I need opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
I have a stallion that is 4 now. As a 2 year old, he bred and caught 3 mares. Since then, He covers, but does not get the mares in foal. I have done a fertility test on him, and he has a very low sperm count, with almost no movement. 90% are dead. That being said, it seems about that time, he got in as stallion fight, and got his teeth kicked in. He did not appear sore anywhere but his mouth.

But, he could have been injured.

I have tried all kinds of feeds, vitamins, minerals, and many different ways of breeding, IE Pasture, hand breeding, only one mare at a time, another location all together, all sorts of stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve his fertility? Anything you have tried? I do have his son that I am keeping, and I will never sell this stallion. He is my baby, and I adore him..Do I give him more time, or get him out of his and my misery and geld him, and use his son next year? His son will be a 2 year old then. oh, BTW, he only threw blue eyed tovero babies. They are all beautiful.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Did you have him cultured by any chance? Perhaps he has some infection he picked up in his injury or in breeding?

So what does the vet say, other then he has a low sperm count? Can he get shots of testosterone or something??? Did the vet suggest any options? I know at the U of F they do embryo transplant and such, possibly they'd have a suggestion??? Our vet has a reproduction clinic... I'd call them and ask if they had any suggestions, or ask your vet to call Peterson Smith's clinic in Ocala.

His baby's sound gorgeous!

God Bless,

Lynn W

We have not done a culture, but he has been treated with gram negative and Gram positive antibiotics, too. The vet will be out tomorrow, so I wanted to see what all is suggested here. I will get a culture done, for sure.

ok, on the vet suggestions, geld him, it might be heridetary. (2 opinions on that one). He has very watery ejaculate, very thin. So, he just is not producing enough sperm, and what he does produce dies because of the watery nature. There is no " Jelly" consistancy at all. testosterone is an interesting suggestion.

That is last years colt looking at Lakota in my avatar.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if it is inherited his son/s will posses this problem as well and what if any problems will the fillies posses? Have you checked your pastrues I think I remember you having one a while back with some infertility problems.

Christine, Same horse , same problem. And the interesting thing is I moved last year, so location has changed, too. And yes, that is my concern over the colt, genetically speaking.

Have you tried Wheat Germ oil? I knew of a stallion that stopped producing when he got older because the "jelly" got too thick and the litter swimmers couldn't get through.
default_unsure.png
:

Robin

I honestly dont know what to think then not good at reproductive issues and what I did think was already taken care of. Good luck and hope he gets better for you

Latest posts

Back