I have to share :) plus I have a question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nichcole

Reaction score
Here is my new mini Mare, Her name is Mt. View's Susie Q (Susie for short) and she is in foal to DML Mickey Montana(with lines to Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse) for a late April Baby.. She is my first mare i'm so excited

Susy.jpg

This is an old picture, I will post some new ones when I get her home.

I do have a question , Should she be showing yet if she is de in late april?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Nichcole on your new "mum" to be! She is lovely.....

Showing? Some may disagree with me, but my opinion is, showing a mare while pregnant is not a good idea.

Why put added stress on her? You risk abortion.

Why expose her in a situation where there are strange viruses and bacteria? Again, you risk abortion.

If I were in your situation with your first pregnant mare, I would let her settle into your place and let her be a Pregnant Princess..........I'd also read all the books and online information I could about foaling out and get myself prepared for long sleepless nights and being a midwife.
default_wink.png
: (April is not that far away!)

MA

She is a pretty mare and I love her color!

MA, I think she means should she be showing a baby belly yet if she's due in late April.

I've heard a lot of people say they don't really show much until the last three months, but I think a factor would be if they've had other foals (in which case they may start to show earlier).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is how I understood it and Yes she should be "showing" a belly by now- I would have her scanned as feed etc requirements alter a lot in a pregnant animal.

Well I got a new mare to, she is due early march and is not showing at all!

When I got her off the plane I did not think she was in foal at all, she looked more in show shape, but I sure felt baby kicking, so it´s really there!

So some do show some don´t, mares that have had multiple foals before ussually show alot sooner.

But yes if you would like to be sure, have her scanned.

Thank you guys, I have a couple books coming. When I get her home I will have her ultrasounded or buy one of those pregnacys test. I usually don't like to haaul them when thier pregnant but she only lives about 10 miles away.

Congratulations! Is she an appy?

We bought a maiden mare one time that didn't even show at 10 months! When I unloaded her at the vet's to get checked, even she said the mare didn't look pregnant and we were all surprised to see she was, and the breeding dates were correct. This mare kept her shape with her 2nd foal too, but we sold her shortly after.

Yeah she is a appy. She roans out in the summer and has the markings around the eyes, with her winter coat you can not even tell she is an appy .

Has anyone had luck with the PregnaMare test or would you recommond ultrasounding her?

Pregnamare tests are great but she is to far along to use one. They are only accurate between 40 and 100 days I'm pretty sure. I used one a few years back on my mare that was 104 days and I figured that few days wouldn't make a difference. The test was negative. Boy was a surprised( and sad) when she aborted a few months later.

I would suggest ultrasound or rectal palpation if you have a vet with small enough hands that would do it.

Good Luck!

Tammie~

Congratulations on your new mare! How exciting. Mares are soooooo different. I have one that has had multiple pregnancies and always looks pregnant(even when she's not!) and one that never looks pregnant! You just never know. Good luck with her! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back