I need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaminewbie

Reaction score
I am having an outbreak of strangles and my 2 yr old stud is in bad shape, his temp is 104.5 and he is foaming at the mouth, and breathing is very bad. The vet was out yesterday and said it has moved into his sinuses. I can't put him on antibiotics cause it will make the strangles worse. Our other horses are doing good considering. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do for Beamer? The foaming at the mouth is what is really worrying me.
sad.gif

Thank you for any suggestions

I know I am not asking a vet any help would be very appreciated.

If your horse is having troubles breathing, you need to call the vet immediately and have this horse re-examined. They don't call this strangles for no reason. Severe cases can kill a horse by choking off the airways.

If your current vet is not alarmed over the foaming at the mouth, then get a second opinion from another vet. This is nothing to mess with and in my experience as a general horse owner, foaming at the mouth can and often does indicate restricted breathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Nila! It sounds like your colt is having a respiratory emergency and you need a vet out ASAP! Please don't wait!

I agree with the others, get the vet back out to take a look at him.

My 8 year old APHA mare had strangles as a yearling (full-blown, pus filled lymph-nodes in her neck that popped and drained - I had to flush them twice a day for almost two weeks
smileypuke.gif
). The vet prescribed bute for her when he temp went above I think it was 104 (I realize minis don't do well with bute, but maybe banamine would work - talk to your vet), to bring her temp down a little. Also, to help her, I raised all her feed tubs and water above ground level, it was easier for her to eat if she didn't have to reach too far for her feed. I suppose the bottom of the pan was about at her knees and she kept right on eating and drinking the whole time (maybe not as much as normal, but she did eat).

"I know I am not asking a vet any help would be very appreciated."

I agree with the other posts, get a vet out to help your horse.

On another note: --Your vet is afraid he may get 'brat strangles' (the strep. bacteria go internal) if you give him antibiotics. With a case that bad you may want to ask again about antibiotics so that your horse can maybe get an upper hand on the infection. We live in the Central Valley of CA and Strangles is prevalent in some areas. The vets around here are 50/50 regarding prescribing antibiotics for strangles. If you do end up using antibiotics make sure you are agressive and finish out the entire course of antibiotics. Have the vet check out the horse again once the course of antibiotics is done to make sure it's taken care of it. I've seen horses recover from strangles both treated with antibiotics and without. So don't count antibiotics out completely if you need more ammunition to fight this. Also, think about vaccinating your horses against Strangles in the future. It doesn't give horses complete immunity but it does offer some protection.

Please let us know how it goes.

I agree with above posts..... Get your vet back or get a second opinion.

MA

The foaming at the mouth can also indicate choke.

We are keeping both you and Beamer in our prayers.

Please keep us posted.

First Thank You everyone!!!! I called my vet, couldn't get ahold of him, ended up calling MSU and they told me what to do, he was choking. I had to syringe warm water down his throat to see if I could get anything out and I did. My vet did call and knows what is going on and gave me his home number to call him if he gets worse again tonight. Otherwise he will come in the morning if he has not improved any more. I am hoping his abcess will pop this weekend, he is about 4 days behind the first case then he will go on antibiotics for the sinuses. Keep us in your prayers!!!

When I had a horse with strangles he got really really bad and was terribly miserable. After he got better my vet admitted to me that SHE didn't think he was going to make it. She did put him on antibiotics - a penicillin shot every day for 10 days, and for the first couple of days until he seemed to be feeling better she gave him a shot for pain to take the edge off and hopefully get him relaxed enough to get some rest. She wanted to keep a close eye on him and stopped by every single day to give the shot, check temp and such. I also put the feed and water up higher--he had abcesses open and draining all along his face and under his jaw - it was horrible looking. He drank water but barely ate for several days. I'd make warm sloppy beet pulp with anything I could think of stirred in to get him to eat and the thing that he liked and ate was Nutrena XTN mixed in. It smells like licorice.

Keep your vet posted and insist he come back out again if you don't think he is improving. He could go downhill very, very quickly.

Forgot to say she also had me putting hot packs on the abcessed areas several times a day and I could be wrong, but I think it was really hot water with a little bit of chlorine beach mixed in and just white washcloths. I'd ring them out and press them against the abcesses and then afterward dab on that yellow thick greasy antibiotic stuff in the blue jar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in my days working with race horses we had a two year old colt with strangles form an abscess inside his throat, it did choke him down, could not breath at all, and we had to do a tracheotomy in the field (with a butter knife as that is all I had handy!) He did make it. Keep a close eye on your stud. The vet did get the abscess to burst running a somach tube into his throat.

Sorry about your horse and hope it goes well for you.

I have seen the devastation caused by strangles going through a ranch, the expense for treating, the long recovery time and the easy transmission from one ranch to another. I have also heard the lame excuses for not having your horses vaccinated in areas prone to strangles. With the advent of nasal vaccines and the low cost vs. cost of treatment. it amazes me that more people don't vaccinate. I have vaccinated all my horses for about 20 years and thank goodness have never had a case on my ranches.

Well I talked to the vet this morning and he decided that I need to go ahead and put him on antibiotics, so I am headed to go and get a bottle of SMZ from him. Beamer is doing a little better this morning, he ate some warn mash this morning and his abcess feels like it is starting to soften. Thank You again for all the responses.
smile.gif

I am so glad that he seems to be doing a bit better this morning. Getting Beamer on antibiotics is not a bad idea as long as they are used properly like others have said, especially since he did choke last night. Choke can cause some respitory issues and the antibiotics will help to clear that up if the horse asperated anything from the choke episode.

Keeping Beamer and you in our thoughts and prayers! Please keep us posted on his progress!

Thank goodness that MSU was able to help you when your vet was unavailable!

I hope Beamer gets better quick, keep us updated and good luck.

I'd be happy to offer advice offlist........I treated over 50 cases of strangles over 3 months on a farm I managed.....I am well versed in this disease.....and quite good at irrigating abccesses
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
it is highly highly contagious and can be carried from place to place on shoes clothes halters brushes etc.......

I am wondering if the vet has actually cultured him? I mean I know it is obvious to you guys he has strangles but from my own experience (to much with stupid strangles) there are different strains and different antibiodics work differently with them

Prayers are coming for Beamer. It sounds like you have the situation under control.

Don't forget to take care of yourself too........you aren't going to be much good to the sick horses if you are worn to a frazzle.

Take care

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back