I can't wait to see this......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitsfizz

Reaction score
DCDriving2011031.jpg

This is what I cannot wait to see from the seat of the cart!

DCDriving2011042.jpg

He's not going badly at all, it's very slow against the two boys I did last year- he is more of a delicate flower and cannot believe he is supposed to work for a living!

I have some nice ones of him backing (three steps and a good solid halt) but I loaded up about six pictures and the forum ate the whole post and I just cannot fight Photobucket (which has just frozen and expired on me anyway) to get them back. I'll do it when I have more patience- or maybe wait til I have some with the breeching in the right place- I've messed around with it and I think It is OK now.

He is pulling the tyre, under duress and having exploded at the very idea yesterday- even though, at the time, I was pulling the flipping thing! Anyway, today his Lordship pulled it and got a little cross but did settle. He listens to commands, but he is SO used to having his own way he gets "wiggy" when I tell him off.

Anyway, considering I am walking right behind him and he could kick me if he was really cross I think he will get there in the end, just going to take a while.

default_laugh.png
I love hearing about "his lordship" and am happy to read these updates. I really must get back to working my boys again. Weather has been cruddy and I've been wimpy but you are inspiring me with these lovely pictures.
default_aktion033.gif
He's sure going to be a sharp looking harness horse.

Happy to see and hear about his "lordship", love how you talk about him, can just imagine his personality!

Have to say, he is gorgeous, really love his coloration!
default_wub.png

Keep up the good work.

I know you now what you're doing, Jane but just wonder if there is something else wrong? Has he EVER had to work --like halter or obstacles? The reason I ask is my stallion has always been a sweetheart to work with for halter etc. but the guy trying to put him to cart described him as "just plain lazy". I started thinking back that he has always been a bit of a wimp ......at age 2 after 2 halter classes he'd go lay down for a nap. Never had any health problems.

But when I went to geld him I ask the vet to do a blood workup just in case. She said the only thing that stuck out was an indication that he might have an ulcer. No trouble eating or anything. So it's just a thought there for your guy.

You know DC was one of my favorites when we visited, Jane. I love him! He's going to be a real attention-getter in harness and I'm DYING to see him in full kit! I'm so glad you're posting pictures now, Photobucket problems or not.

Leia

So...after you ground drove him, were you seeing spots?

He's a flashy guy, but spots aside, he's so nicely built and very handsome!

Thanks everyone, he is progressing....slowly! Had another hissy fit today as it was windy- we worked through it, but he does not like the idea, and Sandee, no, he has never done a stroke of work, was entire up til this spring, when I decided that I did not need another hormone laden colt but I did want another harness horse- or rather a harness horse as Misty had gone and so had Bertie. DC had his mind on one thing only so harness training was not going to happen. He still has his mind on the ladies but there appears to be room to wedge other things in if I am insistent, now.

He never covered when he was entire, but he covered two of my mares about six weeks ago!

Not something I approve of, but I had him out with the mares and foals, saw one mare was in season, brought her in a few minutes too late, no-one else was in season, well, until the next day that is! After that he only stayed out with the mares that were set.

How long do you "work" (I use the word advisedly, BTW, I would not describe what he is doing as real work, not yet) a young horse for- I tend to just work until he settles, do a bit more then stop- if I over face him he will sull up, he has that attitude and at the moment he is coming up running when I call and doing what he does quite willingly. We have worked up a little sweat on two occasions, but I swear that was more form nervous energy than actual physical work.

Sandee, I have Ranitidene as I get it free, I am on it myself, so I may just put him on it anyway- he was doing a bit of teeth grinding, which sends up flags for me,he is quite highly strung, and very wilful.

He is looking great and I love to hear his stories too.

Sunny has escaped worked for the last 6 wks as I have had sick kids and been sick myself so that was that. But fingers crossed I might get to some something with him over winter.

Looking forward to more updates on DC

We are driving with the tyre out in the field.

Yes, Ladies and Gents, DC has left the round pen.

He then attempted to leave the field, me, and the ground, not necessarily in that order. Little TOAD!! He decided that the tyre out in the field (mowed, flat, working area about the size of a large manège) was scary beyond all belief, and he had to run away, pirouette, rear and generally have a nervous breakdown. As I had put down the whip to open the gate I had only my voice so I waited for a break in the action and roared "STAND" and to his and my amazement, he did.

I went to his head, took the halter and led him for a few minutes then slowly backed off till I was on the end of the reins again and he was pulling the scary tyre round the big scary field (I also grabbed the whip as we passed) He did all his huffing and puffing and bunched up and fidgeted, but he did do as he was told and we did some nice figure of eights and I eventually got a solid "Whoa" (against his better judgement as there were some really terrifying leaves blowing by)

He HATES the wind with a vengeance, so all I can do is keep working him in the wind, I guess.

He hates working, too, all he really wants is the apple he gets at the end!

We worked up a bit of a sweat today (him and me both) and I shall have to put a saddle cloth on as I have now adjusted the tree'ed saddle to fit (and he does not like that, either)

Just wait till I start bitting him, oh Lordy, I am not looking forward to it. Every day a new challenge. My back is killing me and I could hardly walk when I had finished.

On the up side, he is completely controllable in just a halter, so although he is head strong and pulls a lot in hand, I think he is going to have a nice mouth- rein control is total, even when pirouetting and half rearing! He also has never set his neck against me, which he could easily do.

He does want to please, he just does not want to work!!

We are driving with the tyre out in the field.

Yes, Ladies and Gents, DC has left the round pen.

He then attempted to leave the field, me, and the ground, not necessarily in that order. Little TOAD!! He decided that the tyre out in the field (mowed, flat, working area about the size of a large manège) was scary beyond all belief, and he had to run away, pirouette, rear and generally have a nervous breakdown. As I had put down the whip to open the gate I had only my voice so I waited for a break in the action and roared "STAND" and to his and my amazement, he did.

default_aktion033.gif
Way to go "Spotted Toad"
default_wink.png
And way to go Jane

I went to his head, took the halter and led him for a few minutes then slowly backed off till I was on the end of the reins again and he was pulling the scary tyre round the big scary field (I also grabbed the whip as we passed) He did all his huffing and puffing and bunched up and fidgeted, but he did do as he was told and we did some nice figure of eights and I eventually got a solid "Whoa" (against his better judgement as there were some really terrifying leaves blowing by)

He HATES the wind with a vengeance, so all I can do is keep working him in the wind, I guess.

He hates working, too, all he really wants is the apple he gets at the end!

We worked up a bit of a sweat today (him and me both) and I shall have to put a saddle cloth on as I have now adjusted the tree'ed saddle to fit (and he does not like that, either)

Just wait till I start bitting him, oh Lordy, I am not looking forward to it. Every day a new challenge. My back is killing me and I could hardly walk when I had finished.

On the up side, he is completely controllable in just a halter, so although he is head strong and pulls a lot in hand, I think he is going to have a nice mouth- rein control is total, even when pirouetting and half rearing! He also has never set his neck against me, which he could easily do.

He does want to please, he just does not want to work!!
LOL, this guy sounds like your average North American teen, so used to having things handed to them that real work seems too much to ask of them. Of course you have to accept that what they think is 'real work' is usually just being expected to follow directions.
default_rolleyes.gif
At least you will have the opportunity to work out the bugs on this boy as you go. The ones that worry me are the ones that just seem to calmly accept each step and then some day you find there is something they just can't take anymore.

rabbitsfizz said:
He then attempted to leave the field, me, and the ground, not necessarily in that order. Little TOAD!!
...I waited for a break in the action and roared "STAND" and to his and my amazement, he did.

... I eventually got a solid "Whoa" (against his better judgement as there were some really terrifying leaves blowing by)
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Oh, dear lord, I am so enjoying your posts!!

rabbitsfizz said:
Ya know, if I get laid off I you can have me for a month or two at a time for the price of a plane ticket and room/board! I muck stalls and could be bribed to bring a Hyperbike!
default_wink.png

rabbitsfizz said:
Isn't that nice? Kody's really terrible about setting his neck in-hand and physically dragging me down the road (after almost eight years of work he's finally getting better about it
default_rolleyes.gif
) but once a bit is in his mouth he's soft as butter. Well, most of the time.
default_unsure.png
He's either very soft or taking the bit in his teeth and bolting full-speed, but we won't talk about that!
default_shutup.gif
Redheads. *sigh*

Leia

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Oh, dear lord, I am so enjoying your posts!!

Ya know, if I get laid off I you can have me for a month or two at a time for the price of a plane ticket and room/board! I muck stalls and could be bribed to bring a Hyperbike!
default_wink.png

Leia
I'll keep you to that. What are you doing at the moment?

rabbitsfizz said:
I'll keep you to that. What are you doing at the moment?
Trying not to get laid off.
default_laugh.png
I'm still paying down my last trip to England!!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that you need to organise a few lectures, then do a tour- get yourself authorised as something- anything- by the ADS- Miniature or VSE Liaison officer?- and start writing!!!

rabbitsfizz said:
It seems to me that you need to organise a few lectures, then do a tour- get yourself authorised as something- anything- by the ADS- Miniature or VSE Liaison officer?- and start writing!!!
You funny.
default_laugh.png
What could I write about that someone else hasn't already covered better?

Now if I could find a way to get Kody and Turbo shipped over so I had them there with me, now THAT would be sweet. There aren't a lot of horses in your driving classes- it'd be neat to get some titles on the boys!
default_wink.png
Ah, dreams....

Leia

You'd be amazed at what people will listen to when you start to talk, especially if you have good pictures!

A lot of people here would sit just to listen to you talk about the weekends on the beach and see pictures of the horses in the sea. A different perspective is what is need- and a bit more confidence on your part!!

Leia, I have read everything I can find written by you. Your CDE4VSE page gave me enough information to actually start it. Your early posts and struggles with Kody gave me hope that I could do it too. There just isn't that much info on this subject for the beginners. Sure wish you would start writing and showing pictures. Mary

See, my point entirely!

Maybe we should split this post into two- one part can be the Ballad of the Spotted Toad and the other can be " Bullying Persuading Leia she would make a good public speaker/ Mini driving book writer!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back