I LOVE SLICK!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
I have a 13 y/o 'B' gelding named Slick (Monarch's Cherry Bomb) and we have just started driving him. The first few times were just around our property and only once down our road. When he went down the road he was sore and not forward at all. I actually got out and walked him on the way home letting my 4 y/o son hold the reins. Slick was NOT happy.

Well, I came and asked here what to do about it. I ended up with these cheap little buckle shoes and so I tried them out for the first time today. Slick seemed to do just fine on the gravel driveway and on out to the road, then...WHOOSH!!! He took of at a fast trot!! I let him trot all the way to the end of the road!! He did not limp a single time! He was having such a good time pulling our little wagon. On the way back I made him walk once we were close to home, but I was so suprised what a difference the little shoes made. What a good little horse I have. :538:

I am glad that he feels better.
default_smile.png

Liz

Shelly can you show us a pic of the shoes? I would love to see them.

I look forward to seeing his Nikes :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin And can you tell us where you got them? Thanks!

Sounds like you, your boy and your horse are all having a great time. Have fun!

I got them from Star Lake Tack:

http://www.starlakefarm.com/new_items.html

They are a little hard to buckle, and I did worry they would come off, they still might one of these days, but this time around, they didn't. I am going to try and make them more secure around Slick's ankle somehow. I like tham!!

shoe1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelly, Only a couple people know what you have there for a horse and I'm one of them. There are days that I wish I had never sold him back to Bonnie. He is one in a million. He is a KEEPER! Enjoy him.

Shelly, Only a couple people know what you have there for a horse and I'm one of them. There are days that I wish I had never sold him back to Bonnie. He is one in a million. He is a KEEPER! Enjoy him.
Believe me I know. I am glad I do have him.

For all of you who Don't know Slick, here he is at our neighbor's house giving rides to my son and his friend, along with my dog, Casey.

001drivingslicksept07019.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic of the shoes am so glad they helped make these rides enjoyable for Slick as well and his people. Nice to see you looking so happy in your new surroundings.

Shelly, thank you for sharing about the shoes that are working for Slick. I have been needing some for my gelding who was hurt by a bad farrier this summer and is still very sore after 3 month but was reluctant to buy shoes after hearing they did not stay on. I will be ordering from Star Lake tomorrow so we can be driving pain free too!!

Gina & Buddy

Shelly, thank you for sharing about the shoes that are working for Slick. I have been needing some for my gelding who was hurt by a bad farrier this summer and is still very sore after 3 month but was reluctant to buy shoes after hearing they did not stay on. I will be ordering from Star Lake tomorrow so we can be driving pain free too!!

Gina & Buddy
YEAH!!! I do think they need some re-enforcement around the ankle of the foot to keep them on better. If your horse over reaches at all, they will pull them off. They are cheap enough that with a little extra help from Vet Wrap or Velcro or what ever, they are well worth it. I can't believe the Old Macs are the same huge price for a big horse as they are for a mini. All the other "Real" boots, like Davis, are that way. It just kills me to spend nearly $200 for a tiny pair of boots!!

oh it is so nice to see Slick. We all miss him here in NH. He is a great horse! I have had the pleasure of working with him.

Karen

Slick looks great. He was and always will be a pleasure to have around. He is going to be a lot of fun driving this fall. Give Slick a hug and kiss for me along with a nice big red apple.

I'm the one that told you about them..SO glad they are working out for him! I am buying both our horses a pair for Christmas..May I suggest "gaitors" you can buy to help secure them in some manner?

I would have replied sooner to this post but my computer dies and just today got a new one

Maxine

Hay!!! So glad you replied!

I got some velcro to try with them. So far they have not come off, but I just feel like they need to be more secure. I LIKE THEM!!!

Here is Slick with them on. I let Loren Drive Slick the other day all by himself!! Slick is a great little horse.

lorendrives009.jpg

lorendrives011.jpg

lorendrives017.jpg

lorendrives014.jpg

lorendrives018.jpg

(Please ignore the loose fitting breeching. I was trying them in a different spot and it just was not tight enough)

Latest posts

Back