I just could not leave Dayja at her new home...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockin r

Reaction score
Dayja was supposed to be a Christmas present from Santa. We delivered her to her new home on xmas eve and we were not there for long!!! 1 1/2 hours one way, travel time. The conditions were atrochious!!! They were going to put her in an old shed with no windows, refrigerators on there sides and nails everywhere and close the door on her till xmas morning!!!!! :new_shocked: :no: They said I had alot of nerve not to give them Dayja, that she was their horse!!! Mind you not a red cent had passed between us, and I got right in her face and said to bring it on!!! Dayja belonged to me period, and if she did not step back I would knock her back :new_2gunsfiring_v1: .... ( she had a hold of Dayja's halter and would'nt let her go) Husbands got involved, and got us apart. I was told it was my fault her daughter did not have a christmas....Trust me, I can live with it. What I don't understand is that these people are extremely knowlegdeable about horses, have several full size horses and have for years...This was a very tramatic experiance for Dayja, She was soooo shaken by these people, and them trying to physically take her from me, I rode all the way home in the trailer freezing my but off calming her down. Thank God we took Sugar with us, she was a big help with calming her...NEVER EVER AGAIN will this happen to one of my babies....

:aktion033: :aktion033: good for you, those people are crazy!!

i think :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: is TOO GOOD for them!!

Robin you are a wonderful and caring person.

You have done the right thing, well done, and thank God for people like you.

How could anyone have lived with themselves leaving her there??

Next thing you would have heard they had turned her out with their riding horses fro a run in the paddock and, what do you know??

She got kicked in the head and killed, or worse!!

Or the other extreme they never let her out of the shed and suddenly you get told you breed savage horses!!

No, you were right, thank goodness you went with her instead of letting them pick her up.

What a narrow escape for you both.

That's what always scares me about selling over the internet, usually I don't get to see where the horse is going.

Just remember, anyone can pretend to be anything they want to be!!! Even Forum members....

Just remember, anyone can pretend to be anything they want to be!!! Even Forum members....

A very true statement! I don't really think it can be repeated enough.

:aktion033: Right on !!! I would have done the same thing.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I would have done the very same!!

Needless to say, you did the right thing! Thank goodness you "delivered" her personally because if they'd have picked her up, or hired a shipper.................. :no:

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Even though people have had some type of horse for years, does not mean that they are experienced or have a bit of common sense. I would have done the exact same thing. I am particular where mine go and if I even begin to get a bad feeling I will refuse the sale and not send them. I have even done it to a lady who came to look at one of my manx kittens. She looked at it like she was studying some piece of clothing or something. The cat barely had a stump of a tail and she was making mention of possibly having it snipped even shorter. My husband called me at work and I told him absolutley NOT!!!! She was not to take the cat and nevermind. She did not see it as a cute and cuddly kitten she saw it as a mere object so how was I to expect it would get the care and love it needed. I aplaud you immensly!!!

That is a sickening thought, when you think about how that little horse was going to live.

We usually assume people who are buying something plan to look after it properly.

I have often heard that pets being purchased for a Christmas present are not always a good idea.

It would be interesting to hear how other sellers handle their sales. e.g.references, visiting the farm, etc.

I have had two bad sales that I am aware of, and not due to facilities, but rather, owner apathy.

I don't know how you can tell if a buyer is an animal lover.

you did the right thing IMO. We all do what we can to protect our horses when we sell.

Someone mentioned being nervous about selling over the internet. ThreeC maybe. There are some things you can do to 'check out' the living conditions of the buyer's farm. Go to their web site or ask for pictures of their horses or even pictures of where the horse will live. If you're looking at pictures of their horses notice the condition of the horses.....is their weight good? Feet trimmed? Look at the background. Is the fencing safe? Is the horse area free of junk? Are the buildings safe? If things look OK in the pictures then it's probably an ok home.

But we have been fooled! One of our foals went to a very nice facility with beautiful horses....nice people. Some time later we got a little uneasy. 6 months later we bought the filly back and had her shipped home. When she walked off the trailer it was obvious that she was quite thin. I also noticed she was still wearing her baby halter. When I got her to the barn and tried to take off the halter I found it appeared to still be in the same hole it was in when she left here 6 months before. Frank had to help me get it off....IT HAD GROWN INTO HER SKIN!!!! :new_shocked: Just made me sick! No wonder she was thin. She couldn't chew!

This is absolutely the sweetest little horse and a real pocket pet. She sure didn't need a halter on to catch her. Fortunately her face healed with little scarring. It doesn't show up unless she is show clipped and then the show halter covers it.

So I guess I'm just saying there is no 100% guarnatee of a good home, but if you do your homework you will usually be right. Of course we have backed out of a couple of sales too when we started to get nervous.

Charlotte

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

You go girl!!!!!!

:aktion033: You did the right thing.
default_yes.gif
: Now you don't have to worry about where Dayja is living and her conditions.

When she had ahold of the halter and wouldn't let go, I can't say what I would have done
default_rolleyes.gif
: but you were very close to what I was thinking I would have done. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you! :aktion033: :aktion033: Not all people care so much about their horses but it sure is good when we hear from one that did as you did. Bet you sleep good at night!
default_yes.gif
: Mary

Good for you! I'm glad you didn't let them pressure you into leaving her because it was a little girls Christmas present! Of course, now I'm worrying because I'm working on my very first sale(my first born no less!!) and have only gotten to speak to them on the phone.....though they seem very nice and do have other minis. But you just never know. I won't get to see their place, we'll be meeting halfway on the delivery.....but at least I'll get to meet them in person.

It sure sounds like you did the right thing, the same thing any of us would do under such circumstances.

It would be interesting to hear the spin the other woman is putting on this. I wonder if she's realized how poorly she handled things.

I doubt she has. It always amazes me how versions of the same event can vary wildly.

Latest posts

Back