I know why Belle is treating Lexie " rude " do horses try people to??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anngee

Reaction score
Yesterday I hadn't visited Belle...when I went in to feed them I just put food down...I didn't pay her first bc I was trying to get both fed and Lexie out of the way so she wouldn't get bullied. I LOVE that Belle LOVES our affection and attention. Anyway, I just walked in and went straight for Belle's feeder & she walked up behind me and rammed her nose into my lower back...she took off running away as soon as she did it...I didn't know whether to get mad or laugh bc now she was the one running instead of Lex.

It wouldn't have hurt except we are both short and she hit right at my bad disc. I really don't think she was trying to hurt me. Do you think she just wanted attention?

When you feed them , are they fed together ? ( as in same yard, stable) Reason I ask , is I have two Thoroughbreds at home. One is very domineering over the other at feed time and continues to pester the other until his feed has been given to him. So he is fed slightly before the other big horse and they are fed on opposite sides of the paddock.

Regarding her running up behind you, please be very careful , I ALWAYS have one eye on my horses at all times whilst in the paddocks or yards, It can only take a gust of wind to startle them and if you were close by but not looking , you could be bowled over in a split second. My other concern is that seeing you had your back turned, was she coming at you with her ears back ?

In the interim , I would be separating them at feed time and spend a little time looking at Belle when you feed her. Is she just like this when the feed buckets come out ? ect....... Horses, in general need to have manners and respect for your space at all times.

Hope this is of some help to you
default_smile.png

Ryan

Thanks...I didn't see her ears bc as soon as she " bored " me she took off running before I could even turn my head. I will stop turning my back on them. Their food bowls are 50 feet away. We have added more fence....we have to buy another roll and I can give them more space or separate them.

Horse's will definitely test you. ALL the time, or even every time you're around, for some horses. They need to know who the boss is, and they will constantly test you to make sure you're still up for it.

Since it was at feeding time, she probably was testing you, but horses will also head-butt you to show affection, so it's hard to tell without seeing her facial expression.

Latest posts

Back