I need possitive thoughts tonite please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good call on this one you guys! All great ideas for me to investigate. And AnnaC you had the right side and yes that movie was taken just a couple of hours before he wrecked. I know he does not move fluidly anymore because he was my primary show horse and worked hard all his life and has a lot of foot complications and arthertis and the old bones just aren't what they used to be. Just like me!

I was up with this boy all night long and think I found the problem in his knee. Didn't notice it before but it seemed squishy and a little tiny bit swelled so I hosed the leg over and over again and popped him more bute and did some liniment. This morning I with held his bute, even though he's an old hippy and loves his Bute I needed to see what he was like without it. There is a noticeable change for the better thank heavens. He's not 100% but he can put his weight on it now and instead of a full blown dead lame I can't move at all thing, he's a bit gimpy. I was about to do a poultice, full wrap and stall rest but he was anxious to move forward this morning and wanted to go out and he seems to be working it out with moving around. This horse is the biggesst sissy you have ever seen so if he was still hurting all that much he would have never moved out of that stall. Its one of these times when I'm not sure of bed rest or movement so I'm taking my cue from him. There's a few deep muddy spots in his field he could have slipped or skidded as we had so much rain the night before so I think he just got out there cutting up pounding around as you can see he does in the video and wrecked himself. I have told him a million times we have old bones and he needs to quit acting like a fooling colt but does he listen?
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

Thanks to you all Beautiful People! I am hopeful for a complete recovery.
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif

Marty,

I don't have anything to tell you as far as the lameness, but just wanted to say that Sonny is awesome looking for his age!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
You need to pat yourself on the back from me! Great job caring for the old gentleman!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

Bill

He looks WONDERFUL, Marty(on slow dial-up, so no watching the video, but can see the opening 'still')! Exactly what I would expect with you as the steward of his care, because you dang sure know what you are doing!

I also thought 'injury' when I read your post...good to read that you have most likely found the cause, AND that he is doing better! SOOOO right about what happens when you get older; I can testify, at my age! One minute you are fine, the next, something HURTS....and while we know to 'be careful; take it slow and easy', horses have no such inner controls, in most cases!

I have a 29 YO mini mare who looks really good, except she is slower than most to let go of her winter hair(though she DOES shed out, just more slowly)...she can't eat hay, despite very regular tooth care...she is subject to choke...but is doing very well on TC Senior and rabbit pellets. It is something of a challenge to care for these 'oldsters', but very rewarding!

Best wishes and more years with Sonny,

Margo

Great news Marty, it sounds as though you might have found the problem.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Silly old fella (said lovingly) he obviouly feels and looks so good, he forgets about his AGE. LOL!!

I think you are right in leaving it up to him (inside or out), with these elderly friends of ours it is often difficult to know what is best, but as long as he takes it EASY, he's probably better meandering around than standing in his stall.

A big hug for your wonderful boy, really hope he recovers very soon.
default_wub.png

Anna

Thats great news - really hope he keeps improving. He is in such fantastic condition I dont think he knows hes 31 lol.

So glad he is feeling better and that you might have found the problem. You are such a good "mom" and so attentive!

Marty hes drop dead gorgeous! Doesn't look like hes 31 years young at all!

Could he have gotten his hoof stuck in something? Or stepped in a hole?

sounds like he is getting better tho, great news!

Very glad to read of Sonny's improvement!!!!
aktion033.gif

Marty,

I do not get on as often as I used to, trying to get ready to move. Just read about your boy and am glad to hear he is getting better. You have done a beautiful job of taking care of him and I would never have guessed that he was 31. How lucky for him that he has such a wonderful, caring owner.

Latest posts

Back