face and body. It's sad when the forums I've read through say that you should DNA them to know for sure. What?

Latest posts

Back