I am so mad,. peed off. ugh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
took my 2 grand kids..14 and 12 and misty my silver dapple, daisy my timid girl and snowflake her yearling crippled up mess of a foal for a walk today. A nice march walk turned into an attack by a huge german shepherd that obviously will not be held in with an undeground fence.

Baby snowflake was taking up the rear. and out jumps this huge GSD from its yard..attacking her biting at her legs and sides.My grand daughter bless her heart tried to kick the dog..and I didn't even remember it until the grand kids told me, I turned screaming and charging the dog.Tthe owners came out and called off their piece of crap dog.

Luckily we are all ok.even dear little 60 pound snowflake. .except that I am beyond angry. I must have looked the site in my quiet little neighborhood,,jumping up and down and screaming and cussing and shaking my fist.yep fit to be tied and out of control for sure. HOW dare some persons dog hurt my baby and could have potentially hurt my grand kids.

Next time I will have a bb gun..and if we didnt live in town it would be a 22.

my favorite anti dog tool when i went walking is a hot shocker they use for cattle. They sell all kinds. Some have a wand for reach. you can even get a holster for some. Bought mine after two attacks on my dogs while I was walking with them leashed. made me feel better anyway. Sorry your babies got hurt and you were stressed. I HATE loose dogs. We live on 230 acres here and I never allow my dogs to run at large. In my opinion it is the owner of the GSD that is the piece of crap. They have trained their dog to be a menace and allowing their dog to be loose is dangerous. I would call dog control. Maybe they can be fined. best wishes.

ps, amazon even carries the hot shot... cheaper versions available if you search.. this is just an example.

(I deleted the link due to crude review comments. ) but you can google hot shock cattle shocker and see the different types.

pss... don't read the freaking customer reviews of this product. They are a bit crude. sorry. LOL. I had no idea folks would write such things. Mine is a pocket hot shocker. Never had to use it. Felt better carrying it after a dog came in and chewed up my min pin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry..I sure hope your baby wasn't hurt too bad..poor little girl

What a dangerous situation. I would report this to your animal control center

So sorry you had such a dangerous and scary encounter today!! You certainly should be able to walk in your own neighborhood without being attacked! We have had some of the same problems in our neighborhood. One of our neighbors have 11 dogs that are always getting loose. One day when we were not home they were scaring my minis so bad another neighbor had to go out and chase them away. I have actually seen these dogs chasing and trying bite people as they walk down our street. Why can't people be responsible for their pets!?!?!?

Hope that you all are Ok from that vicious dog!

Animal control in my experiance is a waste of time. Check with your Livestock officer. In Arizona dog owners can face criminal charges if their dog attacks livestock (horses included). Have personal experience when a pitbull broke loose and attacked my big horse while my grown daughter was riding him. It was ugly.

Often we blame the dog or the owner. However we all seem to forget why each breed was designed and what qualities were bred for. GSD were bred to herd livestock, pitbulls to take large animals down, GSP to point out birds, etc. People go out and get a puppy because it is cute, they do not do their research into the breed and fail to realize just what they are getting into, sometimes just thinking all dogs are the same. And most times it is okay, however there are times that the dog does what it was bred to do and the owner will stand there with their jaw on the ground in disbelief that Fluffy just attacked/killed someone or their pet. Then they will blame the victim that their dog attacked them.

I feel your pain and frustration.

I do not leave the property without a weapon of some sort, and any dog that is running loose is fair game as the law gives me the right to kill any dog harrassing my livestock. Bear spray works pretty well too. Search youtube for a video of it being used to stop a dog attack.

If it were me, I’d up the caliber a little... A BB gun is virtually useless against anything larger than a small bird or rodent. A 22 could do better if you smacked ‘em just right; my only frame of reference on this is I’m the one that “reins” in my husband and he’s put a 22 pellet or two or three into coyotes and it doesn’t even slow them up.

I am so sorry that this happened to your baby and the kids.

I hope everyone is ok after the shock wares off.

Poor little girl is going to be so scared now.

I have problems with dogs running loose here as well.

Try to turn them in so they get a fine. If you have any vet bills they have to pay them.

I am going to get that hot shocker, I was looking in to a gun to use when I went in the cart but the shocker may work better.

Less scary for my girl.

thanks everyone. We were very lucky. I don't know h ow snowflake got out unscathed. the dog was not playing..but i do not see any injuries. Man I hve ridden my big horse down that road. I can see a bad come apart there and will not be using that road again. It all happened so fast..I just couldn't seem to get to them fast enough. Boy if this isn't a reminder when i do my fencing to make it dog proof.

Thats too bad
default_sad.png
I hope Snowflake is alright now! Theres a german sheperd down our road who is kept in a kennel. But sometimes not. Sometimes when I'm riding down the road he'll keep barking at us, but thankfully never come over. The owners have young kids so I think they have him pretty well behaved. When they first got him they kept a muzzle and a shock collar on him, but he seems like a good dog now. They also have a little poodle ;) I take my mini on walks sometime down the road and it makes me glad that the owners kept it behaved etc. I hope the owners on that dog that came to yall will learn a lesson and that won't happen again!

Try Wasp and Hornet spray. We were told by a personal safety expert that is the best thing you can have on you in case of attack, and I'm guessing it would work just as well on a dog (or other animal). He said it was far preferable to pepper spray because it will cause a similar reaction, BUT it will spray 10-20 feet, meaning it's effective from a far greater (and safer) distance - your attacker (human or animal) doesn't have to be close to you for it to work. That's what I now take with me.

Yikes...I can only imagine how scary that was for all of you!

I'm a big fan of GSDs personally, but like any dog...when not trained or restrained properly, bad things can happen. We have a new neighbor just down the road that have two GSDs. I sometimes walk my horses that way. I plan to stop in and "welcome" them to the neighborhood. And talk to them about whether we'll have any issues when I walk that way again. Even if it's me alone, me with my own dogs or with a horse, I want to be sure everyone's on the same page.

Glad to hear that no one was seriously injured....

Your explanation of what transpired is exactly the reason why I've never felt compelled to take a walk with any of our horses around the surrounding neighborhoods. I just figure that that safest place for them is within the securly fenced compounds of my own property. At least then I know I haven't placed them in harms way and I can enjoy my time with them knowing that their safe.
default_smile.png

bsharp I was just going to mention your incident you had.... and the LONG recovery time it has taken on the horse, rider and you physically and mentally from the damage that was caused. The next person going by that house might not be so lucky! I would report it immediately!

I would file a complaint with the police. That way it is on record, if the dog does this again... or heaven forbid, tries to take a child down, just means the dog will be put down, before he hurts another.

Can't stand people that don't keep their dogs under control. One of worse kinds of low life's.....

Glad everyone is ok!

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and your granchildren. My trail horse that is now gone, was once a great guy that would tolerate dogs until.....the neighbors GS started chasing us and nipping at his heal. After that he cow kicked any dog that got into range. As for the minis, we have a neighbor that allow her dogs to run all over the place, that have harrased the minis and got them so upset they were trying to get out of the fenced in area, I called said owners three times, the dogs were still runiing, I called the police, I was told nothing they could do, well we took matters into our own hands. Now I'm a dog lover, and know that it is not the dogs fault they are hunting minis, they are lose dogs, but hubby shot one. the others of course ran off. Well guess who got the law called on them, us! Nothing was made of it, and the owners kept their dogs kenneled well for a while, but they are running again. I don't take mine off of the property anymore, this way I can shot to kill any dog on my property. Hate to say itm but running dogs that chase and attack are going to be shot here.

I agree with the others, file a police report so the attack is on fle.

Glad nobody got hurt!

Great suggestions, I have the same problem with dogs running lose. I even had a new resident continuously warning me and my daughter that their German shepherd is dog aggressive and jumps the fence - the 4' fence they had just put up when buying the house. I have no choice but to walk past their house when walking my leashed and well trained dogs! Finally I got sick of their warnings and told them that by telling me this it is STILL their responsibility if something happened. That my great Dane wouldn't CLIMB a 4' fence and I still put up a 6' fence just to be safe! Guess they thought that by warning us they would no longer be responsible if the dog got out and attacked. I called the Sherriff, he came out and let them know it was THEIR responsibility to keep their dogs contained. That's even though we live outside city limits. So the owners added electric wire and also enclosed their patio. Glad they listened...

Then the other day I walked my dogs past another house which I thought had privacy fencing all around - but discovered later that the fence is completely open in the back. The owners were by the garage and so were their dogs, a lab and a pitbulls. It took about 2.5 seconds and the dogs charged at me and my dogs while I was walking on the OTHER side of the street! I was shocked at how fast and bold these dogs were - usually I can ward off any dogs just by body language and voice alone but in this case, no chance. I yelled for the owners to get them and they did. What was the most dangerous is not that these dogs were vicious but MY cocker is fear aggressive with any dog that comes to close into his space. His reaction could very well trigger aggressiveness in another dog. I KNOW my dog so I never let another dog come to close to him. As his owner and leader it's my responsibility to him. Just because the loose dog is "usually" friendly doesn't mean it will be if mine reacts to it. I told the owners that they need to keep their dogs either on a leash, in the house or backyard if they won't stay with them at all times and they just got snappy with me. I usually carry a pepper spray but in this case I couldn't have been fast enough with anything! But the wasp spray or cattle prod is something I will look into. I'm worried about when I ride my horse through the neighborhood. I've had a couple of dogs run around during rides there, but if I point him towards them they usually tuck their tail in and leave. He gets annoyed by obnoxious dogs that get into his pasture and will chase them out but if one would try to attack while I'm on him I can just see that turning into a disaster...

I'm so sorry you had to endure that horrible situation.

Hugs,

Karen

It has been a loong road to healing for all of us. My daughter had to get rid of her goat and now I must get rid of mine. Seems their voices are so close to the sound of my daughter's cry for help that they trigger nightmares and panic attacks! (Some real uncharted territory for me). And the horse, even though physically he has healed, mentally he is suffering PTSD. He has lived his life in a very loving, gentle home and has never known aggression. So now at 23 he is having to deal with confidence issues. I am working with him to help him through this, he saved my daughter's life that day by doing everything he was asked, even remaining calm during the attack. So I owe it to him big time to help him. And my daughter is just now enjoying riding again, only took 6 months to get her back on a horse and out riding.

Check with your state and local laws regarding dogs chasing, injuring, killing livestock. Know your rights. Know which agencies really will do something.

We called the sherrif the night of the attack. A deputy came out along with an animal control officer. There were no reports written or filed on the attack. The dog owner was given a warning for bot having rabies or tags. Hubby called the livestock commission and they sent out an officer who cited the owner under AZ law. He finally took a plea deal and has to pay restitution. I wish they would have done more to him, especially since him and his parents stood there watching their dog attack and did nothing to help.

Latest posts

Back