I guess we called a truce....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I ran into her today at the Farmer's Co-op. Asks me about what she is supposed to feed the horse and how much. The horse is rather thin already in a very small pen. Then we went through the isle of wormers, supplements, fly sprays, you name it right down to the grooming tools. Looked at the heated water buckets. They didn't know that horses need warm water in winter. Thought that licking ice would be sufficient when it freezes. I tried not to act like any know-it-all by no means, so I just showed her my favorite things and explained why I liked or disliked the products.

Turned her on to Beet Pulp too. I have 50 lbs and said I would just give her half as a gift from Sonny to her mare, since they are over-the-fence buddies and because it will take me a while to use that much for mine. So, she's bringing over some buckets in the morning and I'm going to show her the different ways to prepare it and of course my favorite way which is with chopped up carrots. Yum.

She wanted the phone number of my hay man since she saw us bring another truck load in yestarday to stock for the winter. She didn't know that they needed to worry about winter hay but now she does. She said that she watches Sonny eating hay a lot and didn't understand why.

They are going to be tearing our old barn down for the lumber to build their horse a run in shed and a place for hay storage since they don't have anything for shelter and then make the horse's area larger for her.

I warned her about Halloween up here and what to expect and to be sure to put her horse in the back someplace and keep an eye out for the tricksters. Sometimes they get out of hand up here and cross the line and can do some damage. She knows the boys and thier friends will be lurking about keeping an eye on things for our area. She was greatful for the info.

So I'll be expecting her in the am while I'm out doing chores, and I'll have hot tea and coffee cake ready to serve at the picnic table. I'm printing out some information on feed and beet pulp and other options for her. This way she can have the knowledge and make her own decisions and that way I am not pushing my ways on anyone.

This is the way I like it. Nice and peaceful and civil. We did most definately not discuss her dogs. Why blow it.......
wink.gif

Great news Marty.
aktion033.gif
Being on good terms with your neighbors is always a good thing. Never know when either of you might need the other.

Thats good maybe it will all work out. Good luck in the morning. Funny how when they need you their attitude changes (hopefully to stay)

That's fantastic- they should send you out to Iraq!! Remember to include info on worming- I'm sure she'll not know about that.

aktion033.gif

I'm so glad to hear this news! I was just praying that something good would happen out of this sitiuation. It really worries me that they bought this horse and have no sence at all about how to take care of an animal. Thank God that your paths crossed just at the right moment. Hopefully you will become (if she'll let you) a very big help to her with teaching her how to properly care for an animal.

I'm very happy for you and I hope this all works out great! Fingers crossed for you!
wink.gif

Leya

What a awesome neighbor you are. Want to come talk to mine she has 8 German shepards that bark 24/7 and she thinks thats O.K. Kathy
wacko.gif

Good for you! You converted a "foe" into a "friend" - helped a horse and may have eliminated your dog problem -- just maybe she will do something on her own -- hoping the two of you actually become good friends - -and maybe even she will want to help out with the minis if you need help in the future.

How neat that they are helping tear down the old barn --- and reclycling that stuff for something for their new horse.

I have my fingers crossed for you!

Way to go!

JJay

Well like I said I'm not pushing my ways on nobody and I won't go over there volunteering anything. I mind my own business but they do know they can come to me and I'll help where I can if they need it. But I won't be strolling over there. Won't get pushy. I hope they never listen to Jerry though: he'd have them buying up cows so he can get free milk.
biggrin.gif

Good job Marty! Another suggestion, have her get the book "Getting Your First Horse" by Judith Dutson. It is written for adult first time horse owners and is a great book. Covers all facets of horse care. I gave it to some first time owners, and when their horse colicked, I went over to check on them and they had the book open to that chapter.

Latest posts

Back