I just could not leave Dayja at her new home...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did great.

Next time, do what I do and ask for references and check them out. You'll probably loose a few dozen sales that way, ( I do) but heck, I can sleep at night too.

Many hugs ((((((( )))))))))

You certainly did the right thing. How scary that would have been for your little Dayja to have been left there. The conditions certainly were not fit for a horse!!

Hugs for you!! You are a great mini Mom!!

You did the right thing. I did the same thing with one of my mares. We went to deliver her and when I saw where she was going to be a 8x10 pen no shelter I said sorry but my horses have shelter and 15 acres to run.

There were other reason I wouldn't leave her also. Alice

It just amazes me sometimes what people think passes for a stall... especially for our lovely miniature breed. SO glad that you were able to see where she was going and was able to get her out of there...

I have found that sometime the "big horse" people are the worst when it comes to stabling facilities for a miniature. I, too, have taken horses back and/or out of situations that could have become a living nightmare for the horses involved.

Give little Dayja a big hug from me...
default_wub.png
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations for standing up for Dayja! :aktion033: Your sure came threw when needed GREATLY! :lol:

I'd rather miss a sale than leave a little horse in conditions like that!

Viki

I also backed out of a sale this weekend, not for one of mine but for a student's horse that is boarded at my farm. Our first conversation went so well that I turned down any other inquiries and held the horse for these people. Big mistake! Things got weirder and weirder (she had to save up gas money for 2 weeks, but owns and operates a TB breeding farm with 26 horses, and 2 stallions???), kept putting off coming to get her. Finally called the night before they wanted to come and let them know they couldn't get her if they didn't stay to work with her first (they wanted to drive 10 hours one way, throw her on a strange trailer in the dark, and drive 10 hours home). And this is a mare with known and disclosed behavioral problems! Free to good home DOES NOT mean free to first person to show up with a horse trailer.
default_frusty.gif
:

Hurrah for you!!!! I APPLAUD your actions!!!! It was the woman's fault that her child did not get her for Christmas. You can't treat living creatures like a discarded appliance How horrible! I would have done the same thing!!!!

Good for you! What a terrible experience.

I sold my last two minis to a couple who had never had horses before. I was so worried, but they were doing their homework and everyone deserves a chance. I had to keep Percy and Merlin until they finished their barn/fence. When we delivered them about 3 weeks ago (about 120 miles from us), hubby was so worried that when we got there I would be upset, because things wouldn't be the way I wanted or good enough for the horses. To my surprise, it was perfect. The barn was EXACTLY like mine, except a little bigger, the pasture was exactly like mine, but a little bigger. When they came to look at the horses, they took pictures of my barn/pasture/setup...they copied it exactly, I mean it was like dejavue. I was so pleased I almost cried. My barn/pasture is by no means the best setup (but hubby did do good), and the man who bought them said he wanted it to be as less stressful as possible for the minis so he did everything just like I did. It was wonderful and I'm sure it did make it easier for the horses, and much easier for me. It looked exactly like this:

HPIM1282.jpg

They even brought in dirt on top of their grass! When I told them that he had to limit the horses time outside on the grass until they got used to it since they had been on a dry lot, he tore most of the grass up! Not what I would of done, but he wanted to make sure he didn't make any mistakes. He didn't want to have to confine the horses because of the grass since they weren't used to being locked in except at night. They were really a wonderful couple, I was so pleased...and lucky!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]You did the right thing!!! :aktion033:[/SIZE]

I am a very picky mother when it comes to a new home for my babies, and I have backed out of several deals because I did not feel comfortable selling to the new owners!!!

And when we purchased our land with the barn I went through spent days pulling nails and sanding 2x4's that I felt they could get hurt on, making my husband trim trees with low branches. I mini proofed everything!!!

Good for you. I have a gelding who is green broke to drive and have been looking for a home for him, since an injury to my shoulder has made it almost impossible for me to drive anymore. I won't put him on the internet, and I have had a couple of inquiries, but when I tell the people I must inspect where he would live, they seem to cool on the idea. Too bad...he's my boy, and he can live here forever without ever driving again before I would let anyone who would not give him a good home have him. These little ones are too precious to let just anyone have. You used good sense in not subjecting your's to a horrible life.

:aktion033:

:aktion033: :aktion033: Great job, those people did not deserve to get Dayja, don't spend anytime worrying about them. They sure didn't spend anytime preparing for your girl to join their family and they don't deserve to have animals.

Yvonne

[SIZE=18pt]Great job. I would have done the same thing. That's what I was sorried about when I sold our Haflinger mare. I know the farrier as he is my own and he gave them a good referance along with their vet. I can't imagine letting a hore live like that. Mind you I don't have the best barn in the world, but it's clean safe and secure for them to live in.[/SIZE]

Christy

Latest posts

Back