I am so proud to be an Amercian!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not well known here, and haven't really participated in any of the pre-election topics, but had to add my thoughts here.
I am SO excited by the turn our country has now taken. I have always been proud to be an American. And I didn't just want Obama to be elected, I DO want him to keep his promises. The promises he has made on the issues that are important to me are the reason I voted for him - across my usual party line.

Obama's promises are what have given me HOPE! This country is amazing and beautiful and full of people who have more in common than I think they know. But we need change - the status quo is NOT working and I hope we do get the change we need.

I hope we can all pull together and work to make this country be the best it can be. We have the people and the resources to make us not just good - but GREAT! But we need to be the United States again - not the Red States or the Blue States. It is only United that we are strong.

Barbara
Welcome Barbara to the forum. Even though we all have our opinions I do believe we enjoy communicating with each other and we are not as bad sometimes as it seems
default_saludando.gif

I have found things my entire adult life to be proud of in this country and while he was not my choice to see how far we have come as far as race is refreshing. I would have loved it if the president, who ever got in, swept the election in a show of unity and support as that is what this nation needs most. That didn't happen but hopefully in the days to come things will simmer down and Obama can bring the country together.

On a side note I found this article on CNN, forgive me if you've seen it but I ddin't relize what was on the ballot in some states. There were some intresting things getting voted on across the country.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/ballot.measures/

ETA I do think that we should back off and let the Obama supporters relish their win. It's been a long two years of campaigning and all of us deserve some time away from the political stuff. On that same note the Obama supporters need to understand that my concerns over Obama presidential candidate do not go away just because he is now President Elect Obama. Understanding and tolerance cuts both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well heres my political view on OUR new President Elect and why I feel it was the BEST choice.

1. He is Neither BLACK nor WHITE he is BOTH!

2. His campaign will go down as the BEST run, says ALOT about who HE picked to run it.

3. He FIRED people up in a positive way.

4. He respects women look at his personal relationships, Grandmother, Wife, Daughters.

5. His overseas "visit" went well, and he has voiced his desire to "TALK", ALWAYS a good thing.

6. If force is needed he's willing to USE it. That was in his last speech.

I'm not looking for someone to take care of me, I can do that for myself. I'm looking for someone to take care of MY COUNTRY.

If you watched him give his speech, you could SEE the gravity of what faces this ONE man.

GOOD LUCK and GODS SPEED President Elect Obama, and this American has your back.

The decision on Prop. 8 really dampened my enthusiasm for the results of this election. Gives me something to keep me busy, though!

I hope that Obama will be what "you" think. Know that 47% of the voting population voted for McCain / Palin. If you were to take out either the youth vote or the black vote (98% of which was for Obama -- that huge percentage says racism to me but what do I know -- and I'd feel the same if 98% of the white vote was for McCain), it would have turned out differently. I hope Obama's up to doing what our Nation needs to have done during the next 4 years.

Jill you LOST me, ......because a majority of black americans voted that is racism. I think you have your ism's mixed up that's Patriotism.

And there again the bush years brought us OBAMA. So if history repeats itself he should be GRAND!

Cant really win, before it was the raciest card and now that its done and over its still the raciest card.

At the polling place I seen several older adults(70's or so) voteing for Obama. I also know severl younger people(my age) that were voting for McCain.

The decision on Prop. 8 really dampened my enthusiasm for the results of this election. Gives me something to keep me busy, though!
Yes that was really really really crappy.

If you were to take out either the youth vote or the black vote (98% of which was for Obama -- that huge percentage says racism to me but what do I know -- and I'd feel the same if 98% of the white vote was for McCain), i
default_no.gif

I think if the U.S. were a predominantly black country, if our histories were reversed and white people were caught from Europe and brought to the U.S., suffered 200+ years of slavery and were set free only to be treated as less than citizens for another 100 years, and then still to this day presented with the kind of prejudice we see, and I think that if there had never been a viable white candidate for presidency, that 98% of the white vote might have gone to the white candidate. Because in that candidate, we white people would have seen someone like us. Someone who knows our pain and our struggles, someone with a shared history that even the most well-meaning black people just couldn't understand fully. At least I think so. Since that's all hypothetical, I really don't know.

Oh, and then there's the little fact that ever since the 1960's, African-Americans have voted overwhelmingly with the Democratic Party. http://racism-politics.suite101.com/articl...voting_patterns

"The United States Census reported that 58 % of African Americans were voting in the presidential election of 1964. African Americans were voting Democratic 82% of the time. This number would swell to 92 % by 1968. With the exception of the 1972, 1984, and the 1992 elections Blacks would continue to give at least 80% of their collective votes to the Democratic presidential candidate says Minion K.C. Morris in African Americans and Political Participation."

Edit, because I didn't wrap up my thoughts:

I wouldn't call that racism. Looking at the reversed situation above, we as a demographic would have voted mostly with one party, probably because we like their ideals and think they'll do well for us. And then, if a candidate came along that was not only a member of the party that we as a group overwhelmingly support, but he had that shared experience, that shared history that the other candidates didn't have with us, I wouldn't be shocked if we overwhelmingly supported that candidate.

SO off TOPIC but Mary Lou your a MICHIGANDER, upper or lower?

Jill you LOST me, ......because a majority of black americans voted that is racism. I think you have your ism's mixed up that's Patriotism.
And there again the bush years brought us OBAMA. So if history repeats itself he should be GRAND!

Black people are American too.. My very BEST friend while growing up in Michigan was half black.. Too bad some people can not get past color..
Well, if 98% of the white vote was for McCain, I'd say it had something to do with racism, too. Obama got 98% of the black vote, and 52% of the popular vote. People can draw a conclusion that makes sense to them, or one that makes them feel warm and fuzzy.

Maybe you don't get what I said? ... I didn't say that because 98% of black people voted, that means there's racism. I feel that because 98% of the black people who voted voted for Obama, it indicates many black people voted along racial lines. 98% of the white people who voted did not vote for McCain, but if they did, you better beleive I'd feel we have a nation of Racist white people.

If you want to say me knowing the numbers means I'm a racist, you clearly know nothing about me or my feelings about other people (including my bi-racial cousins, but don't let me confuse anyone with the facts or the numbers).

Boy, talk about a SPIN FACTOR
default_wacko.png
It seems like a person says something and then a few others try to see if there is any way they can find room to be offended.

You're still young, Mary Lou :)

I turned 26 in 1975.

Susan O.

I guess it doesn't really matter who or what kind of people voted for which candidate, the way I see it and most of the tv announcers, Obama won by a land slide, 363 electoral votes compared to 173 for McCain. Or 52% - 46%. Either way, that speaks volumns to most people.

Yes Mary Lou,

I am amazed when I think of my age because I don't feel anywhere near that old. :)

Susan O.

I feel that because 98% of the black people who voted voted for Obama, it indicates many black people voted along racial lines.
Jill, I think you are absolutely CORRECT in this statement. I was just saying something very similar to my husband about that last night. I basically said that it was (in my opinion) a pretty tight race, and that if Obama had've been "white" things may have turned out differently. I too feel that there were probably MANY people that voted for Obama that maybe wouldn't have otherwise voted, and/or voted that way, if he had not been "black". I think there were a lot of people, (mostly blacks perhaps, but many others as well) that voted for Obama kind of because it was "history in the making". ie. The potential of having the first "black" President in American history. I am not saying it was right or wrong, or that I am happy/unhappy that he won, it was just something that crossed my mond.

And it also brought up another thought of mine, and that is, WHY are people referring to him as the first black President anyway? He is as much black as he is white, correct? So people are basing that soley on the color of his skin. If he was born taking after his Mom, with her skin tones, would he still be considered the first black president?

Anyway, congratulations on your new President and I hope he can prove himself to be a great leader for your country! He needs time to prove or disprove it, but I am sure he'll give it his all!
default_smile.png

anita said:
Obama will:
start the Department of Peace which will oversee every gov agency and every aspect of your life.
Wait, I thought that was the Homeland Security Agency?
default_unsure.png

Create a government agency in charge of all volunteer work in this country, coordinate it, make sure our children do 14 weeks of forced volunteer work.
"Forced volunteer work." Now THERE's an oxymoron!
default_wacko.png
He isn't putting them in labor camps, he's encouraging them to actually GIVE BACK. How horrible. Kids don't like to learn to share initially either, but we still make them do it. This is no different.

Sonya said:
It was the basis of his campaign... he's either a failure or a lier if they DON'T come true. I'm not against HIM, I'm against his ideas. American people voted for him because of false promises, not what people here are saying (myself included). People like the woman who was crying because Obama will pay her morgage and her fuel.
So true Nathan...

Problem is, many many of his supporters are saying they don't care if he comes through on his promises or not, as long as he got elected....doesn't make much sense to me. I'm hoping that many of his promises do not happen.
So basically you guys hated him because of his promises, now ya'll hate him because he hypothetically might not keep them. Would you please make up your minds already??
default_wacko.png
You're taking Catch 22 to an extreme. I understand you're scared and uncertain and feel there is no hope now and that is a very scary place to be. I know- we've all been there in the last few months! But since you can't change it, could you try being just the tiniest bit optimistic? It won't hurt anything and you never know, it might help.

I have to admit I really resent this line: "American people voted for him because of false promises, not what people here are saying." I'm sorry, but I'm an American person and I voted for exactly the reasons I've stated. I promise, I didn't have weird subconscious motives involving idiotic women who think Obama is going to single-handedly save their families. I voted for him because he was the first candidate in an age who actually brought the American dream to life again for me, who reminded me that Americans are capable of coming together regardless of race or age or gender and working for something we believe in. The American dream has gotten so lost in the political jungle that some of us forgot it was out there. Now, I think, is the time to take it back. And that is up to US, each individual American, not our President! Not our Senate, not our House of Representatives, our Congress, our Cabinets, or our agencies. US. The United States of America. If we fail we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Leia
Very well said Liea!
default_wink.png

President-Elect Obama won a majority of the popular vote, unlike one recent presidential election.

As for it being only the African American vote that determined the election, here is a breakdown by state, according to the New York Times website.

While with a few states you could probably make that argument, many of the states that went to Obama, sometimes by a large majority, are hardly home to great numbers of African Americans. (I believe that only3% of Iowa's registered voters are African American...but I need to check my facts on that. I can say that, outside of the major cities, Oregon and Washington are vastly white.

(sorry, the tabs do not come through here)

Obama was expected to win easily

E.V. Obama McCain % Rpt.

55   Calif. 61% 37% 97%

7    Conn. 60% 39% 98%

3    Del. 61% 38% 100%

3    D.C. 93% 7% 100%

4    Hawaii 72% 27% 100%

21   Ill. 62% 37% 99%

4    Me. 58% 40% 98%

10   Md. 61% 38% 99%

12   Mass. 62% 36% 100%

17   Mich. 57% 41% 100%

15   N.J. 57% 42% 99%

31   N.Y. 62% 37% 99%

7    Ore. 57% 41% 79%

4    R.I. 63% 35% 100%

3    Vt. 67% 32% 99%

11   Wash 58% 41% 67%

Obama was expected to win narrowly

E.V. Obama McCain % Rpt.

9    Colo. 53% 45% 99%

7    Iowa 54% 45% 100%

10   Minn. 54% 44% 100%

5    Nev. 55% 43% 100%

4    N.H. 54% 45% 100%

5    N.M. 57% 42% 100%

21   Pa. 55% 44% 99%

13   Va. 52% 47% 99%

10    Wis. 56% 42% 100%

Battleground states

E.V. Obama McCain % Rpt.

27    Fla. 51% 48% 100%

11    Ind. 50% 49% 99%

11    Mo. 49% 49% 100%

15    N.C. 50% 50% 100%

20    Ohio 51% 47% 100%

McCain was expected to win narrowly

E.V. Obama McCain % Rpt.

15   Ga. 47% 52% 99%

3    Mont. 47% 50% 100%

3    N.D. 45% 53% 100%

5    W.Va. 43% 56% 100%

McCain was expected to win easily:

E.V. Obama McCain % Rpt.

9    Ala. 39% 60% 99%

3    Alaska 36% 62% 99%

10   Ariz. 45% 54% 99%

6    Ark. 39% 59% 100%

4    Idaho 36% 62% 100%

6    Kan. 41% 57% 100%

8    Ky. 41% 57% 100%

9    La. 40% 59% 100%

6    Miss. 43% 56% 99%

5*   Neb. 41% 57% 99%

7    Okla. 34% 66% 100%

8    S.C. 45% 54% 100%

3    S.D. 45% 53% 100%

11    Tenn. 42% 57% 100%

34    Tex. 44% 56% 100%

5    Utah 34% 63% 100%

3    Wyo. 33% 65% 100%

* One electoral vote in Nebraska remains undecided. The state allocates its electoral votes on the basis of the results in each Congressional district. Only 569 votes separate John McCain and Barack Obama in unofficial returns from the 2nd District.

I feel that because 98% of the black people who voted voted for Obama, it indicates many black people voted along racial lines.
Jill, I think you are absolutely CORRECT in this statement. I was just saying something very similar to my husband about that last night. I basically said that it was (in my opinion) a pretty tight race, and that if Obama had've been "white" things may have turned out differently. I too feel that there were probably MANY people that voted for Obama that maybe wouldn't have otherwise voted, and/or voted that way, if he had not been "black". I think there were a lot of people, (mostly blacks perhaps, but many others as well) that voted for Obama kind of because it was "history in the making". ie. The potential of having the first "black" President in American history. I am not saying it was right or wrong, or that I am happy/unhappy that he won, it was just something that crossed my mond.

And it also brought up another thought of mine, and that is, WHY are people referring to him as the first black President anyway? He is as much black as he is white, correct? So people are basing that soley on the color of his skin. If he was born taking after his Mom, with her skin tones, would he still be considered the first black president?

Anyway, congratulations on your new President and I hope he can prove himself to be a great leader for your country! He needs time to prove or disprove it, but I am sure he'll give it his all!
default_smile.png
Thanks, Mona. It's a pretty clear observation in my opinion, too
default_yes.gif
Good or bad, right or wrong, "whatever". It just IS.

And of course I agree with you as well, that he is 1/2 white.

I just thought of something funny, but maybe it's only funny because I'm tired... It might be funny in a few years if he doesn't do a good job, will SNL do a skit where white people and black people argue if he's more white or more black, depending?

Back